Does anyone own an OLED TV?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
gel said:
bigboss said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:
Are there any reviews of calibrated LG OLED? Would be interesting to see if there were any significant improvements from out of the box...

Yep here: http://www.avforums.com/review/lg-ea980-55ea980-curved-1080p-oled-tv-review.9969 Black levels, contrast and dynamic range 10 out of 10, 4K TVs only get 8 out of 10.

Samsung UE65HU8500 got 9 out of 10. :grin:

The 55inch only got 8, have you got a link?

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/samsung-hu8500-curved-ultra-hd-4k-led-tv-review-now-online

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
8 here:

http://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-hu8500-ue55hu8500-55hu8500-curved-4k-ultra-hd-led-tv-review.10332

That's poor!

No, it says 9!

At the bottom in the rundown it say 8 out of 10!

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:
Are there any reviews of calibrated LG OLED? Would be interesting to see if there were any significant improvements from out of the box...

Yep here: http://www.avforums.com/review/lg-ea980-55ea980-curved-1080p-oled-tv-review.9969 Black levels, contrast and dynamic range 10 out of 10, 4K TVs only get 8 out of 10.

Samsung UE65HU8500 got 9 out of 10. :grin:

The 55inch only got 8, have you got a link?

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/samsung-hu8500-curved-ultra-hd-4k-led-tv-review-now-online

This is only 8 too! :)

I don't know what you're seeing. Both conclusion and verdict is 9 out of 10. That's what I see. I'll try to copy paste:

Conclusion9
AVForumsIcon.svg
SCOREOUT OF10

D

Deleted member 2457

I am talking about black level, dymamic range and contrast - the most important part.

D

Deleted member 2457

In the rundown I said black level, dymamic range and contrast is only 8 not the overall score, we have just got our wires crossed again! :grin:

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
I am talking about black level, dymamic range and contrast - the most important part.

I think the most important part is the overall conclusion. :D

See wee are looking at different things! I originally referred to black level, dymamic range and contrast but you were saying the overall score was 9, which is true too. I am surprised as a plasma man you don't want higher than that!

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
You've got to be realistic as well. I'm not going to spend stupid money on untested technology. OLED needs time to mature. I think it'll be at least another 2-3 years.

True, but going from your plasma, black rating 10 to a 8, I wouldn't do it. You're going to miss it, I have tried loads of TVs each time I went back to plasma. I wouldn't buy anything less better than I've got. I do like the Sony 4K it is really good, but I don't see the point?

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
It still gets a highly recomended badge which can't be bad.

Yeah, but it's not as good as we already have.

gel said:
bigboss said:
You've got to be realistic as well. I'm not going to spend stupid money on untested technology. OLED needs time to mature. I think it'll be at least another 2-3 years.

True, but going from your plasma, black rating 10 to a 8, I wouldn't do it. You're going to miss it, I have tried loads of TVs each time I went back to plasma. I wouldn't buy anything less better than I've got. I do like the Sony 4K it is really good, but I don't see the point?

I don't think that way gel. I enjoyed the demo immensely with excellent blacks and contrast. The difference is much smaller than I thought, and the size more than made up for it.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Series1boy said:

:cheers:

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Black levels are very important to me too. I made that mistake when I purchased the panny 46pz 6 years ago, and was kicking my self for not buying the kuro 5090 ever since. I'm now a happy chap with the VT and I would be very disappointed if I had anything less..

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:

I don't think that way gel. I enjoyed the demo immensely with excellent blacks and contrast. The difference is much smaller than I thought, and the size more than made up for it.

Really! I have demoed TVs before and thought they have great black levels but in reality they weren't that good. Readings don't lie, I would be careful.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
Black levels are very important to me too. I made that mistake when I purchased the panny 46pz 6 years ago, and was kicking my self for not buying the kuro 5090 ever since. I'm now a happy chap with the VT and I would be very disappointed if I had anything less..

That's the same here, I would hate anything less, I crave better still! :wall:

gel said:
bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:

Really! I have demoed TVs before and thought they have great black levels but in reality they weren't that good. Readings don't lie, I would be careful.

Well, I'm happy with what I've seen so far. I'm moving soon, and it is time to upgrade. Panasonic is out of question. So I will decide between Samsung and Sony. I've been disappointed with Sony's design. Oldboy couldn't be happier with his Samsung after moving from Panasonic.

T

theflyingwasp

I think it is a little harsh to rule Panasonic out because of a few peoples faulty sets .panasonic has been king of the tvs for a few years now so when they get their act together with 4k and OLED they will still be right up there with the best or be the best .

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I reckon some are just hell-bent on wanting to try and better others...... 4K is the way forward ( I think) and oled is only suited to small screens ?

Imagine, you CAN get a 4K TV right now for about 2 grand... five times that of HD :)

I have oled on a samsung 22, sure it is swell, a SMASHING picture, no where near five times hd though.

D

Deleted member 2457

Alantiggger said:
I reckon some are just hell-bent on wanting to try and better others...... 4K is the way forward ( I think) and oled is only suited to small screens ?

Imagine, you CAN get a 4K TV right now for about 2 grand... five times that of HD :)

I have oled on a samsung 22, sure it is swell, a SMASHING picture, no where near five times hd though.

55inches is hardly small, is it? :?

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:

Well, I'm happy with what I've seen so far. I'm moving soon, and it is time to upgrade. Panasonic is out of question. So I will decide between Samsung and Sony. I've been disappointed with Sony's design. Oldboy couldn't be happier with his Samsung after moving from Panasonic.

:cheers: Some pictures, please. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts