Does anyone have any experience of acoustic panels?

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

I would be interesting in hearing about experiences with acoustic panels or other room treatments.

I am about to put a large pair of speakers in a small, lightly furnished room and have a few nagging doubts on how successful its going to be (my house is being renovated so I can only speculate at the moment).

The room is 2.5m x 3.5m (upstairs), it is going to have some lightweight curtains, a carpet and a fabric sofa in it. It is a modern house so has 'dot and dab' walls.

The speakers are likely to be KEF R500s.

My brother suggested that I might need to get a rug on the rear wall to dampening the room a little. This suggestion got me thinking about acoustic panels. They are cheaper than a nice rug and I would guess more effective?

Has anyone else tried anything like this? If so how did you get on and how did you decided about panel placement?

Thanks in advance of any thoughts.

A

Anonymous

A rug is not an effective means of absorbing reflections (if thats what you want to do) don't waste your money. I own a couple of panels by Gik acoustics which are there to absorb first reflections and they do this very effectively. Used along the side walls they have actually increased sounstage width considerably as well as focusing centre image and overall depth perception, the key is not to overdue this and deaden the room.

Best advice I can give is speak to Gik who will take into account room dimensions, coverings, equipment and what your trying to acheive, most of their very useful advice is free. Bottom line is this has been one of the most cost effective system upgrades I've ever experienced, more than any amount of money spent on buying electronics. Sadly all to few try this route as they don't think they'll see any worthwhile difference or its just not as sexy.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Spectre, I'll give them a try.

Did you try your panels in any other positions in your room? I ask because I have two windows on the right hand wall and a fitted wardrobe on the left. This only leaves me the wall behind the speakers and the wall directly behind my listening position to play with.

Have you tried bass traps as well as panels?

I know the difference a good room can make to the way a hifi can sound. I just can't imagine how much difference a panel that covers a very small percentage of the room can make - I'm looking forward to finding out.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi. I've seriously looked at acoustic panels myself previously, but now my money (hopefully temporarily!) has run out it's a bit too late at the minute!

Anyway, I found this to be a helpful guide to pinpoint your rooms reflective spots (scroll maybe 3/4 down to find the sub-heading "Mirror, mirror on the wall..."

Hope it might give you a pointer.

A

Anonymous

inbox4 said:
Thanks Spectre, I'll give them a try.

Did you try your panels in any other positions in your room? I ask because I have two windows on the right hand wall and a fitted wardrobe on the left. This only leaves me the wall behind the speakers and the wall directly behind my listening position to play with.

Have you tried bass traps as well as panels?

I know the difference a good room can make to the way a hifi can sound. I just can't imagine how much difference a panel that covers a very small percentage of the room can make - I'm looking forward to finding out.

When I bought my panels I had a really clear idea of what I was trying to achieve plus I don't have any room layout considerations to deal with as its a dedicated room, I have nothing other than Hi Fi in it. I did try my panels directly behind and in the centre of the speakers and it does make a difference to the image focus, it also tightened up and absorbed some of the bass frequencies. As I only use mini monitors this was not the best solution for me, I actually need the speakers to excite the room a little in order to get decent bass response from my system. Thats the reason I haven't used bass traps either, I don't have excessive amounts of bass to deal with that will mask the midrange and treble or cause any time delay, the KEFs may need this though.

My panels are also free standing which gave me a lot of flexibilty to experiment with different positions rather than make lots of holes in the walls. Where they are now has made the sound extremely 3 dimensional, the soundstage is not restricted to the plane of the speakers and everything behind that. Rather musicians and sound actually projects forward from the speaker plane into the room and sometimes it will wash over the listener, the effect visceral as well as addictive. The other noticable difference has been to smooth out the treble response, if you have a sytem that sounds hard or bright its the ideal solution.

Again I'd say speak to GIK, they have a guy (Glenn) that will take into account all the factors your dealing with and give you free advice as to best course of action before you purchase anything. Regardless of your room I'm sure you'll hear an appreciable difference in your system with even just a few treatments in place for relatively small finacial outlay. Most folk spend a fortune on electronics trying to attain similar sonic benefits, and no I don't work for GiK.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I made two of my own - wooden frame filled with a piece of 10cm acoustic rockwool, then covered with Camara fabric (same as acoustic panel makers use). If you're short of cash - this is a good cheap easy route to follow.

I've got them positioned behind front speakers and work well.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
@ Spectre - I tried calling GiK this afternoon and left a message asking someone to call me. I've not heard from them yet but hopefully they'll get back to me. Thanks for the contact name.

@ DandyCobalt - hi and thanks for your post, I have a few questions...

Why did you build them and what was it about the sound you were aiming to change? What effects did your panels have? Did you experiment with them in different positions?

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
inbox4 said:
Hi all, I would be interesting in hearing about experiences with acoustic panels or other room treatments. I am about to put a large pair of speakers in a small, lightly furnished room and have a few nagging doubts on how successful its going to be (my house is being renovated so I can only speculate at the moment). The room is 2.5m x 3.5m (upstairs), it is going to have some lightweight curtains, a carpet and a fabric sofa in it. It is a modern house so has 'dot and dab' walls. The speakers are likely to be KEF R500s.

My brother suggested that I might need to get a rug on the rear wall to dampening the room a little. This suggestion got me thinking about acoustic panels. They are cheaper than a nice rug and I would guess more effective?

Things like trugs are frequency specific, average rug probably effective upper mid-range to HF. As I no longer have a nag and I'm not fussy about looks I have used these in a frame and decorative covering. http://www.canford.co.uk/PINTA-ACOUSTIC-TILES the results were exempary with a much improved imaging stage and clarity in vocals and massed strings.

Oh, I have also heard the new KEF R500s after they had about 100hrs use, just one superlative springs to mind... MAGNIFICENT!

Has anyone else tried anything like this? If so how did you get on and how did you decided about panel placement?

Thanks in advance of any thoughts.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
I have a boxed pair of R500s in the other room and can't wait to be able to get them set up!

I'm envious that you've heard a run in pair. The pair I heard were new but were still amazing and convinced that life would not be complete without a pair!

What size was the room you heard them in and what was the partnering equipment?

A

Anonymous

http://ezinearticles.com/?7-Silly-Soundproofing-Myths-to-Avoid&id=2824235

A

Anonymous

This

http://ezinearticles.com/?7-Silly-Soundproofing-Myths-to-Avoid&id=2824235

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Spectre said:
Best advice I can give is speak to Gik who will take into account room dimensions, coverings, equipment and what your trying to acheive, most of their very useful advice is free. Bottom line is this has been one of the most cost effective system upgrades I've ever experienced, more than any amount of money spent on buying electronics. Sadly all to few try this route as they don't think they'll see any worthwhile difference or its just not as sexy.

Thanks for the pointer to GIK, I've got two panels from them for starters, good advice, good value products and good delivery time.

A

Anonymous

Hi Inbox,

its Bass Traps that you want and you cant have too many.

My room is slightly smaller than yours but due to an obsession with bass traps/broadband absorbers (one an the same thing) i'm able to use my ATC 40's and C1 sub and to get incredible sound quality even at high volume.

The traps i use are from BLUE FROG AUDIO based just inside North Wales near to Chester. Well worth a chat with Joe. They sell a few bits on a well known market website so isn't hard to track down.

Id suggest that you trap the area directly behind your listening position and then at the first reflection areas to the sides of the speakers although you did mention that this isn't possible because of a wardrobe ? i'm not sure if this is to be a dedicated room, if so i get rid of the drobe.

The absorbers, mine are 4' x 2' by 5" will tame bass response but will also absorb mids and highs thus controlling echo and flutter.

As mentioned by somebody else a rug on the wall is pretty much pointless as are some of the foam products touted as wonderful.

Ideally, depending on how far you want to go your room can be tested with a mic. This will show your room modes. You can also feed your rooms dimensions into a program but is less accurate. Depends on how serious you want to go.

Anyway this is my project http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n9uu3L52UA

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
+1 for GIK.

Emailed them for advice and got a couple of their bass traps for the 2 room corners.

The effect was a subtle improvement in the imaging and the ability to play a bit louder.

You can't expect miracles. But it works and if you count professional advice and proven materials, it's more cost effective than the DIY route IMO.

afterworks

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Definitely make your own with rockwool. Depends how far your willing to go but use 100mm RS60 for the bass traps, in every corner f the room. Then 100mm RS45 for the panels. Also put up a cloud hanging from the ceiling using RS45.

Treat behind you and either side of your listening position.

Don't waste money buying the thin stuff as they only treat the really top end.

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
afterworks said:
Definitely make your own with rockwool. Depends how far your willing to go but use 100mm RS60 for the bass traps, in every corner f the room. Then 100mm RS45 for the panels. Also put up a cloud hanging from the ceiling using RS45.

Treat behind you and either side of your listening position.

Don't waste money buying the thin stuff as they only treat the really top end.

I agree, just get a smuch of the rockwool you can in those corners to tackle the low end

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions, especially those who recommended GIK. I contacted GIK and had excellent service from them. They suggested that I install 2 x monster bass traps behind the listening position and 2 pairs of stacked tri-traps in the front corners.

So far, I have purchased and installed the monsters which have made the sound more even and enjoyable. The top end is much more defined and is no longer shrill. Also, the room no longer echoes. I still have a bit of boom on around 5% of music but perhaps this will be resolved when I add the tri-traps to the front. I'm doing it in stages to monitor the differences, decide if I need everything that was recommended and to spread the cost.

Overall, I'm very happy. Thanks again to everyone for your input.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts