Do we make anything anymore ?

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi ,

I was reading the speaker test in this months issue of Hi-Fi Choice , floorstanders under £1500 , every single one under country of origin was x/ China , this can't be wood work right ? but Dali and KEF where x/China so what if anything is made here ?

James

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
Hi ,

I was reading the speaker test in this months issue of Hi-Fi Choice , floorstanders under £1500 , every single one under country of origin was x/ China , this can't be wood work right ? but Dali and KEF where x/China so what if anything is made here ?

James

Hello made in Cheltenham! *biggrin* though I don't really count. ATC, Harbeth, Sugden, Croft, AVI, poss Linn, poss some Rega stuff? All amazing UK products.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi Boggit ,

But you are assembling speakers not manufacturing , I kinda thought there was a speaker manufacturing base , like KEF , dynanaudio , Dali etc that designed and made drive units , xovers etc here in the EU and then made the wood work and so the speakers

James

matthewpiano

My Dynaudio DM2/6 say 'Made In Denmark' on them. As these are the brand's entry-level speakers, I'd assume that means they make everything in Denmark still.

My Rega turntable was made in Southend-On-Sea.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Cyrus and Rega if you want UK made. There's a few speaker manufacturers too, Spendor and Harbeth amongst them but none at the lower end of the market so far as I'm aware.

I always buy British-made where I can whether that's hi-fi, apples, clothing or anything else.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site

itsme

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
malaysia.......is it a Yamaha amp perhaps? A-s501 and a-s701 are made in Malaysia.....superb build quality

please share what make and type you have...thnx

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I kinda know everything is made in China , but I thought speakers where made here , my father gave me my first pair of speakers , AR 7's he said dont buy any speakers unless they are made in the UK or `Germany , I guess thats was the 70's

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Jaysus Chebby I was 13 years old , I got those speakers , a memorex tape deck an egale amp and a teak tuner , I just assumed they wher made in the UK

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
Jaysus Chebby I was 13 years old , I got those speakers , a memorex tape deck an egale amp and a teak tuner , I just assumed they wher made in the UK

Acoustic Research, or AR, was founded by Edgar Villchur and Henry Kloss (AR, KLH and Tivoli Audio) in the USA.

It's especially worth reading about Ed Villchur because his pioneering innovations are still with us 60 years later.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
In the hifi making scene, we are having a 6X margins rules. It will say that you will sell your hifi gear around 6 times the prices of the components for making (you and your retailers) a good margin.

So it's obvious. If your speaker enclosure costs 250$ to make there in USA/Germany/France, then you will, at least, have a 1'500$ price for selling it and you have no speakers and no developpement counted in those 1'500 dollars.

So it is only logical that the great ones are going to make their cabinets for their "entry level speakers" in the asia market. Not only because it's damn cheap (around 25 $ for a finished enclosure), but because a lot of components are available directly on those markets for cheap. Speakers, elctronic components and labour forces. This is the only possible way to make massive margins and selling you for a price you will see as OK.

Le'ts be clear, in the 21 century, peoples want average price/performance and not quality nor homemade speaker enclosures. They are looking at the small price and the flashy finishes. So the builders will sell exactly that. On the middle and higher end market, you will see more and more "home market made speakers". Because it is, at a certain price, becoming interesting to have the logistic and the fabrications process close to you and the buyers of those gears, are more looking about quality, originality and finishes.

iQ Speakers said:
JamesMellor said:
Hi ,

James

Hello made in Cheltenham! *biggrin* though I don't really count. ATC, Harbeth, Sugden, Croft, AVI, poss Linn, poss some Rega stuff? All amazing UK products.

(Ahem) Leema.

Although owned by JAM Industries, I still class Arcam as British.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts