Question Do You Run with Speaker Covers On or Off

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Honestly it does not matter almost at all. You can improve some psychoacoustics range but on or off won't improve the sound to any substantial change. A bad synergy won't be improved and good synergy won't be spoiled.

I can only imagine. How good it sounds.

Thanks (y) System was already excellent with the NDX2, SCA2 and particularly the Halo JC5 however bring the Fathom f112 v2 into play and then overall performance is jaw dropping :cool: Hence why i keep on saying that imo a subwoofer is the most important component. Ime when effectively aligned, calibrated and dialled in no other component can make such a profound difference to the overall performance of a system.

A subwoofer is the ultimate component :)

Reactions: Mike Hunt

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Covers on when not listening to music. TV etc.

Off when listening to music as they sound better to me with the covers off. Love that they’re magnetic so easy to put back on.

For some reason my old B&W 602 S3’s sounded better with the covers on.

Nick B

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Just tried no grills for the first time because of this question. Sounds a bit like donald fagen is in the house. There is more presence, it seems more active. A bit clearer, a bit more forward, and individual instruments stand out a little more.
Should really put them back on to check but am enjoying this right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: insider9

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Yeah, nice one.
I listen to a fair bit of music on my PC. What tends to happen is I'll be working on some design for 3D printing, whilst drinking copious quantities of alcohol, then suddenly I'll be rooting out old songs from the 80s on YouTube. I have the output from the PC connected to a mixer, which defaults to sending the signal from the PC to an Arcam Alpha 8 amp, which is driving the Ruarks, but... occasionally I drink too much, and the Arcam is also connected to an old set of Jamo speakers, so I flick the spkr2 button, then a few minutes later I'll reach for the mixer, and power up the Behringer Truth 2031As, and bring them up to near clipping... then a few minutes later my missus will look at me sideways, like a goose looking into an empty coke can, and if I'm not too far gone, I'll concede, otherwise she'll go to bed...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts