Does this work?

Bluezip82

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
I recently had an email from a well known stockist of hifi accessories extolling the use of ReVeel to clean discs. They claim "by uniquely removing a film from discs, left as part of the manufacturing process, your music will sound more detailed, 3-dimensional and with deeper bass".

Has anyone used this cleaner and does it work like they claim?

A

Anonymous

I once heard it and I was amazed by the outcome. I am very sceptic with these hifi voodoo stuff, but this for me was an eye opener.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
snake_oil.png

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I'd give it a miss. If you are really interested in cleaning your discs, some non abrasive plastic polish and a soft cloth would work.

Cleaning discs is valid, but only if already dirty and you will simply lessen any disc read errors, rather than improve any particular quality.

Scratches can be polished out, again , with a soft cloth and some fine plastic polish.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I’m not expert in the area but surely when it comes to a digital signal at this stage of the chain it either gets through or it doesn’t? Perhaps I’m over simplifying it but the claim form the seller sounds like complete balls to me.

I’ve got a duster that improves soundstage no end, yours for a £100.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It's not quite so simple that it either gets read or it doesn't. Well I guess it kind of is, but the complication is that there are algorithms to make up for minor data-loss, where the player 'guesses' the missing bits and carries on without skipping. However the theory goes that the fewer guesses the software has to make because of read-errors, the more accurate the sound. So for that reason your discs should be as clean and scratch-free as possible.

That said, I can't see why such a miracle system would be any better than cheap denatured alcohol.

As for the sound...easy way to tell. Rip a song off a CD before cleaning it. Rip it again afterwards. Load them up into audio-editing software, invert the phase of one, merge it over the top of the other, and if you're left with utter silience then there really is no audible difference. You can't fool science.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Record Collector reviewed it in 2010:

"The result? A more detailed sound, wider panoramic, greater clarity and bass control".

I also got the email, at £18.50 its still to much to try for curiosities sake, less than a tenner and i may of gave it a whirl. £30 was the original price :O

A

Anonymous

The clean disc I've seen was far more expensive. Anyway, it worked.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
It's utter nonsense. A damp cloth and then a dry will clean a disk.

Any benefits anyone has heard are complete placebo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts