Dolby atmos upfiring speakers help needed

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
ellisdj said:
these are a competetively priced alternative solution to the bouncer style speakers available as well.  These seem like a really good idea SonofSJ started a dedicated thread on them 
The dealer never said heights are better than ceiling. Read it again ellisdj; Jag is justifying why 5.1.4 is better than 7.1.2 (which I always maintained and you disagreed with me). That's because not all base (non-Atmos) discs utilise 7.1, as many are 5.1. But all Atmos and DTS:X discs will use all 4 height / Atmos speakers.

Perhaps you are indeed going bonkers! ;)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BB I am definitely mad, known that for a long time but I dont think I am bonkers.

That thread is interesting one as jag is suggesting putting speakers at 30 degrees in height which is the recommended for auro.
However I don't know if you have been to epic cinema but his facility is huge in terms of width and length but low relatively in terms of height with raised 2 rows of seating. I think 2 rows of 4 seats. So in that environments ceiling speakers seem obvious because of the coverage issues but he actually really likes auro as well I have read him write quite a few times. I wouldn't think it would work well in there but it obviously does.

The more interesting part is there are a few examples in there of people's lounges where they show photos. Both show just how hard it is to follow the atmos guidelines but also how people have got round it. They didn't just go 4 on ceiling because they felt they had to and I would hazard a guess that they get the damndest same effect from what they have done.

If you look up people who have used front heights they say they get a wider, taller front sound stage with more depth to the sound. So that is a big plus of using them in this orientation and is a good option especially if you have 3 low front speakers to go beneath a tv for example. In your case that might have been an option to have all 3 speakers the same height and vertical orientation but then enhanced with front heights to add height etc to enhance the sound stage. That is what I was asking Benedict_Arnold about but he installed his main speakers high.

Or if you sit short ways across a typical living room long through lounge type room there isn't the ceiling space but that's not the only option available. The auro layout is ideal in this situation.

The irony of my own listening room is I really do lack wall space due to a lot of acoustic treatment. The only usable space I really have is the side ceiling areas where dolby recommend placement - what's the irony of that :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
EDIT - these are a competetively priced alternative solution to the bouncer style speakers available as well. These seem like a really good idea SonofSJ started a dedicated thread on them

Cheaper version of the Klipsch RP-140SA units I keep banging on about. I hope Prime Elevation have a good lawyer, because if Klipsch has a patent, Prime Elevation is going to be in trouble.

Anyway, you can acheive much the same effect with any bookshelf speakers and angled mounting brackets, or by taking a saw to the cabinets' backs.

Either way, its a step up (probably) from ceiling-bouncers, but not quite the full Atmos.

Benedict_Arnold said:
bigboss said:

EDIT - these are a competetively priced alternative solution to the bouncer style speakers available as well.  These seem like a really good idea SonofSJ started a dedicated thread on them 

Cheaper version of the Klipsch RP-140SA units I keep banging on about.  I hope Prime Elevation have a good lawyer, because if Klipsch has a patent, Prime Elevation is going to be in trouble.

Anyway, you can acheive much the same effect with any bookshelf speakers and angled mounting brackets, or by taking a saw to the cabinets' backs.

Either way, its a step up (probably) from ceiling-bouncers, but not quite the full Atmos.

You haven't quoted properly; it's ellisdj who said that, not me.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Anybody remember the Monty Python Sketch...

Where Michael Palin walks into a room, John Cleese is sat behind a desk?

Palin asks Cleese "Is this the right room for an argument?"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts