Directional speaker cable..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jimboo

You mean intended for L & R speakers Dom?
Do they give any theory on the reason?
(he asks, as if they could possibly justify it).
Due to the fact that the earth spins counterclockwise rocket engineers realised that this had a delay effect on your speakers receiving the source signal. It was thought for years that given the normal close proximity of speakers to the source that the rotational effect of the earth's magnetic core and gamma rays would be minimal.
Rocket engineers through exhaustive testing found this not to be the case. Hence their patented audial particle booster cable designed to eliminate this delay in the signal path.
The effects can be heard if one incorrectly use the wrong cable on the wrong speaker , e.g the left cable to the right , you get the picture.
The equatorial range are used by enthusiasts closer to the centre of the earth for obvious reasons.
There are on going trials with chord connect wonder fluid currently ongoing.

Reactions: chris661 and Dom

Dom

You mean intended for L & R speakers Dom?
Do they give any theory on the reason?
(he asks, as if they could possibly justify it).

Fifield : Engineers? Do you mind, um, telling us what they engineered?
Elizabeth Shaw : They engineered left and right cable.
Fifield : B*llsh*t. :grinning:
MV5BOGZkMWFjZjktZTQ3OS00MjQwLWIwNGUtMWMxYWNlNjA3OGVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk3OTMzOA@@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

Leon Martin

Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
Due to the fact that the earth spins counterclockwise rocket engineers realised that this had a delay effect on your speakers receiving the source signal. It was thought for years that given the normal close proximity of speakers to the source that the rotational effect of the earth's magnetic core and gamma rays would be minimal.
Rocket engineers through exhaustive testing found this not to be the case. Hence their patented audial particle booster cable designed to eliminate this delay in the signal path.
The effects can be heard if one incorrectly use the wrong cable on the wrong speaker , e.g the left cable to the right , you get the picture.
The equatorial range are used by enthusiasts closer to the centre of the earth for obvious reasons.
There are on going trials with chord connect wonder fluid currently ongoing.
THIS was just what I was looking for. Now, if my speakers are aligned North - South ( I checked using a compass) do I need to take any compensating measures as one speaker is 2.15 m closer to the equator or can I leave well enough alone now that my cables are pointing in the right direction ?
Edited for completeness

Last edited:

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
THIS was just what I was looking for. Now, if my speakers are aligned North - South ( I checked using a compass) do I need to take any compensating measures as one speaker is 2.15 m closer to the equator or can I leave well enough alone now that my cables are pointing in the right direction ?
Edited for completeness
It would be helpful to know whether you're in the Northern or Southern hemisphere.

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Of course - I could kick myself sometimes - Northern hemisphere.
In that case, and assuming your left speaker is the one that's closer to the equator, your left speaker cable should have an electrical length 0.215mm longer than your right speaker cable. If the right speaker is closer to the equator, you will need to either move your HiFi to another room or demolish and rebuild the house, and if you're using rope-wound cable, the windings must run anti-clockwise.
Do not terminate your speaker cables with bananas! Bananas are for eating.

Leon Martin

Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
In that case, and assuming your left speaker is the one that's closer to the equator, your left speaker cable should have an electrical length 0.215mm longer than your right speaker cable. If the right speaker is closer to the equator, you will need to either move your HiFi to another room or demolish and rebuild the house, and if you're using rope-wound cable, the windings must run anti-clockwise.
Do not terminate your speaker cables with bananas! Bananas are for eating.

Thanks ! Rebuilding the house isn’t really an option at the moment what with the self isolation etc but it’s certainly on my upgrade list now. I think I’m going to shorten the cable as it appears to be the easiest if not necessarily the best - see above - option. FWIW I thought that the left speaker cable would have to be the shorter one but I’m going to bow to your obviously greater experience.
Going off at a slight tangent here but can you expand on your rope wound comment as it isn’t something I’ve heard before. Don’t laugh but I’ve read that rope windings should always be clockwise (?)

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Thanks ! Rebuilding the house isn’t really an option at the moment what with the self isolation etc but it’s certainly on my upgrade list now. I think I’m going to shorten the cable as it appears to be the easiest if not necessarily the best - see above - option. FWIW I thought that the left speaker cable would have to be the shorter one but I’m going to bow to your obviously greater experience.
Going off at a slight tangent here but can you expand on your rope wound comment as it isn’t something I’ve heard before. Don’t laugh but I’ve read that rope windings should always be clockwise (?)
The anti-clockwise winding is to counteract the Coriolis effect. It should only be clockwise in the Southern hemisphere, as can be seen in this official image.

rope-wound.jpg

If you get it the wrong way round, you end up with a phase shift. The shift can be corrected by shortening one of your cables to offset the offset, but you have to be careful you don't go too short, or the phase could flip/reverse. The results of which could be catastrophic.

Leon Martin

Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
The anti-clockwise winding is to counteract the Coriolis effect. It should only be clockwise in the Southern hemisphere, as can be seen in this official image.

View attachment 1027

If you get it the wrong way round, you end up with a phase shift. The shift can be corrected by shortening one of your cables to offset the offset, but you have to be careful you don't go too short, or the phase could flip/reverse. The results of which could be catastrophic.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I think I get it now.

BTW. In between posts I’ve managed to shorten the cable and all I can say is ‘Wow ! What a difference !’ I have a favourite track - Cracked Actor on the David Live album where there is a slight pause. I’ve always wondered what the pause was about but thanks to modern cable science and the very knowledgeable members on here it’s now abundantly clear that it’s Bowie adjusting his crotch.
Thanks again.

Reactions: Dom and Mike Hunt

Gray

That may depend on where you are living. I'm in Somerset and I have needed to get my ears done every few years, since working in a very noisy environment, more than 30 years ago.
Some of us have tried the alternative.
Maybe you saw post #17 in the thread below.
If not and you're bored (or want to be) have a look:

Last edited:

Friesiansam

Some of us have tried the alternative.
Maybe you saw post #17 in the thread below.
If not and you're bored (or want to be) have a look:
I took a look at that thread. The poster is absolutely right, ear syringing makes a huge difference. I'll likely see about getting my ears done again, after SARS-CoV-2 has been brought under control and life gets back to normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts