Do you know when to stop?

Upgrading that is. I've toyed with the idea of converting to a DAC, new speakers etc. for a while now. There's one major reason why I've been holding back: Despite my system being 'topsy turvy' price-wise, I feel the sonic chemistry between each component is as good as it's possible to get. Therefore, although I've heard Totem and PMC speakers which improves the overall SQ, I'm reticent to upset the equilibrium of the system 'as is'.

Do you know where to draw the line?

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
PP, I can only really tell you why I stopped. Firstly, does the system have good timing so you can easily tap your foot along to the music. Secondly, does it emotionally move you, and give you an understanding of all types of music, and not just the stuff you usually play? Thirdly, does it occasionally drop the jaw and leave you thinking WTF! Fourthly can you tolerate the 'not so good recordings' with it? Fifthly, is there a nice wide, open, credible soundstage? Sixthly, does it sound 'effortless'? Seventhly, does it work well at low volumes? If the answer is YES to all these questions, then it's probably time to stop!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking at new speakers and speaker cable in the near-ish future, and in all honesty, once I attain them, that'll probably be it for me regarding upgrades.

I'd like nothing more than to drop stupid money on some high-end stuff, but unless my circumstances change, I don't think it's something I can ever see happening.

Not that I'd ever lament it. I think my system sounds better now than it's ever done, and I've not heard a system which completely outclasses it...... Different yes, but not necessarily better.

A

Anonymous

Still trying to find the area to know when I should.

Lots more money to be spent before I do, I guess!

Stoff 1 said:
Still trying to find the area to know when I should.

Lots more money to be spent before I do, I guess!

So throw money and see what happens? you sound like a retailer's heaven. The secret is to know your limit, regardless of money, and stop. Like drinking alcohol, if you have 'One for the Road' you could end up with a whacking headache.

Would never tell anyone what they can or can't spend but knowing when to stop is a natural instinct that can't be learned from a book...also known a common...

A

Anonymous

Yes I maybe a retailer's heaven, but if I was'nt there dropin X amount of dosh along with other retailer's heavener's, maybe they would'nt be there now.

Ive spent a heathly amount, but am still not satififed.

So with things to change it's clear that money needs to be spent.

It can be said about system sysinery, but that still envoles money being spent, if things are to be changed.

Yes my spelling is very bad.......spell check has disappeared, sorry.

Stoff 1 said:
Yes I maybe a retailer's heaven, but if I was'nt there dropin X amount of dosh along with other retailer's heavener's, maybe they would'nt be there now.

Ive spent a heathly amount, but am still not satififed.

So with things to change it's clear that money needs to be spent.

It can be said about system sysinery, but that still envoles money being spent, if things are to be changed.

Yes my spelling is very bad.......spell check has disappeared, sorry.

I agree - people will always buy AV/hi-fi. That's good for the economy. To me it's about the end game: What do you want your system to achieve, and do you know what the end game sounds like? Put it a bit clearer, I can't always convey what sound I'm looking for, but when I physically hear it, I know straight away.

A

Anonymous

I'm back to listening to my headphones. The past 6 months trying to get into a good hifi system weren't that successful for me.

My current favorite system consists of the Arcam rDac + Schitt Audio Asgard Headphone Amp + Grado 325i/Sennheiser 650.

Maybe you should try to get into headphones? ;-)

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Big Chris said:
I'd like nothing more than to drop stupid money on some high-end stuff, but unless my circumstances change, I don't think it's something I can ever see happening.

Not that I'd ever lament it. I think my system sounds better now than it's ever done, and I've not heard a system which completely outclasses it...... Different yes, but not necessarily better.

I think that hits the nail on the head. We can all think of 'lottery win' systems (and houses and cars and boats and wardrobes and wine cellars and so on) but there are differences between those who cycle their systems because they are unhappy with the sound, those who change components regularly because hi fi is a hobby and those who have a 'stable' system they are more than happy with but still have a savings pot for A N Other component change in the future.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
No, I don't know when to stop. I love buying new shiny things. But I am acutely aware that from now on, the improvements that i could afford are very very small, unless I spend close to five figures. I

A

Anonymous

Let's not beat about the bush. You stop when you don't want to spend more money on HiFi, for whatever reason. Thinking your system is as good as it gets is just a way of accepting the reality than you cannot afford, or do not want to, spend any more.

My system sounds fine to my ears, but I'm not going to pretend I haven't heard better or that it couldn't be improved. The truth lies in my bank balance.

Grottyash said:
Let's not beat about the bush. You stop when you don't want to spend more money on HiFi, for whatever reason. Thinking your system is as good as it gets is just a way of accepting the reality than you cannot afford, or do not want to, spend any more.

My system sounds fine to my ears, but I'm not going to pretend I haven't heard better or that it couldn't be improved. The truth lies in my bank balance.

Quite right, you certainly don't "beat about the bush". I've stopped because, believe it or not, and you probably don't, I'm content with the balance and overall SQ of my system - happy. Quite a rare commodity in the hi-fi world, so I'm told.

And I've put it in writing too...;)

After hearing Totem Arro and DB1is a while back I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement over my RS6s, although not a gulf in difference. That said, in isolation, it's very hard to find a major fault with my current set-up. Anyway, I've never been a serial upgrader: First amp upgrade in over 6 years; CDP and TT I've had for 5 years; tuner 31 years...

A

Anonymous

Yes, forgot about that one. I'm happy with my system, too, and it's as far as I want to go ... at present
smiley-wink.gif
!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Every month or so, I tell myself this is the best and I am very happy with it, which I am at that moment. However an A to B testing or some random auditioning with a freind somehow brings the itch back!

In my current set up, unless I am willing to spend a lot of money, I would not be able to get a better SQ than my Pathos Inpol2 or PV1 sub. Which also means that there is scope in other areas
smiley-wink.gif
as I think that the DAC is a weak link.

So, to answer the question, if I am satisfied with all the components in my system (which also means that they are in synergy) then I guess that is where it stops..

Unless, like the Oracle in Matrix, If I unbalance this equation by adding a high performing component, the cycle starts again (which is how it happened to me all the time) or even better another hobby kicks in to put this one on the back burner..

I am tempted to quote something from Zeitgeist here but I restrain!

WishTree said:
plastic penguin said:

Every month or so, I tell myself this is the best and I am very happy with it, which I am at that moment. However an A to B testing or some random auditioning with a freind somehow brings the itch back!

In my current set up, unless I am willing to spend a lot of money, I would not be able to get a better SQ than my Pathos Inpol2 or PV1 sub. Which also means that there is scope in other areas
smiley-wink.gif
as I think that the DAC is a weak link.

So, to answer the question, if I am satisfied with all the components in my system (which also means that they are in synergy) then I guess that is where it stops..

Unless, like the Oracle in Matrix, If I unbalance this equation by adding a high performing component, the cycle starts again (which is how it happened to me all the time) or even better another hobby kicks in to put this one on the back burner..

I am tempted to quote something from Zeitgeist here but I restrain!

You've hit the nail firmly on the head. If you do a test you're likely to hear something your system doesn't have. I, for one, have been guilty of this. Like I said in my previous post, when heard in isolation, there's little to grumble about.

((Drum roll)) PPs top tip for the day: If a seed-bed of discontent is starting to erode your confidence in your system, dismiss your friend and his set-up...;) :bigsmile:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Stop? I barely know when to start, speakers and amp are both 11 years old, Sonos was added as a music source about 3 years or so ago I think, prior to that I had no real music source and never listened to music except in the car. I bought a new TV nearly 2 years ago but if Pioneer hadn't announced their pull-out I would probably still be umming and ahhing over that now and the BDP (Sony S760) is the only one I've ever owned. I only changed the speaker cable because I was forced to move everything and the stuff I had at the time wasn't long enough.

I AM thinking about some new speakers but realistically it's going to be a while (hopefully they'll have come down in price!) and I don't know if I can fit the matching centre channel speaker on my stand as it's MUCH bigger than what it's replacing.

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes, unfortunately; I stopped when the damage to my hearing from a long-term medical condition became apparent, or the sig would include Stax earspeakers, Chord 64 DAC, and Dynaudio Contours. The current front-end cost a tenth of the peak value.

I can still hear the difference between the PS3 and the BD35 on CD, or between CD and 24/96, but not usually between, say, CD and 320kbps lossy on SD.

Downgrading is a real pain because you don't get the same sort of trade-ins when you're spending less money; I'm still using the original cables because there was no value in getting rid of them, and they'll last me out now...

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I like to think I'm quite restrained when it comes to buying HiFi, my CDP and amp are knocking on for 20 years old now, although I have just replaced my speakers (also nearly 20 y.o.), and if funds allow this year I'll probably change the amp as well. But I don't expect to change either of these items for another good few years. I've been very happy with the sound over the years, but I had a bit more spare cash and fancied a change, I don't think I'm chasing an impossible dream, I certainly hope I don't go mad and spend far too much (whatever that is?).

A/V is a slightly different matter, over the same period I seem to have had countless VCRs, DVDs and I'm probably going to be getting another BDP soon (only coz my Sony is kaput!), although I think most of these changes were forced on me by unreliability (see comment about the Sony!).

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
i have spent 3 years upgrading and tweaking but i do now think my core spending is almost over

whilst i am sure there are improvement to be had from other products - hearing my system gives me real satisfaction and i dont feel like i am missing anything so i dont feel the need to keep trying new things at the moment

however that said i remain interested in trying the Neat Petite speakers against my Neat Motives just to see

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts