Question Does anyone still use a radio tuner?

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
I was reminiscing (had to look up the spelling) about some of my hifi from the olden days :)

I came across a piece of equipment, that I had quite forgotten about.

It was my tuner.
My last model was an Akai ST-S7.

Akai ST-S7.jpg
Bought purely on looks and price
Mine was silver.

I never knew what happened to it, but it got me thinking.
Does anyone still have a tuner and do they still use it?

I now listen to internet radio and the odd DAB broadcast (Radio London/LBC) on my small mains powered radio (Roberts Stream 94I.... I love it )

nads

Connected mine up the other week.

8udZC2l.jpg

podknocker

Wow! A NAD T585 disc player! I had one in silver and it cost £200 from Richer Sounds, many years ago. The best sounding disc player, I've ever owned. It had an 'etched in air' holographic quality and I had it through a matching silver NAD amp, the C355BEE, which also cost £200 new, in the Richer Sounds sale. My speakers were KEF Q35i and yes, they were also £200 and the entire system, with cabling, came to £621 and it was the best sounding kit I've ever owned. I have new, quite expensive kit now, but I can't say it sounds better, just different. I did connect an old Cambridge Audio DAB300 tuner and it sounded OK, until they started cramming more radio stations into the already congested multiplexes. I remember many stations starting off with 256kb/s and many of them ended up at 96kb/s and they sounded really rough and artificial. That put me off DAB tuners and I never bought another. I now stream many stations via my new kit and the sound quality and ease of access, are terrific. I don't think there is a really good quality FM/DAB device out there now and if there was, it would be limited to a few dozen stations. Internet radio is the future and I listen to it for hours, daily.

Last edited:

nads

Wow! A NAD T585 disc player! I had one in silver and it cost £200 from Richer Sounds, many years ago. The best sounding disc player, I've ever owned. It had an 'etched in air' holographic quality and I had it through a matching silver NAD amp, the C355BEE, which also cost £200 new, in the Richer Sounds sale. My speakers were KEF Q35i and yes, they were also £200 and the entire system, with cabling, came to £621 and it was the best sounding kit I've ever owned. I have new, quite expensive kit now, but I can't say it sounds better, just different. I did connect an old Cambridge Audio DAB300 tuner and it sounded OK, until they started cramming more radio stations into the already congested multiplexes. I remember many stations starting off with 256kb/s and many of them ended up at 96kb/s and they sounded really rough and artificial. That put me off DAB tuners and I never bought another. I now stream many stations via my new kit and the sound qulaity and ease of access, are terrific. I don't think there is a really good quality FM/DAB device out there now and if there was, it would be limited to a few dozen stations. Internet radio is the future and I listen to it for hours, daily.
a lot of the 585 internals are the Masters player of the time. I also had the 540 CDP (I think) as you will see from the sig I have (and had) a few NADS.

the Tape and tuner were part of my first proper set up with a NAD 3130 and some AR (something) speakers Back in 86ish.

the tuner is there as a bit of fun and for when the internet is down.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
a lot of the 585 internals are the Masters player of the time. I also had the 540 CDP (I think) as you will see from the sig I have (and had) a few NADS.

the Tape and tuner were part of my first proper set up with a NAD 3130 and some AR (something) speakers Back in 86ish.

the tuner is there as a bit of fun and for when the internet is down.

Still have and use my c540 cd player. A great sounding cd player.

DCarmi

and a cassette deck!
Still have my Cambridge Audio CT-50 cassette deck connected, which I got, in about 1991. Don't really use it much now but I can't quite bring myself to ditch my tape collection until the thing dies. It is supposed to have a terminal fault due to the transformer coils eventually failing but mine keeps going.

Reactions: Symples

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Still have my Cambridge Audio CT-50 cassette deck connected, which I got, in about 1991. Don't really use it much now but I can't quite bring myself to ditch my tape collection until the thing dies. It is supposed to have a terminal fault due to the transformer coils eventually failing but mine keeps going.
DON'T get rid of your tapes.
I made that mistake many years ago.... and still regret it.
Lots of memories

matthewpianist

My last tuner was a Denon TU-260L. It was a lovely sounding (and hugely popular) affordable model, but I just don't see the point anymore, and as much as it gets staved off it's only going to be so long until they switch the transmitters off for analogue radio and TV.

I now use the Denon DNP800NE - a fine sounding unit, easy to operate using HEOS and it offers internet radio alongside access to all the main streaming service (my preference being TIDAL, though I do also use Spotify on occasion).

Reactions: nopiano

abacus

My last one was probably in the 90s (I think it was a Pioneer), I also have one built into my AVR but never use it as everything I need is available online. (And providing you stick to proper channels the quality is just as good (Or better) than any tuner)

Bill

Reactions: matthewpianist

elliswils

Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
Never stopped listening to my tuner and have always had one.

Currently it's a Cyrus FM7.5 on my main system and a TEAC T-H300 on my Vincent valve set up.

Prior to that another Vincent, and NADs as far back as I can remember.

Like vinyl, cassettes, CD and everything else; just because 'they' say a format is dead or dieing just keep on doing what you enjoy! Sooner or later it will come back around and you'll be the biggest fashionista ever.

matthewpianist

Never stopped listening to my tuner and have always had one.

Currently it's a Cyrus FM7.5 on my main system and a TEAC T-H300 on my Vincent valve set up.

Prior to that another Vincent, and NADs as far back as I can remember.

Like vinyl, cassettes, CD and everything else; just because 'they' say a format is dead or dieing just keep on doing what you enjoy! Sooner or later it will come back around and you'll be the biggest fashionista ever.

Vinyl and cassette don't depend on continuation of service, but analogue radio does, and the end has already been mooted more than once. It's a bit like the recent ending of fax services - when something takes up bandwidth and infrastructure, can be equalled or bettered by more modern technology, and is no longer used by sufficient numbers of people, it will be withdrawn.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
There is a 'cassette revival' in certain quarters (which I personally don't quite get) in view on both how flawed the format is and how difficult/nigh on impossible it is to find good quality new tapes. Never mind the need to refurbish the machines in many instances.

I guess radio is slightly different and an old style tuner can still be used. They tend to work and work for a long time.

Why one would is another question.

matthewpianist

Just like vinyl...

Not really... The beauty of vinyl, as with CD, is that there will always be plentiful secondhand supply, and once you've got a collection it's always there irrespective of any wider decisions that are made out of our control.

I'm not at all deriding anyone for continuing with older forms of radio while it's still possible, simply pointing out that availability of service isn't infinite.

AJM1981

Tuners became quite obsolete here in The Netherlands after the radio signal was dropped from the cable a while ago. At least in a significant amount of regions.

Solutions are an antenna, DAB+ systems or Internet radio. I mainly use the latter.

If anyone from another country is searching for a quality cheap second hand tuner, aim for the Dutch market.

AJM1981

There is a 'cassette revival' in certain quarters (which I personally don't quite get) in view on both how flawed the format is and how difficult/nigh on impossible it is to find good quality new tapes. Never mind the need to refurbish the machines in many instances.

I guess radio is slightly different and an old style tuner can still be used. They tend to work and work for a long time.

Why one would is another question.

Kind of understand the cassette revival. Vinyl got an audiophile revival and kind of at consumer level too. Those crossley players might not be the best, but they are fun for all non audiophiles who just want to spin some records.

Cassettes ( in the way the masses used them) are not that much about the quality, but about the fun. Also many pop artists miss spreading something physical. Online music is quite dead in the sense of the lack of offering a connection with the product and owning something from an artist or band.

DCarmi

Cassettes ( in the way the masses used them) are not that much about the quality, but about the fun.
I am not sure about fun. At the time they were convenient because you couldn't travel listening to vinyl and you could make your own mix tapes.

Nowadays, it is so much easier to take your streaming service on your ubiquitous phone. I get buying vinyl or CD for physical ownership. I don't get cassette tapes for the same purpose.

Reactions: matthewpianist

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts