Does anyone else out there like 3d movies

T

theflyingwasp

People really are saying 3d is dead .i personally feel that when people realise that proper 4k content and affordable equipment is friiken years away.next years consumer electronics show might see the return of 3d

i understand that people who never wear glasses must find the 3d thing weird,but the eye fatigue is mainly down to a image that is to dark causing the eyes to work harder.

watched top gun the other day in 3d and really enjoyed it followed by g.i joe retaliation and jack and the giant slayer ,in the pitch black and with a decent size screen and don't see what's not to like ,yes there's good and bad 3d films but avatar ,Hugo and Prometheus in 3d are excellent

nws56

Oct 4, 2008
Visit site
No, I dont .

The 3D effect does not look 'real' , whereas normal 2D has a better portrayal of depth

and dimension . If I want to watch a film and be drawn into into its world , temporarily

forgetting the mechanisms that are producing it - has to be 2D for me.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I enjoy watching 3d films, but have to agree with bigboss, it has to be used correctly to get the full benefit of it. If its not used correctly it can look silly. It makes no difference to me about the glasses, I use glasses daily so wear contact lenses to the cinema but glasses at home as the active 3d panasonic glasses I have fit ok over my existing glasses.

abacus

No I don’t (It really is a waste of space) plus all active systems (Even calibrated ones) give me a headache after 10 minutes. (Passive is fine though)

As to 4K, I give it 2 years max before it becomes readily available. (This will soon fly by)

Bill

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I also feel it looks unnatural. The only film I have ever enjoyed in 3D has been Toy Story 3, so much so that I forgot it was in 3D while watching it. There were no objects being pointed at you, it just added depth to the image - more like the way we see, not that silly layered look.

4K might be a year or two away, but it is a much more exciting concept for film fans.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
3D was always about manufacturers keeping their production lines going and paying their staff rather than any real interest from the consumer. I don't deride them especially for that. When you have a massive factory and retail network employing 1000's of people around the world, I guess the management announcement of "Well guys, we've decided not to develop any new products this year because people don't really NEED anything new" wouldn't go down too well.

I saw Star Trek Into Darkness in 3D at the cinema. It completely ruined it for me. The next time I go to a cinema, I'd deliberately avoid the 3D offering.

I'd prefer to look at a nice sharp detailed 2D image every time.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I personally really like 3D - and I am really looking forward to getting a few new films to watch soon and I hope they keep working on it making it better. I also think it benefits 2D as the 3D based films seem to have the best pictue in 2D - its like more effort is put into the visuals fullstop which is great

2 main problems I think with 3D at home.

1. Out of the box 3D pictures settings are rubbish - so the image quality is nothing like how good it can be. Get the TV calibrated and be prepared to be amazed.at how good 3D can be and the depth and quality of the image you can have at home.

2. The other main problem is tv size vs viewing distance. I think most people probably have 50" tv's now - and depending on how far away you sit from the screen will really affect 3D. I think 3D needs to be big to be at its most effective and even with a big set 65" you need to sit close to it 7 - 8 feet.

When you have 3D image calibrated good - mine isnt perfect but but I have seen the difference that is possible withn a calibration - you forget your watching 3D through glasses to a large extent and you just watch the film.

The side effects are its a bit darker thansk to the glasses but again thats why its so imprtant to have a good calibration so dark scenes still have the clarity of a light scene.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Leeps said:
I saw Star Trek Into Darkness in 3D at the cinema. It completely ruined it for me. The next time I go to a cinema, I'd deliberately avoid the 3D offering.

Ditto, the 3D in Into Darkness was absolutely awful - worst than the last Harry Potter which I had vowed would be the last 3D film I watched. Unfortunately, the BFI IMAX only had a couple of 2D showings during the work day, so I figured I'd try out the 3D version as I was keen to see the film there.

Next time I'll either go to a different cinema or, more likely, wait for the Blu-ray to come out.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Some of the best 3D is on the Sky-3D channel especailly david atenb....very good quality indeed. They had some really good movies on a while ago Dredd/avengers/captain america etc and were all a good watch, personally I prefer 3D at home to the cinema..... 8)

T

theflyingwasp

Im 9ft away from 60inches and the image looks pretty darn good.i used wrath of the titans to demo for people and they were blown away.even if 4k equipment was cheaper a lot of the films i like might never get a 4k remaster .ben hur ,lawrence of arabia and wizard of oz etc are no brainers these are prestige films but all our guilty pleasure movies that we all like werent even given a decent blu ray remaster

So having my 4k projector or my 25 grand 84inch sony tv is it gonni be worth even the recent after earth wasnt totaly filmed in 4k all the special effects shots were 2k

How long will it be till the dark knight trilogy gets a 4k remaster,the departed,aliens, the list goes on and all the upscaled to 4k nonsense how much upscaled dvds look as good as the blu ray.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Even if 4K is a way off, why do we have to have 3D instead? Surely "standard" HD i.e. 1080p is fine for the time being? It is for me anyway.

I don't see why this is an "either ... or ..." situation?

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Like i said in a previous thread, 3D needs setting up properly! A dark screen giving eye fatigue, proves my point. It needs to be watched on a large screen, correctly configured, properly set up. Just plugging any old bluray player into your telly, the result would be disapointing! People have said wearing glasses to perceive the image, is why it never took off! I imagine there are two camps? Those with a dedicated home cinema, good gear etc. Then those adopters who trialed it as a new gimick, never really devoting the time required to allow it to grow. Those of you who say 3D blew you away, it added dimension etc :dance: The rest :wall:

Cheers

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
professorhat said:
there.

Next time I'll either go to a different cinema or, more likely, wait for the Blu-ray to come out.

Ditto.

I haven't seen a single of this summer's blockbusters because I couldn't find any local cinemas showing them in 2D in a decent-sized screening room, and I don't want to pay £20+ for the privilege to watch them in some tiny one with rubbish sound....

Still, means i've got a lot of Blu-rays to look forward to from September....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
a lot of the films i like might never get a 4k remaster .ben hur ,lawrence of arabia and wizard of oz etc are no brainers these are prestige films but all our guilty pleasure movies that we all like werent even given a decent blu ray remaster

Vast majority of the James Bond movies were remastered in 4K for the recent Blu-ray boxset; Skyfall was shot in 4K. And you don't get much more guilty pleasure than that. :)

Damn, just realised that's yet another expensive boxset i'll be buying somewhere down the line ....

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
sogophonio11 said:
Like i said in a previous thread, 3D needs setting up properly! A dark screen giving eye fatigue, proves my point. It needs to be watched on a large screen, correctly configured, properly set up. Just plugging any old bluray player into your telly, the result would be disapointing! People have said wearing glasses to perceive the image, is why it never took off! I imagine there are two camps? Those with a dedicated home cinema, good gear etc. Then those adopters who trialed it as a new gimick, never really devoting the time required to allow it to grow. Those of you who say 3D blew you away, it added dimension etc :dance: The rest :wall:

Cheers

I would have thought the BFI IMAX should count as a large enough screen (given it's the biggest in Europe)? Plus I was seated in the premium seats i.e. I paid extra to sit in the best possible viewing position. And I'd hope they've properly calibrated their display there :)

Despite all of this, the vast majority of 3D films I've seen have been abysmal to watch because the 3D blurred everything and there was no definition to the picture. The only one which was passable was Toy Story 3, and even then, it didn't add anything - the film would have been just as immersive in 2D, as any good film will be.

Don't get me wrong, I know some people like it and I understand that, but please respect that there are also people that really don't in its current form, no matter how well it's setup.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
That sounds like an uncalibrated screen, I wouldnt assume its perfectly calibrated for every viewign far from it - its probably calibrated at first and thats it.

I am also guessing its passive 3D in the Imax - my experience of cinema passive 3D is not very good - active 3D on the other hand is very different and 99.5% (film depending) free from blur, cross talk and other nasties

I was planning to visit my local Imax at some point, glad I have never bothered now

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
professorhat said:
ellisdj said:
That sounds like an uncalibrated screen, I wouldnt assume its perfectly calibrated for every viewign far from it - its probably calibrated at first and thats it.

Sorry, not sure what you mean by this?

Indeed. The BFI IMAX is run to incredibly exacting standards: this is from the website explaining how BFI IMAX works with its ODEON partner:

"Will the BFI have any involvement in how the cinema is run?

The contract is for a concession operation. This means that the BFI have a significant say in how the cinema is run. Quality of visitor experience, especially quality of film projection and sound, is very important to the BFI and we have formed a partnership that can deliver a high quality operation not the cheapest operation.

Has BFI IMAX been converted to a digital IMAX format? Will there be any reduction in the size of the screen?

We installed a brand new screen in July. The new IMAX screen was made in Canada and once unpacked it took a team of ten strong riggers to haul the 800kg of perforated vinyl up the full 20 metres height of the screen under the supervision of an IMAX engineer.

It took 48 hours for all the creases to drop out of the new white screen. During this time a purpose-built spray rig was installed. A laser control ensured that the spray gun was always an exact distance away as it made its way up and down the screen, spraying a special silver paint that will ensure that light is reflected in straight lines off the screen. It is silver because a white screen would refract the light and this would cause ghosting of the image.

During these two weeks, an IMAX 3D Digital projector was also installed alongside the IMAX film-based 3D projector, so that the BFI IMAX now has the option to present all IMAX DMR films. The plan will be to show 70mm film prints whenever available until IMAX unveil their brand new laser-based projection system that can fully take the place of 15/70 film."

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
At present I have two pairs of active 3D glasses, LG's AG-S250. I am trying to buy one or two more pairs of eBay so that three or four of us can watch, in the kitchen on my much-maligned but recently calibrated (including 3D calibration) LG 60PZ950T television, my one and only 3D Blu-Ray, namely Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Parts 1 and 2. It does come with the 2D version included. I do not expect to buy another 3D Blu-Ray any time soon, although in a weak moment I might overlook the allegedly thin plot to buy the 3D disc of Life of Pi, which Home Cinema Choice magazine about three months ago introduced as "Award-winning adaptation sets a new high-water mark with its stereoscopic spectacle" and "it's undoubtedly one of the most visually spectacular movies ever made." and "Make no mistake about it, this is an achingly beautifully film, brilliantly realised in Full HD 3D via a flawless 1.85:1 MVC encode." and summarises as "Ang Lee's visually dazzling piece of cinematic spectacle is also the best 3D BD money can buy".

You can read the bits in between the quotes, and also find out about the reference grade audio, here

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/life-of-pi-3d-review/16025

D

Deleted member 2457

I don't mind them. I saw Ice Age 4 and Wreck It Ralph in 3D at the cinema and thought they were okay.

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I was talking about HOME CINEMA! Not the local flee pit. 3D watched at home on decent kit properly calibrated etc. Watched one film at a multiplex and walked out half way through! Complete sxxx. Paper glasses!! 3D served up with russling pop corn bags and yaking kids etc. And kit that belongs in a museum! I consider my home cinema very much middle of the road compared to some people i know. But it wipes the floor with all the commercial cinemas i have ventured into over the years! And wandered into , only to compare mine with.

Active glasses, properly calibrated display, decent movie ( That shot in true 3D in the first place) Out of this world! You cant get that at a commercial cinema. I really just dont understand how folk can not be taken by it? :? :O

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts