Does anyone have or heard how loud AVI ADM9.1 go?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
That isn't true, Richard 42. One of the AVI MDs has a history of making unsubstantiated claims about his products, and there's not a HiFi forum where these haven't been queried .

Myself, I'm probably sure that the AVIs go plenty loud enough, and certainly sure that I'd never play them too loud anyway. That doesn't mean I think the comments made above are out of order, nor that the figures need scrutiny.

im all for scrutinising claims, and would like to see some proper independent analysis. It's hard for anyone to prove their credentials on a forum, but feels like there's a lot of copying and pasting going on.

If the OP would like to investigate the AVIs properly I hope he can get to hear some. I'd suggest going to AVI forum for a bit of help. There are a small number of dealers dotted around. There may also be some private owners that wouldn't mind some 100db+ demoing :).

Re. The out of order bit, did you see oldrics comment before it was moderated ? I'd guess that could be considered libellous.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
richardw42 said:
I'm not sure i could. Unless I was loaded.

I understand there is a no-quibble returns policy (may be as long as 28 days...not sure) to compensate for the fact that few people are able to demo. Apparently though, there are very few returns.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I have heard the AVI 9.1Ts (not RS or RSS updates) against some other top range speakers - my impressions are in 'my system' thread linked in teh sig.

I can highly recommend them. You will not have any issues with loudness and they will be cleaner than most at high levels. Go for it.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
richardw42 said:
Re. The out of order bit, did you see oldrics comment before it was moderated ? I'd guess that could be considered libellous.

Which was why it was moderated. No doubt the AVI forum itself is being just as circumspect behind its firewall.

Not a comment on the moderation, but what was originally typed by the member in question.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Viao-2008 said:
Does anyone have or heard how loud AVI ADM9.1 go? thinking of getting a pair and pairing it with B&W PV1D but want the mid/high to me loud as i knoe the sub will do the base just fine. Thanks

The bass extension of the ADM9s will be improved by adding a subwoofer to the system. Although there are many people who are happy to use them without a sub so it may be worth listening to them on their own first to see what you think.

If you do decide that you want to use them with a subwoofer then I suggest that you consider the AVI 10" subwoofer because it's designed to be used with the ADM9 speakers so you're guaranteed that it will integrate seamlessly. It's also a bit cheaper than the B+W PV1D too. There are many people who use non AVI subs with the ADM9s and are happy with the results though.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
richardw42 said:
I think the only thing for it, is to hear the AVIs for yourself. Whereabouts are you ?

Theres a small band of AVI haters on here who seem to be getting ever more desperate in their attempts to rubbish the speakers. My sig will tell you what I think.

richardw42, would you include me in this small band of AVI haters?

Do you agree with what I said in my first post in this thread? If there's anything that you disagree with in what I said then please state so and please say why you disagree.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Viao-2008 said:
...can anyone recommend good loud active speakers thats good for dance music /house?

The Event Opals are excellent. They can produce good quality loud deep bass down to 40Hz. They also sound nice and clear in the mid and treble frequencies too.

Personally I'd go for the ADMs with a sub based on looks and VFM but the Opals are worth consideration too.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes and No. I'm all for challenging the figures, but (I'm talking generally), it does sometimes spill over into something else.

I do agree that its about time for some independent testing.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't say I particularly disagree with anything in your post. I haven't done any measurements, nor do I intend to, so I'm not really in a positin to do so.

J

jcbrum

Viao,

If you can drive to the factory in Nailsworth, Gloucester, and back within a day, it's well worth a visit. Ashley usually provides lunch and you'll get to hear all the current AVI products in a domestic environment, in more than one room.

Otherwise, Birmingham is fairly central, and I happen to know that Five Ways Hi-Fidelity Ltd (AVI dealer) currently has 9s and subs on demo.

Failing that, I suggest a post on the AVI forum will probably find a nearby existing owner who will demo his kit for you.

For myself, I can say that ADM9s go very loud indeed without distortion or boomy bass. The AVI sub is an optional extra which integrates very well if your musical preferences demand such a device.

JC

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
There is many a hi-fi component/system that I couldn't stand the sound of.

Many people here express dislike for many products (and their manufacturers) on a regular basis. They frequently use words like 'hate' (or worse) and yet, it only ever seems to be an issue when an AVI product is involved.

Why is it that someone can criticise Naim or Arcam or Linn or Panasonic (or whoever) in the strongest terms but, when it comes to AVI, everyone has to tread on eggshells or face a multi-pronged attack from members of the AVI forum?

I have frequently criticised Naim, Arcam (and even Rega) on points as various as their sound to things like their looks or some of the nonsense their manufacturers come out with regarding cable direction or warm up times (for instance).

I have never got 'jumped on' in the way that would - inevitably - happen if I criticised AVI.

I am not about to criticise AVI products on any grounds of sound, build or quality because I have not personally experienced them. Sometimes I have been known to suggest trying them to people as a possible solution. I trust that they are as good as the reviews and their users - here and elsewhere - say they are. I don't have any doubts that they are a high quality product.

But what is so special about AVI, in particular, that they are beyond criticism in a way that other manufacturers aren't?

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
richardw42 said:

[AGAIN MODERATED]

in face of known science most of the more over the top statements from AVI will certainly not live up to scrutiny. all I wrote in my previous post on page 1 of this thread is based on known science. I even made generous allowance to my assumption to give AVI the benefit of doubt. and still there's no way in this world that those speakers can play cleanly at 100dB output at 10m, not to mention having a dynamic headroom of 10dB!

I can understand you love your speakers because they give you what you seek for in audio replay. and I can understand that for that reason you may feel emotionally connected with the brand. but clearly that connection takes away logical reasoning from you because there's nothing wrong with what I or Lindsayit wrote about AVI's claims. I think it's about time to sober up.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I use my ADM9Ts with a Beresford DAC (for the inputs and volume knob). I made the mistake of turning them on with the Beresford set to full volume once and it made my ears ring. And the AVis were not near full volume.

They are plenty loud enough.

You do however need a sub if you like deep bass. Their own is obviously ideal, but I use a BK XXLS 400 to great effect.

Personally I think the B&W sub is all show. The BK I have for a third the price goes lower and louder, cleanly. The B&W does look rather nice though.

As for Oldric...( self moderated)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
richardw42 said:
I wouldn't say I particularly disagree with anything in your post. I haven't done any measurements, nor do I intend to, so I'm not really in a positin to do so.

Thank you for that clarification Richard.

So, what do you think is more likely to be an accurate figure for how loud the AVI ADM 9.1's will go?

100 dbs at 10 metres / 117 dbs peak per speaker at 1 metre

or 91 dbs at 10 metres / 108 dbs peak per speaker at 1 metre?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'll admit the top figure is blinking loud.

PI like loud music but I'm not sure i get anywhere near that figure. I don't think it would be that pleasant.

I wouldn't think it likely I'd want to turn them up quite that much.

Some years ago I sold my M3 to a guy who had done some racing. To be blunt he tested it to its full potential. I was quite put out. Just because it was capable I was never inclined to put it to that test. But I was always confident it could perform to the levels I wanted.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
fr0g said:
I use my ADM9Ts with a Beresford DAC (for the inputs and volume knob). I made the mistake of turning them on with the Beresford set to full volume once and it made my ears ring. And the AVis were not near full volume.

They are plenty loud enough.

You do however need a sub if you like deep bass. Their own is obviously ideal, but I use a BK XXLS 400 to great effect.

Personally I think the B&W sub is all show. The BK I have for a third the price goes lower and louder, cleanly. The B&W does look rather nice though.

As for Oldric...( self moderated)

I was going to say similar: I'm not sure the AVIs and the B&W sub will be a good match. By all accounts the AVI are a clean / neutral figure whereas the figures I've seen on the sub (can't remember the website now I'm afraid) measures terribly. This accords with when I've heard it as well. I'd also say if you're used to B&W the AVIs may take a lot of getting used to.

Messiah

Is it groundhog day?

I knew what I would read as soon as I saw AVI in the title :grin:Don't you people get tired of this merry-go-round?

Firstly I would sugest you demo the speakers if possible. Let this help you decide and try not to let the battle that commences EVERY time AVI is mentioned detract from your goal.

My opinion on the matter though is that the speakers are more than capable at any volume but I would say you would certainly need a sub for the kind of bass I think you desire.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Viao-2008 said:
Does anyone have or heard how loud AVI ADM9.1 go? thinking of getting a pair and pairing it with B&W PV1D but want the mid/high to me loud as i knoe the sub will do the base just fine. Thanks

Dynaudio BM5As are around 117dB @ 1m, the ADM9s are louder. My room is approx 6m by 4m and the BM5As would be loud enough for most in this room, but I bought the ADMs for more headroom if/when I move to a larger place and also to keep the speakers well away from clipping.

Every speaker has its limits, but for most home listening, they'd be more than adequate.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
richardw42 said:

PI like loud music but I'm not sure i get anywhere near that figure. I don't think it would be that pleasant.

Some years ago I sold my M3 to a guy who had done some racing. To be blunt he tested it to its full potential. I was quite put out. Just because it was capable I was never inclined to put it to that test. But I was always confident it could perform to the levels I wanted.

Why the politicians type answer to my simple question? All I was looking for was a straight and simple answer to my question.

I will repeat the question again:

So, what do you think is more likely to be an accurate figure for how loud the AVI ADM 9.1's will go?

Fr0g and Messiah, you are also welcome to answer this question, if you wish.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
That's because its a daft question. I've never measured any speaker let alone AVIs.

You're asking for an opinion from someone not qualified to give one.

100db @ 10 metres can't be far off a road drill can it ?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
richardw42 said:

Why the politicians type answer to my simple question? All I was looking for was a straight and simple answer to my question.

I will repeat the question again:

Fr0g and Messiah, you are also welcome to answer this question, if you wish.

I've done it for you, with a little help from Dynaudio.

If 100dBs @ 10m is proportional to 117dBs @ 1m, then the BM5Aa can manage that at peak. As I have said, the ADMs provide more headroom than the BM5As, (which I also had) and are louder, but quite how much would need to be tested. Loud enough in most cases though for sure.

Back to back, the ADM9s were obviously louder than the BM5As and stayed composed at those levels as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts