Does well recorded music steer you away from listening to other?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Nope, I listen to my favourites, or whatever I let my laptop throw at me from the 7,000 or so tracks on it.

bobchiba

Mar 16, 2008
Visit site
I've recently been thinking about this alot. Had a massive turn around in my desire to upgrade. My main source is usually a squeezebox via a vintage Arcam Black Box Dac with spoitify or my flac library. My other source is a rega planar and a range of vinyl used/new from various decades.

No matter what format I was listening to there were always albums that just sounded flat and compressed (not file size compressed, as in range compressed during mastering) and it is unfortunately unescapable. I went back to using an older creek 4040s2 and am so glad I did. It's got such a lovely 'swing' to it and is powerful for 30w but it's one negative quality of being overly warm and very un-analytical has turned into my saving grace as I enjoy far more recordings than on my previous more modern/expensive amp which I would get fustrated at because I was hearing bad engineering.

Definately made me realise even if I had a more disposable income I wouldn't splash on esoteric gear at all.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes and no.

After i started using a valve-amp (from 2005 on, or so) i like to listen to "well recorded" music because that is much more rewarded then, but also found out that less well recorded music sounded better also. Only really flat, noisy, music sounds even less dynamic, but i can hear more details then before. I listen less to loud music then before because the valve-amp "shows me more "colours" in the music without need for playing loud, but also because i'm getting older and i am fading away just a bit from loud music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts