Does anyone have or heard how loud AVI ADM9.1 go?

Viao-2008

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have or heard how loud AVI ADM9.1 go? thinking of getting a pair and pairing it with B&W PV1D but want the mid/high to me loud as i knoe the sub will do the base just fine. Thanks

T

the record spot

I think they've got 250w to the bass driver and 75w to the tweeter. Should be ample for any typical domestic dwelling.

Viao-2008

May 11, 2013
Visit site
My bedroom is around 4m by 4m and i like my music very loud and thumping do you think they will do the trick? I like dance / house music. Do you think i will need a sub or will they be good enough with out?

Thanks for you help

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
According to the MD of the company that makes them...

"The ADM9.1s are capable of a maximum continuous SPL of 108 dB with a 6-10 dB Threshold. They are clean as a whistle at 100 dB measured 10 metres away at the NEC in Birmingham."

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:

"The ADM9.1s are capable of a maximum continuous SPL of 108 dB with a 6-10 dB Threshold. They are clean as a whistle at 100 dB measured 10 metres away at the NEC in Birmingham."

I strongly suspect that there's some marketing puff in this.

100dbs at 10 metres equates to 120dbs at 1 metre. That's 117dbs per speaker at 1 metre for a stereo pair.

The 9.1's are about 85dbs/2.83v/1 metre efficient. This means that in order to deliver 117dbs at 1 metre they would need about 1500 watts. That is give or take a bit. They're active so you get a 3 db increase in SPL for that, but the bass drivers are quite low impedance so you'll get about a 2 db decrease in SPL per watt for that.

I think it is stretching credibility to say that the AVI ADM 9.1 amp packs can deliver 1500 watts as clean as a whistle - ie without clipping.

I think that the reality is that AVI ADM 9.1's can hit peaks of 108dbs at 1 metre and can deliver about 104 dbs continuous at 1 metre without clipping. What we really need to see is some independent laboratory measurements to determine whether my approximations are more accurate than Ashley James' claims or not.

104 dbs at 1 metre should still be plenty loud enough for most listeners.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:

well, that quote speaks volumes about how seriously should be taken what that MD says about his speakers. 6-10dB threshold is not just some minor hike! it's not like saying: look I have a 108cm elastic string, but it can be stretched to 118cm (i.e. not so much considerable difference). in acoustics it means the amps will need to instantaneously pump quadruple to 10-times the rated power! no amp can do that. not even "specialy designed to work with the driver" AVI amp. and as per my thread devoted to questioning whether AVI amp is even capable to output 250W (into 8 Ohm load) I certainly don't think it could instantaneously deliver 2500W per woofer!!! :rofl:

another thing is that claimed clean 100dB output at 10m. :rofl: again. to put things into perspective; quasi point source speakers like small monitors loose 6dB of volume level per every doubling of distance at which you measure acoustic output. if the speakers were to be capable to output 100dB at 10m it means they should be capable of outputting ca. 120dB at 1m, which in itself contradicts what the MD says about long term volume output of his product. but one may say: hey, those are calculations for anechoic conditions! what about room reinforcement? fair enough. 10m distance means very large room so there wouldn’t be too much of reinforcement in the first place but let’s be over generous and let’s provide for 5dB of reinforcement. That means the speakers should output ca. 115dB at 1m to be capable to output 100dB at 10m. 115dB from even a small dynamic speaker is possible but it will be anything but clean. I don’t know exactly what THD values apply to such loud volumes because I was never interested to investigate what happens at volume levels I will never play my stereo at, but we’re easily talking about 10%THD in the midrange and a lot more at frequency extremes. such distortion level is very audible. furthermore, I don’t know what woofers AVI uses but let’s be generous and assume they are some 90dB efficient jobbies. That means that in order to reach 115dB at 1m you need an amp capable to deliver over 600W long term. how does it stack against claimed 250W output? yet another fallacy on AVI side....

I say whoever has some self-perseveration instinct would do well to stay away from AVI.

[EDITED BY MODS to remove actionable description of manufacturer]

Viao-2008

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks you both for getting back, i don't really understand what you mean in terms of how loud 104 dbs would sound but it does seem quite a lot of watts 75 for tweeter and 250 for woofer for such a small speaker quite unbelievable when my CM8 are 150watts each?. I currently have B&W CM8 and Rotel RCX- 1500 and it clipps before you really feel the music and thats what i want to feel it, Thats why i was thinking get these and a sub and maybe that would do the trick? as i don't want loads of separates. or can anyone recommend good loud active speakers thats good for dance music /house?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I think the only thing for it, is to hear the AVIs for yourself. Whereabouts are you ?

Theres a small band of AVI haters on here who seem to be getting ever more desperate in their attempts to rubbish the speakers. My sig will tell you what I think.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
That isn't true, Richard 42. One of the AVI MDs has a history of making unsubstantiated claims about his products, and there's not a HiFi forum where these haven't been queried .

Myself, I'm probably sure that the AVIs go plenty loud enough, and certainly sure that I'd never play them too loud anyway. That doesn't mean I think the comments made above are out of order, nor that the figures need scrutiny.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
If the OP wants loud with plenty of bass they he needs a big speaker with big drivers.

Any bookshelf speaker active or passive trying to output over 100db of punchy bass you can feel will sound like a pig giving birth to a car alarm.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Viao-2008 said:
Thanks you both for getting back, i don't really understand what you mean in terms of how loud 104 dbs would sound but it does seem quite a lot of watts 75 for tweeter and 250 for woofer for such a small speaker quite unbelievable when my CM8 are 150watts each?. I currently have B&W CM8 and Rotel RCX- 1500 and it clipps before you really feel the music and thats what i want to feel it, Thats why i was thinking get these and a sub and maybe that would do the trick? as i don't want loads of separates. or can anyone recommend good loud active speakers thats good for dance music /house?

I think if you are getting the Rotel to clip you are either applying some bass boost or listening quite loud. You will probably need more efficient speakers, possibly PA based ones if you like it really loud!

Get an app for you phone to measure SPL (its rough but at least gives you some sort of impression).

Viao-2008

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I am near Newcastle don't think we have any local dealers checked on the site. Will have a look at them missions thanks. Sopose your gonna allways get good and bad feedback

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
:)

xls215_lg.jpg

Viao-2008

May 11, 2013
Visit site
@hoopsontoast thats the thing with the rotel you can't change the sound settings it has no bass or treble controls. I know the PA speakers would be the best opition but they would be to big for my bedroom

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a pair of the ADM 9T, an earlier version, which I had in a 6+m x 5+m room. It was not possible to get them to run out of puff and this was checked with earplugs to protect my ears. The bass is of very high quality but I'm sure others might want more.

The latest models, the ADM 9RS/S, have more bass output so you could see later whether you need the sub. The AVI sub is £800 and the PV1D @ £1200, I know what one I would buy. It is the size it is for a purpose and was created to be a matched system with the 9 series.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Viao-2008 said:
Does anyone have or heard how loud AVI ADM9.1 go? thinking of getting a pair and pairing it with B&W PV1D but want the mid/high to me loud as i knoe the sub will do the base just fine. Thanks

Very loud indeed, I doubt that shear volume level will be an issue, bass response however might be.

ADM's have vey tight, controlled mid bass, say 80 to 300hz, compared to most speakers at this level. This can lead to them appearing to be a bit bass light for some tastes, particularly if you are talking about playing dance or house music at anything approaching subjective club levels.

A subwoofer may not be the answer, it should be rolling off, quite steeply above about 80hz and may not give you the mid bass kick that you want. Ideally you really need to know where the bass power is concentrated, in my experience it is usually at a higher frequency than you think, reinforcing the sub bass may make the rom rumble and shake but it is not going to do anything for the bass kick.

Back at the beginning of the month I started a thread "If you want a bigger bass............" extolling the virtues of a the Mackie HDR series active studio monitors. They have a prodigious bass output for their size and far greater kick than the ADM's, though the latter are a more sophisticated package.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts