Do I go for DVD or Blue ray player

Miggs

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
About to take delivery very soon of a 37" 1080p Toshiba in a couple of weeks. At present we use a PS3 (60gb) for our gaming needs. I know the PS3 is also a Blue ray player but we have not used it as such as we have no Blue ray discs, yet.

I want to buy a new dvd player, but do I buy an out and out dvd player or a Blue ray player as I want to get the best out of the TV, or is the PS3 good enough for Blue ray. Excuse my ignorance but do Blue ray players play standard dvd's as well. If yes I might well go down that route and leave the PS3 just for gaming.

If Blue ray players play both formats which could you recommend for a budget of about £150.

All help appreciated.

Miggs.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Miggs:
About to take delivery very soon of a 37" 1080p Toshiba in a couple of weeks. At present we use a PS3 (60gb) for our gaming needs. I know the PS3 is also a Blue ray player but we have not used it as such as we have no Blue ray discs, yet.

I want to buy a new dvd player, but do I buy an out and out dvd player or a Blue ray player as I want to get the best out of the TV, or is the PS3 good enough for Blue ray. Excuse my ignorance but do Blue ray players play standard dvd's as well. If yes I might well go down that route and leave the PS3 just for gaming.

If Blue ray players play both formats which could you recommend for a budget of about £150.

All help appreciated.

Miggs.

The PS3 plays standard dvds and upscales them to 1080p just like all Bluray players.

Keep the PS3 and buy some new films. If you want a designated dvd/BD player - Sony BDPS360 for just under budget.

A

Anonymous

PS3 IMHO Is the best player on the market.

DVD's look like blu-rays and plays Blu-rays amazing.

It has bbc iplayer, and also I use it for streaming media from my pc upstairs to the PS3.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
canada16:

It has bbc iplayer, and also I use it for streaming media from my pc upstairs to the PS3.

Why don't you buy a couple of well regarded Blu-rays and play them with the PS3. If you can't see much difference, stick with what you have

A

Anonymous

hammill:canada16:

Why don't you buy a couple of well regarded Blu-rays and play them with the PS3. If you can't see much difference, stick with what you have

?

I have blu-rays, and dvd's, The blu-rays are obviously better but the upscale on dvd is the best I have seen.

A

Anonymous

stick with the PS3. it upscales standard dvd's billiantly and blu rays look awesome. its also got the advantage of being connected to your wireless router for BD Live :)

bigdigger

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
I agree, stick with the ps3. Great dvd player and good with blu ray. As others have said it does so much more plus it is continually updated over the net. I use mine for both and would only change it for a £400 plus player.

Just make sure you get a decent HDMI cable and preferably a new power cable. I use Isotek and Russ Andrews power leads.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts