Directional speaker cable..

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 160668

You try getting your ears syringed in the UK, it simply isn't done anymore and your comment is pretty irrelevant when it comes to the directionality of cables.
How is it irrelevant. It's a free tweak to hifi. And you can get it done in the UK. Mine weren't done that long ago, the last time.

markra

May 28, 2023
Visit site
I’ve just discovered that my speaker cables are ‘directional’ and I had one of them connected the wrong way around. Intrigued, I corrected my mistake and fired up one of my favourite tracks in nervous anticipation :) -I know speaker cables are a contentious subject but I do like to keep an open mind. Anyway I didn’t detect a speck of difference. However, I’m still intrigued with the concept of a directional cable so can anyone explain the theory of operation ?
No it's a total myth, electrical signals that transmit sound are AC, the electrical energy moves "backwards and forwards" making your speaker cones move, in and out, backwards and forwards, using alternating electrical energy that is bidirectional through a wire.

It's as ridiculous as claiming special directional cable needs to be used in your house wiring for your appliances. It's AC.

What is" intriguing" is that people are allowed to advertise this misinformation to take advantage of poor people who believe it.

You can swap polarities of your wires around putting speakers out of phase with each other. Red on speaker go to red on your amp and black to black. That's all.

Apart from that, it's all a fiction to "steal" your hard earned cash.

daveh75

No it's a total myth, electrical signals that transmit sound are AC, the electrical energy moves "backwards and forwards" making your speaker cones move, in and out, backwards and forwards, using alternating electrical energy that is bidirectional through a wire.

It's as ridiculous as claiming special directional cable needs to be used in your house wiring for your appliances. It's AC.

What is" intriguing" is that people are allowed to advertise this misinformation to take advantage of poor people who believe it.

You can swap polarities of your wires around putting speakers out of phase with each other. Red on speaker go to red on your amp and black to black. That's all.

Apart from that, it's all a fiction to "steal" your hard earned cash.

You're replying to a 3 year old post...

Reactions: oldie and Al ears

markra

May 28, 2023
Visit site
You're replying to a 3 year old post...
oh yeah ok you're right , but if I happened to stumble across this rubbish, other people might find it also.

Having threads that even make claims about directional speaker cables damage the credibiilty of this forum.

It's un-scientific and ignorant and so obviously false it insults the intellect and detracts from the credibility of information on here. It's pure misinformation.

If it is so out of date then it should be deleted.

Reactions: Hugh Jarse
oh yeah ok you're right , but if I happened to stumble across this rubbish, other people might find it also.

Having threads that even make claims about directional speaker cables damage the credibiilty of this forum.

It's un-scientific and ignorant and so obviously false it insults the intellect and detracts from the credibility of information on here. It's pure misinformation.

If it is so out of date then it should be deleted.
We are not in the habit of deleting threads because someone feels strongly for or against the subject matter. Do feel free to start a new thread on a different subject matter

Hugh Jarse

Jan 22, 2022
Visit site
It's not just the fact that old threads will always show up for those doing internet searches - bringing them here.

Look at the 'similar threads' bit at the bottom of threads....all sorts of out of date stuff.

Yes, of course people would do well to check dates first, but no wonder so many old threads get dug up.

Perhaps 'similar threads' should have a headline warning something like 'no reply possible'

Personally, I'd rather see incorrect / obviously stupid info challenged at all costs...to protect the innocent.

Reactions: WayneKerr

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Threads can be locked by moderation, but I think we need a particular reason.

Personally I think when they are old and run to multiple pages, hardly anyone will bother reading them in their entirety and they are probably therefore not much use (i.e. should be locked).
it doesn't take alot of coding in the back end to archive old threads automatically. Maybe something the moderators can suggest to WHF for a future maintenance cycle

Infidelity Hi-fi I wouldn't believe a word they say with a name like that ;);)
Haha.

Actually they are very good, despite the name. Been using them since 2005, when they fitted my first ClearAudio cartridge.

Seem to remember Andrew Everard saying What Hi-fi used to blag the occasional piece of kit from them to review, as they are only about 2 miles from 'The Towers'.

Reactions: camcroft

abacus

Roll cable off a drum, being coiled up or being laid along the carpet and it only goes in the one direction you lay it.
With modern health and safety its possible that they have to put directions on the cable in case people get confused and injure themselves.
Electricity on the other hand couldn't care less which way the cable goes.:D

Bill

Roll cable off a drum, being coiled up or being laid along the carpet and it only goes in the one direction you lay it.
With modern health and safety its possible that they have to put directions on the cable in case people get confused and injure themselves.
Electricity on the other hand couldn't care less which way the cable goes.:D

Bill
Thankfully you are correct about electricity.
Imagine the chaos if your power cable decided it was directional..... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts