Diy room treatment

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Sometimes I think it goes a bit too far in hi Fi. It looks ridiculous doing all this stuff and there is still a question as to need in the original question and what measurements show.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Sometimes I think it goes a bit too far in hi Fi. It looks ridiculous doing all this stuff and there is still a question as to need in the original question and what measurements show.

Clap your hands in a sparsely furnished room with a wooden floor and then do the same in a carpeted room full of soft furniture. You don’t need a microphone and PC to tell you that your handclap sounds different in each room, but you do need those things if you want to know what frequencies are making the rooms sound different from one another so that you can attempt to flatten them out.

As for it looking ridiculous I agree that acoustic treatment can look at odds in a domestic living room, but if your hifi is in a spare bedroom or dedicated listening room then it’s game on I say.

Your room will effect your hifi sound of that there is no doubt. Is the point you are making that such effects, however bad they look on a graph, are not necessarily audible and shouldn’t be worried about too much?

insider9

Gazzip said:
insider9 said:
Thanks Andrew. Long way to go. In fact this thread motivates me to improve more. I've already tried a couple of things which yield sonic improvements :) now all that's left is to measure before I decide on next steps.

It will be interesting to see what the measurements say if you’ve been doing this by ear so far. Totally flat isn’t supposed to sound very good according to the experts, and most Including myself tend to agree. I bet you’ve got a hump between 20Hz and 400Hz...
No, Gazzip sorry. I've not been doing it by ear before. All measured. Only hump is in 40-67Hz. With a nil at around 160Hz. Slightly over damped around 500Hz also as I'm mostly using tuned panels from a recording studio where speech was recorded.

What I meant was I did take a couple of panels out last night to see if I can increase the reverberation and it actually improved the sound. The biggest difference is around vocals where reverb on is more natural. 2 panels less but substantial differences. Something I've been looking to "fix" with DSP unsuccessfully since I've bought these speakers.

My Rt60 times were low before as I'm only using absorption. I thought about adding diffusion but didn't feel the need to. Sometimes it's good to have a friendly push.

Edit
Spelling

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I’d think probably very few people do this, and if they choose a floor type they’ve done it for looks not their hi Fi. Also very few people have the luxury of listening rooms.

The point I’m making is the effects are volume related, so the graph doesn’t indicate that or what effects of any given room. There are also too many variables that determine these effects to reliably predict to someone that treatment or not should or should not make a positive difference that is value for money, as a basis for recommending they do it and buy microphones etc, particularly when they may not have concerns. To start saying they will hear this difference on this measurement or that someone says they get this hump is somewhat difficult to envisage without being there and having an opinion, if it sounds ok. It may be that what one dislikes as bad room effects, another likes. It’s a total headf—k

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
I’d think probably very few people do this, and if they choose a floor type they’ve done it for looks not their hi Fi. Also very few people have the luxury of listening rooms.

The point I’m making is the effects are volume related, so the graph doesn’t indicate that or what effects of any given room. There are also too many variables that determine these effects to reliably predict to someone that treatment or not should or should not make a positive difference that is value for money, as a basis for recommending they do it and buy microphones etc, particularly when they may not have concerns. To start saying they will hear this difference on this measurement or that someone says they get this hump is somewhat difficult to envisage without being there and having an opinion, if it sounds ok. It may be that what one dislikes as bad room effects, another likes. It’s a total headf—k

Well in which case there is no point in recommending anything in this hobby.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Just threw bunch of towells over the headphones rack in the corner and I get a bit less boom from that side. Doesn't look fancy though.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I tried a roll of roofing material (rockwool) and to my surprise it didn't change anything audibly. I still have it in the shack. *unknw*

I used 6 beach towels now and I can hear some of the bass reduction.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I tried a roll of roofing material (rockwool) and to my surprise it didn't change anything audibly. I still have it in the shack. *unknw*

did you take the plastic of the roll because you can get early room reflection from the wrapper Vladimir *smile*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:

did you take the plastic of the roll because you can get early room reflection from the wrapper Vladimir *smile*

You cheeky troll. I removed the wrapper but placed them in plastic mesh sacks so they don't roll open or flake. I don't think it affected the results, surely. *scratch_one-s_head*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:

You cheeky troll. I removed the wrapper but placed them in plastic mesh sacks so they don't roll open or flake. I don't think it affected the results, surely. *scratch_one-s_head*
lol messing with you I did put a serous link to make some cheap panels using towels which I think is a good idea .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:

lol messing with you I did put a serous link to make some cheap panels using towels which I think is a good idea .

I think they suck moisture from the air and might get moldy. Will keep them for few days and see how they do.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
abacus said:
Long but worth the watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d9WmjTJniI

Bill

I'm 20 mins in and its all about not bothering the neighbors, which us in detached houses don't have issues with. Any info about room acoustics in it?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
abacus said:
Long but worth the watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d9WmjTJniI

Bill

I'm 20 mins in and its all about not bothering the neighbors, which us in detached houses don't have issues with. Any info about room acoustics in it?
yes you might want skip a bit to get to the part about room acoustics as he does drag on a little

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
thumbs_up.png

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The hair on our heads makes the most difference to sound , followed by the room.

Before iam taken lightly let me explain. I keep a shaved head. So the lack of insulation for the brain is compensated with heavy wax build up in the ears to give thermal insulation. So much that after I came back from my sail, and got my ears cleaned. The music sounded so good.

Next is the room of course. In my room everything sounds the same to me. Any mix of speakers, Amps, DAC's and cables. So getting the room out of the equation is most critical to hear what a component can do.

Though sadly I can't put in any acoustic treatment in my dining room , the least I can do is try minidsp / Dirac.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts