Hi guys, I'm in the market for a Subwoofer and / or possibly a new Amp / Stereo. I've never bought separates before and I'm not really sure what I'm doing :) Thought I needed a new DAC but replacing my speakers turned out to be a better move . . . anyway -

I listen to music sat at my desk in fromt of an old 27" iMac from 2010. This is connected via an optical TOS link to an Onkyo CR515DAB. The CD player onthe Onkyo no longer plays CD's :( but that's not an issue really as all my music is on the iMac (lossless where possible).

I've recently upgraded the Onkyo D-N9BX spaeakers toa pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2's and these sit either side of the iMac screen.

The room I use is small and I don't play music very loud, certainly not looking for the walls and floor to rumble but I'd like a small'ish sub to fill in a bit of bass or is there no point if the floors aren't moving?

Any recomendations?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure you'll get the full potential from the Onkyo now with the rest of the setup that a seperate amp would give. I am not familiar with that exact system but I don't think the speakers you have were ever accused of not having enough bass, likely whats driving them, though good, may be improved without a sub by adding a different drive unit

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I am looking at every possible set up at the moment. Being that I am in Ireland there isn't as big a market so my chances to test out stuff is smaller. I have to scour forums and reviews.

In your situation, if you can get away without cd player, and I am sure there is a DAB app that you can set up on your imac, I'd look at a good amp with a built in DAC. The most recommended one here within a small budget is the Marantz pm6005. If you needed a cd player the you could add a relatively cheap unit and as long as it has a digital output you could use the Marantz on board DAC (which reportadly works well).

As far as I know the output from the MAC is a double and you can select it as digital, to get the info out of youre computer to your DAC.

There are probably 1000 more options. That one may be ok

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
if you after high quality sound from your iMac all you need is a pair of active speakers connected straight to your iMac audio out.. there's no need for additional boxes, dac's and amplifiers on your desk..

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Is clearly the move to make at this point, the Onkyo unit is pretty low powered and this is the reason for the lack of weight and presence.

Ideally you should get an amp with a superior usb type B input which is not common in mainstream budget amplifiers, the PM6005 does not have one for instance. The Nad D3020 would be ideal but at £400 it is a touch pricey compared to the PM6005, though with '6005 you will need to use the optical connection as you do know.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts