Dirac Live - Stereo Version

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Has anyone tried the above DSP in a 2 channel hi-fi setting?

Having read some very encouraging things about the DSP in the KEF LS50 Wireless speakers, I've been looking at DSP more broadly.

I've read some very encouraging things about Dirac and the benefits it can add to computer based audio.

I'm very keen to try the 30 day trial but reluctant to spend over £100 for the calibration mic for just a trial that I may decide not to progress with.

Has anyone here tried Dirac Stereo Version and if so, what were your impressions?

insider9

Quite a few people use it an other forms of DSP. It's generally very well regarded. If it's the righ solution for you, you'll love it. Make sure you undersand what it can and can't do first before you spend any money.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
I watched those video this morning funnily enough and another showing the set up process.

I understand how to set it up fully from watching the video along with other reviews I've read. What I dont understand yet is how much/where to manipulate the default curve to tweak it to my liking afterwards.

Is there anything I should know in advance about protecting my speakers? One reviewer said he blew his tweeter fuses (I guess having the amp too loud during the set up tones) and another commented on how much more his bass drivers were moving after calibration.

Also, would it be possible as a rough and ready trial to use the Pioneer set up mic that came with my LX87?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
No mate you def need the UMIK1 for it - the software will need to detect the microphone and the mic that comes with av receivers wont work - its a different unit, despite also being for the same thing. They dont have a preamp built in generally for starters.

I havent noticed any negative or bad side effects from the software - maybe the reviewer who used really didnt know what they was doing and was pushing things.

I was planning to make another video talking through the target curve and what you can do and how to use it, I have a lot of time constraints - however initally you should be able to safely use the stock target curve it still does a grand job based on my experiences making the video.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You want to set the volume level on your kit roughly at the level you listen, probably a bit louder - then adjust the software so you can get a good reading for the measurements. The actual noises Dirac makes seem much quiter and less offensivce than my Pioneer receiver used to - I really dont know how someone blew a tweeter fuse using it. Thats seems very extreme, maybe the guy turned his system to maximum volume???

There is no need to do that

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your advice and comments. I'd be keen to see that next video. (I'm watching your P49 video at the moment. That is an amp I'd like!).

I guess the success and impact of Dirac is very room dependant itself. If your room isn't too bad, perhaps the improvements will be negligable or even detrimental as extra unneccessarily processing is being added. If your room is bad, perhaps that where is starts to come into its own.

Do you think your room is particularly bad which is why you rate it?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Naturally my room is horrendous - literally horrendous.

I have put in a LOT of GIK room treatments to make it better - and it made it a LOT better, however from a freq point of view its still horrendous.

When you measure your room you will see that all rooms measure horrendously, there is things you can do to improve it but 9/10 it will still be bad.

Any and all improvements we can make are worth it - for me Dirac doesnt sound digital at all - if it did I wouldnt use it

Strangely when I listen now to non dirac that sounds more digital with dirac on it sounds just more like music - that seems really soppy I dont mean it like that.

It reduces the errors that make you aware your listening to a hifi system not music. I hope that is a better explanation

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Naturally my room is horrendous - literally horrendous.

I have put in a LOT of GIK room treatments to make it better - and it made it a LOT better, however from a freq point of view its still horrendous.

When you measure your room you will see that all rooms measure horrendously, there is things you can do to improve it but 9/10 it will still be bad.

Any and all improvements we can make are worth it - for me Dirac doesnt sound digital at all - if it did I wouldnt use it

Strangely when I listen now to non dirac that sounds more digital with dirac on it sounds just more like music - that seems really soppy I dont mean it like that.

It reduces the errors that make you aware your listening to a hifi system not music. I hope that is a better explanation

abacus

Unless the software has changed recently you can certainly use the mic that comes with your LX87 (Just remember to set the software input to the computer mic input) for a rough test, however for accurate setup you need a calibrated mic. (Once completed you can sell the mic on for minimal loss as they are always in demand)

If you have a sub then go for a 4 channel DSP as Dirac can also be used to optimise the sub/sat system.

Hope this helps

Bil

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You will need a correction file for the lx87 mic - otherwise the results will be well out and therefore the correction will be out as well.

You will be able to sell on the UMIK1 no trouble if you dont decide to keep dirac but really its the sort of tool everyone should own, same as a spl metre

At the end of the day would you test a pair of speakers still in their box? If you can get the correction file then it will work according to abacus. Maybe a laptop that has a mic in would also be a preamp as well not sure?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts