Do any of you still use an FM tuner?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

Diamond Joe said:
Gray said:
... (You're old if you remember Lasky's)
Oh dear, I guess that means I'm old, I wasn't planning to be old until next year at the earliest! Thanks Gray *secret*

I bought my first amp from Lasky's in Bristol, I thought I'd bought an Akai AMU2 but when I got it home to my delight I discovered an AMU3 in the box. I remember that my dear old Dad told me to call them to point out their mistake, so I did and to my double delight they weren't bothered, I kept it for years *biggrin*

[/quote

Sorry for reminding you you're old Joe. Quite a few of the posters here are no spring chickens, but probably prefer being old humans.

You deserved the better model by the way for being an honest family.

Bring back Lasky's that's all I can say.

iMark

Here in NL we are blessed with the fact that cable TV providers put 36 to 40 stations on FM. We still use 2 FM tuners in our house. We have a stereo receiver in the living room and an old Sony microset in the bedroom. The last one has a nice sleep feature. The FM from the cable company sounds pretty good to us.

We can also listen to the radio through our TV'or cable boxes and we get over a 100 stations. I sometimes use the cable box for recording a radio show.

I still think it's rather odd to turn on the TV to listen to the radio. So if the station I want to listen to is available on FM, I will turn that on.

We can also stream internet radio to the stereo through an Airport Express. This works well too.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Yes I remember Golden Disc as well. Guy Norris was a record shop in the precinct, just up from the shoe shop on the corner, which was opposite some leather jacket shop. Dr Zchivagos was just round the corner.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't use FM radio as I hate all the radio stations that broadcast on it, maybe radio 4 is good for some comady but I don't listen to that much as it's news shows are dreadful. Why would anyone in this day and age still use FM? We now have DAB radio and Internet radio which offer much more choice. Norway have the right idea as they are shutting it off in 2017.

K

keeper of the quays

MrReaper182 said:
I don't use FM radio as I hate all the radio stations that broadcast on it, maybe radio 4 is good for some comady but I don't listen to that much as it's news shows are dreadful. Why would anyone in this day and age still use FM? We now have DAB radio and Internet radio which offer much more choice. Norway have the right idea as they are shutting it off in 2017. 
I'm with you a bit on this Mr reaper, the self satisfied supercilious left wing elitists on radio four be it news or news quiz's (ghastly) I detest..but some of radio fours output is very good..curates egg really! But radio three rocks! In a classical sense of the word...but above all the quality of fm through a good receiver and wide range hifi is astonishing..you have no idea! A concert on radio three makes one appreciate the engineers work as it is a art form! on good equipment your literally there but in the best seat! Internet radio is good but can't touch fm...I have a view on DAB but it would take too long for me to express it so I'll just say very disappointing it could do so much better..

I've not been on line here for a week as we just moved house. Have unboxed two of the three FM tuners I own, and two are up and running. Just had a new FM aerial too, though the local installer only does omni types, which I've always seen as unfit for top quality unless you are very near the transmitter. We seem to have a local relay which it picks up clearly, but there's just not quite enough signal for full quieting.

The three tuners are:-

Hitachi FT-5500 which I've owned since new, from I guess late '70s. It's in the original brown/grey colour.

A Mark II version of the above acquired this year of Ebay, as a precaution against the original blowing up. Needs a new battery for the memory - the original had a capacitor I think.

Sony ES something or another (not handy to check!). Also via eBay and sounds v nice when cold, but gets distorted once warm. I guess some components need replacing? Newer than the others as it displays radio data.

My favourite programmes include CD Review and pretty much anything live on Radio 3. Use Pure DAB radio for news and Radio 4 mostly, away from the listening room (I mean, living room). Car now has DAB too and only switches to FM when out of reception - clever!

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
MrReaper182 said:
I'm with you a bit on this Mr reaper, the self satisfied supercilious left wing elitists on radio four be it news or news quiz's (ghastly) I detest..but some of radio fours output is very good..curates egg really! But radio three rocks! In a classical sense of the word...but above all the quality of fm through a good receiver and wide range hifi is astonishing..you have no idea! A concert on radio three makes one appreciate the engineers work as it is a art form! on good equipment your literally there but in the best seat! Internet radio is good but can't touch fm...I have a view on DAB but it would take too long for me to express it so I'll just say very disappointing it could do so much better..

Your not with me as your probably call me a lefty (how I hate stupid terms like that). The reason I hate Radio 4 news programes as they are much to conservative for my tastes. As a classical music fan I find Radio 3 playes it much to safe in choise of music (much like Classic FM). I would love to hear more free jazz and the like (which they play once in a blue moon) on Radio 3.

K

keeper of the quays

MrReaper182 said:
MrReaper182 said:

Your not with me as your probably call me a lefty (how I hate stupid terms like that). The reason I hate Radio 4 news programes as they are much to conservative for my tastes. As a classical music fan I find Radio 3 playes it much to safe in choise of music (much like Classic FM). I would love to hear more free jazz and the like (which they play once in a blue moon) on Radio 3. 
young people generally start on the left and as they get older go more right! Yes to more free form jazz etc...
I'm more monster raving looney party! Lol..

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My main rig includes a roof aerial connected Aura TU50 tuner that is set permanently to Radio 3 and brings a lot of pleasure still.

Away from my dedicated listening system, though, I have several DAB radios (Ruark, Pure), each of which is equipped with an FM tuner that never gets used because firstly the signal where I live is not good enough, whereas DAB reception is fine, and secondly none of the local or national stations I want to listen to (BBC World Service for news, Radio 5 and 5 Sports Extra for sport, 4 Extra for comedy and adaptaions of novels and plays, etc, especially when I go to bed) are to be found on FM. When not listening to spoken word or Radio 3 I listen sometimes to stations like Smooth and Absolute and Planet Rock but tend to turn to internet radio for its greater variety (Linn Radio, Radio Paradise, etc).

But back in the peace and quiet of my study where my serious listening is done, it is Radio 3 via FM every time.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
MrReaper182 said:

young people generally start on the left and as they get older go more right! Yes to more free form jazz etc... I'm more monster raving looney party! Lol..

The day I move to the "right" (again what a stupid term) is the day I want to be shot.

K

keeper of the quays

MrReaper182 said:
MrReaper182 said:
MrReaper182 said:

young people generally start on the left and as they get older go more right! Yes to more free form jazz etc... I'm more monster raving looney party! Lol..

The day I move to the "right" (again what a stupid term) is the day I want to be shot. 
when that day comes you will feel different..you may think blimey did I say that.did I do that when i was young? The more you acquire..these acquisitions change you..then one day you find your on the opposite side..children change you..suddenly your a protective parent (quite rightly) and you want your government to protect the things that are dear to you! This is how it is..in my opinion..i was a idealist when young..as most people were here? But life changes us..you think you can go against the flow but what you may find is the flow has taken you already..you just haven't noticed..

K

keeper of the quays

nick8858 said:
All the time. Million times better than Digital Almost Broadcasting. No comparison at all.
Agree 1000%...i have recently got my old cassette machine back through the hifi and am enjoying the sound..analogue type sound bit like fm.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
nick8858 said:
All the time. Million times better than Digital Almost Broadcasting. No comparison at all.
Agree 1000%...i have recently got my old cassette machine back through the hifi and am enjoying the sound..analogue type sound bit like fm.

... only that the source at FM is unknown most of the time (but most likely to be digital converted back to analogue ... ).

Still, I am with you as per OP. There is something comforting about a higher noise floor, less channel separation etc etc.

Its almost as if the brain has to work less hard and being more able to relax.

TrevC

drummerman said:
nick8858 said:

... only that the source at FM is unknown most of the time (but most likely to be digital converted back to analogue ... ).

Still, I am with you as per OP. There is something comforting about a higher noise floor, less channel separation etc etc.

There's the 15kHz roll off too!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
drummerman said:
nick8858 said:

Yes, bats will find it disappointingly dull.

TrevC

drummerman said:
TrevC said:
drummerman said:
nick8858 said:

The line whistle at 15625 hz from TV used to drive me nuts in my younger days.

K

keeper of the quays

TrevC said:
drummerman said:
TrevC said:
drummerman said:
nick8858 said:

Its almost as if the brain has to work less hard and being more able to relax.

The line  whistle at 15625 hz from TV used to drive me nuts in my younger days.
You had younger days Trev? Lol thought you were born old! :)

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
MrReaper182 said:

Read a good explanation of that very phenomenon. As a young person, the last part of the brain to develop is the frontal cortex, the part of the brain where a lot of social functioning takes place like consciousness, judgement etc. So this part of the brain is thought to act as a barrier to intolerance and intolerant style of behaviour and thinking.

As we get older it's also the first part of the brain to atrophy which may explain why conservatives are such an intolerant bunch. It's the brain damage and we should pity them.

K

keeper of the quays

Jota180 said:
MrReaper182 said:
MrReaper182 said:

Read a good explanation of that very phenomenon.  As a young person, the last part of the brain to develop is the frontal cortex, the part of the brain where a lot of social functioning takes place like consciousness, judgement etc. So this part of the brain is thought to act as a barrier to intolerance and intolerant style of behaviour and thinking.

As we get older it's also the first part of the brain to atrophy which may explain why conservatives are such an intolerant bunch. It's the brain damage and we should pity them.
hahaha! So a young Turk in a lab coat looks at some old brain? Poked about a bit..Then thought? "how can I be popular? What can I do to make my female colleagues notice me?" So this fine gentleman squeezes out a glob of brain matter! And provides a explanation for being cantankerous! :)

Jota180 said:
MrReaper182 said:
MrReaper182 said:

Read a good explanation of that very phenomenon. As a young person, the last part of the brain to develop is the frontal cortex, the part of the brain where a lot of social functioning takes place like consciousness, judgement etc. So this part of the brain is thought to act as a barrier to intolerance and intolerant style of behaviour and thinking.

hahaha! So a young Turk in a lab coat looks at some old brain? Poked about a bit..Then thought? "how can I be popular? What can I do to make my female colleagues notice me?" So this fine gentleman squeezes out a glob of brain matter! And provides a explanation for being cantankerous! :)

Not wanting to be political but it's not just the conservatives.

Yours sincerely,

Grumpy old sod of South Wales.

P.S.: To get back on track I do sometimes miss my old Creek tuner that passed on a couple of years ago.

K

keeper of the quays

Al ears said:
Jota180 said:
MrReaper182 said:
MrReaper182 said:

Read a good explanation of that very phenomenon.  As a young person, the last part of the brain to develop is the frontal cortex, the part of the brain where a lot of social functioning takes place like consciousness, judgement etc. So this part of the brain is thought to act as a barrier to intolerance and intolerant style of behaviour and thinking.

Not wanting to be political but it's not just the conservatives.

Yours sincerely,

Grumpy old sod of South Wales.

P.S.: To get back on track I do sometimes miss my old Creek tuner that passed on a couple of years ago.
South wales? Cool..my oldest has just moved from rogerstone to Newport..i know blackwood and Ebbw vale very well...south wales is gods country! Just look at the Brecon beacons? Anywhere finer? Nope!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts