Hi everyone,

I'm new to the hifi game with my first setup.

I have a Audiolab 8000a powering a pair of B&W dm601 S2's.

My music library is all stored on my Macbook Pro (late 2013) either in ALAC or FLAC.

How much would i benefit from adding a USB DAC to my set up, as the Macbook's onboard DAC chip is capable of outputting 24bit/192khz signal? Would there be a distiguishable difference between a USB DAC and a (decent) 3.5mm to RCA interconnect?

From my initial research most DACs ive looked at have the same sample rate/bit depths as the Macbook. Is there anyone out there who perhaps has had this situation? Maybe its a matter of how the DAC converts the audio, perhaps being warmer, punchier, louder, more vibrant etc...

Any advice anyone can give would be great.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
IMO you shouldn't be looking at DAC chip capabilities. The potential bottleneck can be the analogue output gain stage on your laptop. If you plan to invest in a separate DAC look for one with its own power supply and output of at least 2Vrms unbalanced (4Vrms balanced).

*bye*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
harry joyce said:
Maybe its a matter of how the DAC converts the audio, perhaps being warmer, punchier, louder, more vibrant etc...

Yep that just about covers it. But don't expect jaw-dropping night-n-day differences. The quality of Mac DACs are above average for computers to start with, and compared to changing speakers (for example) the difference will be subtle. Don't take that to mean you'd be wasting your money, I'm just trying to reel-in your expectations.

mightyquin

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
harry joyce said:
Maybe its a matter of how the DAC converts the audio, perhaps being warmer, punchier, louder, more vibrant etc...

Yep that just about covers it. But don't expect jaw-dropping night-n-day differences. The quality of Mac DACs are above average for computers to start with, and compared to changing speakers (for example) the difference will be subtle. Don't take that to mean you'd be wasting your money, I'm just trying to reel-in your expectations.

I've started a thread seeking advice on playing music via a computer but I assumed a DAC was pretty much essential for decent quality.

How would you hook a Mac up to a hifi amp - small jack to phono plug adaptor?

K

keeper of the quays

Have you hooked up mac book to amp? Using mini jack to rca it might be loud enough? My iPod is loud enough thru my system? I have a dac magic and in my opinion my iPod dac is superior..ps there is another way...amazon usa 'dayton audio dta-1' or the cheaper stellar labs t amp..(I think these are sonic impact amps under new name) buy a 13.8 volt power supply..(maplins) take your speaker wires and split ends into two thinner strands..the horrid terminals will only take thin strand..be careful! The spring loaded clips break easy..go mini jack to mini jack..these cheap plastic t amps need a long burn in period..bout a week! Ideally plug in a radio? Leave it playing thru t amp for a week...try and avoid listening..just stick it on low volume and forget about it..a week is over..so try it..play your favourite track..i suggest you sit down first as the sound will bowl you over! Happy listening..

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I liked the audio on my PC sound card, and that was just the built in Realtec chip. Lovely warm, nicely balanced, and fairly detailed sound. I bought a Meridian Explorer and liked that too. At this point I was using only Grado SR225e headphones.

I bought a Chord Mojo, and a QED Reference Audio J2P, and also some Q Acoustics BT3. The short of it was the QED cable made all the difference. Thus I bought some Chord Clearway to connect the active speaker to the passive speaker.

What I am saying here is that Vladimir is completely right, that the cable is key and will enhance sound.

However the crux is that the audio I hear is good. Very repsectable for desktop speakers. The Chord Mojo is very good and a league ahead of good on-board audio. (By the way, I used to own the 8000A. It was mind-blowing when I put Audioquest speaker cable on it, with Rogers LS4a.)

air84

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Parameters are not key of dac quality, just like power won't say how amplifier will play with your loudspeakers. Naturally, it's good when you have 32-bit DAC or even DSD compatibility, but it's only fuel parameter. Won't tell you how fast and comfortably you can go.

Crucial thing for DAC is implementation, it's engineering matter and according to different implementation of different DAC you can receive very different results. It's really hard to tell without listening.

So, this is your golden tip - you should definitely listen some DAC like Arcam rPac or Cambridge DacMagic100. It's nice products for start.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts