Dilema, honest help and advice required.... Please...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

My first post here so please don't scorn if posted in the wrong place, (sorry mods) came here after reading a few pages (well probably several hundred pages) got some good advice and some funnies...

Ok here is my dilemma I have a Home Cinema setup going on a few years but still in mint condition, here is my setup:

SONY STR-DB1070 - 6.1 Digital Amp
SONY DVP-NS700V - SACD/DVD Player
Paradigm PDR10 - Subwoofer
Eltax HT-2 - Rear Dipolar Speakers
MR Centre - Centre Speaker
Mordaunt Short 302 - Front (Replaced from Mordaunt Short 10i Pearl)
QED Quodos - Cables

Ok I am either looking at replacing the whole lot with a SONY DAV-IS10 or do I keep the Amp and SACD/DVD Player get a set of BOSE Acoustimass 10, (I know I’ve heard it BOSE are good Bose are you know what, “my dad is bigger than your dad”) been offered them for a really good price so that is why I came here.

I hope the above makes sense, do I keep the above setup, down size or do I replace the whole lot...

I mainly listen to music and watch movies via a projector...

Room size 13ft x 9ft...

Or if you have any recommendations or systems I could look at…

Budget in mind £350 -£400

Cheers for reading your time and advice..
Michael

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Michael, and welcome to the Forums!

In your situation, I wouldn't buy the Bose speakers. In fact i'd be reluctant to buy much at all - it may be aging, but it's a solid enough set-up.

With some more money (think £1000 in total) you could replace it with some newer-gen separates (Blu-ray player; HD receiver; smaller but punchy speakers), so i'd bide your time and keep saving.

The good news is that prices are falling all the time - by the time you've got a few hundred quid more together, your money will go further and you and your projector will be able to enjoy an all-new cinematic experience....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If that's the Premiere 302s you're using on the front left and right I'd probably change to the 304 centre speaker to get an even tonality across the front three channels, but otherwise I'd leave things as is. You might also want to consider another pair of 302s for the surround channels, especially if you play a lot of SACDs through the system, as that will give you a better all-round balance.

I don't think either of the paths you're considering will give you a better sound than you have now, so I think a mild tweak is the best way to go for now, until you're ready for a wholesale upgrade to a more up-to-date receiver and perhaps an HD video source.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Good to see the Borg - sorry, WHF - collective consciousness is working
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for the honesty and options, I was looking at possibly moving the 302s to the rears and buying something with more body for music Bi-wireable fronts maybe and replacing the centre, or shall I keep the rears as is.. What would be my best option or shall I just replace the centre?

Again many thanks...

Michael

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I personally would start with just replaceing the centre first then see/hear what you think before moving your current Fronts to the Rear.
emotion-15.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="D.J.KRIME"]I personally would start with just replaceing the centre first then see/hear what you think before moving your current Fronts to the Rear.
emotion-15.gif
[/quote]

emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts