Does anyone actually like Dolby Vision or HDR over HDMI?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Oppo have had firmware updates to fix issues on their 4K Blu-Ray players and now LG have had problems with their TVs, has anyone else experienced any issues with picture quality? Is it fixed on the 2018 LG Oleds? Cheers

Sliced Bread

gel said:
Oppo have had firmware updates to fix issues on their 4K Blu-Ray players and now LG have had problems with their TVs, has anyone else experienced any issues with picture quality? Is it fixed on the 2018 LG Oleds? Cheers

LG OLED have problems with HDR over HDMI?

Do you have the details, as HDR10 seems to be working fine from my 4k disc spinner to my LG b6.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

Sliced Bread said:
gel said:

LG OLED have problems with HDR over HDMI?

Do you have the details, as HDR10 seems to be working fine from my 4k disc spinner to my LG b6.

Thanks
On Kick Ass 4K HDR disc you can see the problems. Stuff like black levels not right, lots of grain.

HDR won’t remove grain inherent in the film. This may be down to other settings on the TV and player that could be exaggerating the grain. Don’t forget that when you switch your TV to HDR mode (mines a Sony), the settings may be different to whatever setting you were using before (cool, warm etc). I wasn’t overly impressed until I had a play with the settings to get it looking much better than the default settings do. Be careful with setting like advanced contrast level, as this is one particular setting that can exaggerate nasties. I found using the TV’s eco mode was hindering how good the HDR could look, as it reduces brightness. From the ones I’ve tried so far, I can’t see any added ‘fuzziness’.

D

Deleted member 2457

I think it could be down to TVs. The new LG Oleds are big on noise reduction.

Disable noise reduction - in fact, disable everything. Get back to the REAL picture, and get that looking as good as possible before adding digital filtering and enhancements. Put a film on that you know - genuinely know - and go through each setting, flicking between off and MAX so that you can see what difference the feature is making. Once you know what you’re looking for, start at off, then flick back and forth between off and 1 to see if it’s advantageous. Then between 1 and 2. And so on so you can find the most ideal setting.

Virtually all mine are switched off, and any that aren’t are mostly set to their lowest settings.

careful though, as messing with settings for one film doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll be perfect for other films - it’s a bit like choosing a hi-fi system with one album, then finding out it sounds crap with everything else. I’d suggest using a real film, nothing CGI, a drama or a thriller. CGI laden films and green screen films have no basis in reality, even if they look realistic. Maybe also choose a film you know is genuine 4K too from that site I mentioned the other day ( http://realorfake4k.com/ ).

D

Deleted member 2457

Cheers David, I have tried all the settings and nothing works, I also asked the repair guys for my motherboard and they said the TV was working fine and within specification. I think I will just watched most content in 4K and not HDR, besides with the nature of the beast I am not sure HDR is really designed for Oled TVs. By that I mean you want the really dark blacks and in 4K it looks much better than in HDR imho.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
Cheers David, I have tried all the settings and nothing works, I also asked the repair guys for my motherboard and they said the TV was working fine and within specification.  I think I will just watched most content in 4K and not HDR, besides with the nature of the beast I am not sure HDR is really designed for Oled TVs.  By that I mean you want the really dark blacks and in 4K it looks much better than in HDR imho.  
Your not wrong Gel, FlatpanelHD latest review of the LG's 2018 C8 has the same problems of elevated blacks as previous models. The reviewer was very particular bout DV.

D

Deleted member 2457

Native_bon said:
gel said:
Cheers David, I have tried all the settings and nothing works, I also asked the repair guys for my motherboard and they said the TV was working fine and within specification. I think I will just watched most content in 4K and not HDR, besides with the nature of the beast I am not sure HDR is really designed for Oled TVs. By that I mean you want the really dark blacks and in 4K it looks much better than in HDR imho.
Your not wrong Gel, FlatpanelHD latest review of the LG's 2018 C8 has the same problems of elevated blacks as previous models. The reviewer was very particular bout DV.
Cheers mate, I did wonder if it wouldn’t be perfect again.

gel said:
By that I mean you want the really dark blacks and in 4K it looks much better than in HDR imho.
But how dark are blacks in everyday life anyway? How many shadowy alleys do you see when epwalking down the street that are literally pitch black? Have we even experienced a real black? Most of what we encounter in everyday life are shades of grey. As my PJ wasn’t the best for contrast ratio, it’s not hard to impress me in that area, so I’ve not been tweaking my settings to get that ultra-black - I’ve been moving up and down the scale of the settings to find the point where things start getting black, but not enough to cover detail in the picture. I’ll happily sacrifice some black level for more detail.

Black levels are important because the deeper and truer blacks are perceived to be by the viewer, the better colours will look next to it. The 3-dimensional effect off a good TV is also reliant on solid black levels to produce depth. A deep, dark pure black level is essential to good picture quality.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
If black was the whole story why is everyone not buying Oled TV sets then? Yes black is important but you also need colour volume as well as screen uniformity as well as being able to produce near black to grey colours.

I had one of the very first Oled screens LG 930V. Had perfect blacks but will not compete with most led screens today. I also had a Sony A1, yes the contrast was better but just too dark for gaming and had banding and tint.

It was good, but not good value for money.

I never said black was the whole story. I was responding to David's comment about blacks. With regards to screen uniformity, the self emissive nature of OLED pixels means screen uniformity is not as much an issue as edge lit LED panels. We all have different needs, and we buy TV to suit our needs. It's not a case of one technology being a fit for all. No TV is perfect.

I have attended a few TV shootouts. The main advantage of LED panels is whites. All the points you mention, I have found OLEDs to be superior.

I'm not saying black level isn't important (although I'd consider contrast ratio more important), but I don't see the need to hunt down the blackest blacks. With audio, a low noise floor is important, but there's many other factors at play in reproducing a convincing audio experience.

D

Deleted member 2457

I’ve been demoing the Samsung Q9FN QLED and I think it’s a game changer - finally a TV where you can have bright and dark colours mixed together and they are truly great. Hopefully in the HDR picture there will be no picture noise on certain discs too. I don’t know how you are suppose to find this out unless you purchase it?

D

Deleted member 2457

davidf said:
gel said:
By that I mean you want the really dark blacks and in 4K it looks much better than in HDR imho.
But how dark are blacks in everyday life anyway? How many shadowy alleys do you see when epwalking down the street that are literally pitch black? Have we even experienced a real black? Most of what we encounter in everyday life are shades of grey. As my PJ wasn’t the best for contrast ratio, it’s not hard to impress me in that area, so I’ve not been tweaking my settings to get that ultra-black - I’ve been moving up and down the scale of the settings to find the point where things start getting black, but not enough to cover detail in the picture. I’ll happily sacrifice some black level for more detail.
The new Oled 55c8 LG TV has greater detail in the Black now. Until now with the Samsung QLEDs you were sacrificing black and getting side effects too though.

D

Deleted member 2457

I have worked it out with my Oled just have it on 4K and vivid mode and no side effects of HDR but the picture looks the same - sorted! Sweet.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
I have worked it out with my Oled just have it on 4K and vivid mode and no side effects of HDR but the picture looks the same - sorted! Sweet.
Nope, that don’t look right!

Sliced Bread

I do recall ages ago seeing an LG that had loads of grain in the shop, to the point of it looking like a very stony picture.

I thought they were all like that and it almost stopped me buying one, but i checked a few other stores and they were fine (as is my one at home, which was the same model).

If it is really really bad, then it might be worth asking LG to send an engineer.

If however it is subtle, then it might just be the film grain as others have said. This is a good thing as it's what is intended.

Perhaps worth taking your film to a store and asking to view it on other sets :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Are you using HDR David on the Sony? Is it doing the same thing? Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

Sliced Bread said:
I do recall ages ago seeing an LG that had loads of grain in the shop, to the point of it looking like a very stony picture.

I thought they were all like that and it almost stopped me buying one, but i checked a few other stores and they were fine (as is my one at home, which was the same model).

If it is really really bad, then it might be worth asking LG to send an engineer.

If however it is subtle, then it might just be the film grain as others have said. This is a good thing as it's what is intended.

Perhaps worth taking your film to a store and asking to view it on other sets :)
Cheers, just spoke to JL and LG but they are saying within spec.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts