Does anyone own an OLED TV?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Just having a higher resolution doesnt make it a better tv.

If you desperately want 4k resolution for whatever reason then you have little choice with tech.

However i have seen the top sony - great and vibrant images very impressive typical of LED type tech running high contrast but it went straight into jet black hardly any gradation. Not so impressive to me - that was just my take on it.

I think its funny blu.ray has been around for how long and the best stuff.visually has.been released last year or so. Which i think bodes well for a good few years yet of better and better content still

It's very simple; I'm not buying a Panasonic. Samsung plasma is hard to find. More importantly, I don't change TVs frequently so makes sense for me to go for 4K. Breaking bad is one of the programmes I would like to watch in 4K.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
I think it is a little harsh to rule Panasonic out because of a few peoples faulty sets .panasonic has been king of the tvs for a few years now so when they get their act together with 4k and OLED they will still be right up there with the best or be the best .

every one can do with their money as they please, but when time came from me to upgrade Panasonic wouln't be one of them!

I'm on the third Samsung with no problems what so ever, never had problems with Panasonic as well, but never had one screen from them... :grin:

T

theflyingwasp

So if this time next year the sony ,LG ,Samsung and Panasonic flagship tvs come out 1080p ,4k or OLED and your in the market for a new tv you wouldn't go for the Panasonic even it was the best reviewed across the board just because you've had no problems with your last 3 samsungs?

I've never had any love for LG I consider them a cheap brand but if my ZT packs in next year and I check out the reviews of new tvs and LG are king of the hill I'd happily invest in LG.

T

theflyingwasp

:) yes and no .we could skip hand in hand into any cash generator in the land and find a mountain of LG tvs .your LG washing machine better have wifi!

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
simonlewis said:
You sound like a brand snob theflyingwasp, btw i love my lg washing machine and so does a freind of mine. :p

not a a brand snob, just simply the best 1080p picture around. I go for quality and panasonic is the best and the 2013 pannys can't be beaten to date. For LG, buy cheap buy twice.......

I'll put my VT up against any 4k TV and it will beat it hands down in all areas.

:poke:

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Series1boy said:
I'll put my VT up against any 4k TV and it will beat it hands down in all areas.

Except 4K, because your Panny can't play it! ;)

yes state the obvious BB, :) my point is the current 4k sets have a long way to go to beat the 2013 panny plasma' with no content available to rival bluray, it's not worth investing at the moment. My second point was at mr Lewis re his comment being a brand snob; for those who purchased a. 2013 panny plasma, would have done so because it was the best at that time, and in my opinion and many others on this forum still is.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I've had panasonic for seventeen years, a CRT for ten/eleven years i fancy a change and i will almost certainly change to samsung for my next tv.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
bigboss said:
Series1boy said:

Except 4K, because your Panny can't play it! ;)

yes state the obvious BB, :) my point is the current 4k sets have a long way to go to beat the 2013 panny plasma' with no content available to rival bluray, it's not worth investing at the moment. My second point was at mr Lewis re his comment being a brand snob; for those who purchased a. 2013 panny plasma, would have done so because it was the best at that time, and in my opinion and many others on this forum still is.

Agreed.

Considering LG as a cheap brand and writing it off would be a mistake. It's the 2nd largest manufacturer of LCD panels also found in TVs from other manufacturers like Sony and Panasonic. Currently, it is the only company who has been able to manufacture OLED TVs at a viable price, and have patented it.

This report claims that LG is world's largest LCD TV and panel manufacturer, surpassing even Samsung:

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/110214_large_area_tft_lcd_shipments_grow_in_2010_reaching_665_million.asp

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
This report claims that LG is world's largest LCD TV and panel manufacturer, surpassing even Samsung:

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/110214_large_area_tft_lcd_shipments_grow_in_2010_reaching_665_million.asp

People seem to be disrespecting LG for no very good reason. There really isn't much difference, in all aspects including black level, of my much-maligned (especially by me! :) ) £1,300 LG 60PZ950T television in the kitchen and my generally acclaimed £2,300 Samsung PS64D8000 in the parlour. Both calibrated on the same day in July 2013 by Stephen Withers.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
It's very simple; I'm not buying a Panasonic. Samsung plasma is hard to find. More importantly, I don't change TVs frequently so makes sense for me to go for 4K. Breaking bad is one of the programmes I would like to watch in 4K.

Streaming Breaking Bad in 4k? Seems unlikely. Even if you get it to stream without buffering I can't see how the quality will end up better than watching the blu ray.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I know it is. No one on the discussions I read seemed optimistic about the prospects of streaming it properly, so good luck. Sure you'll let us know how you get on. Will it stream the DTS-HD soundtrack?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
i've been to john lewis this afternoon looking at the tvs and i was drawn to the 1080p lg oled tv, if lg release a 4K tv oled tv this year, if the price is right, say about £3000 this time next year and i have enough money in my bank then i think i will be buying one.

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
i've been to john lewis this afternoon looking at the tvs and i was drawn to the 1080p lg oled tv, if lg release a 4K tv oled tv this year, if the price is right, say about £3000 this time next year and i have enough money in my bank then i think i will be buying one.

:cheers: I like the LG's too. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts