Digital Interconnects

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

idc

steve_1979 said:
idc said:
WHF have done a number of blind comparison tests, including HDMI cables. From my blog

14 - What Hifi, Blind Test of HDMI cables, July 2010

Another What Hifi test of three forum members who are unaware that the change being made is with three HDMI cables. As far as they know equipment could be being changed. The cables are a freebie, a Chord costing £75 and a QED costing £150. Throughout the test all three struggle to find any difference, but are more confident that there is a difference in the sound rather than the picture. They preferred the freebie cable over the Chord one and found it to be as good as the most expensive QED. That result is common in blind testing and really differenentiates it from ABX tests.

The result is also different from the sighted test where the QED got the most stars and best review. I think that information is iseful and accurate and shows how under different conditions cables sound different. So as everyone says, try before you buy.

So, on one of the rare occasions when WHF run an unbiased blind ABX test they 'struggle to find any difference'. But whenever they do a biased sighted review they claim to be able to see/hear big differences between cables.

Could somebody remind me again why they never do any blind tests on digital cables when they review them?

It was not an ABX test, it was a blind comparison test. There is a big difference. They also ran lots under the title The Big Question and all credit to the magazine for doing so as it kicked up lots of interesting results.

Furthermore the claims that during sighted testing differences can be heard are true, they can, we have a ton of evidence to prove that.

From that you then make your purchase decisions.

######

Chebby, why do you participate in threads that do not interest you? I do not find threads on record players very interesting, but you do not find me joining in and moaning they are boring.

######

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Chebby and others of a similar disposition,

People will come on here and decry sighted testing of digital cables because WHF continues to praise one cable over another without having the time, facilities, people or bottle to ABX test them.

You seem to be having a little problem now with AVI ADM 9T product linking to this digital cable lark.

I have a pair of AVI ADM 9T actives and they are the finest thing I have ever purchased in the hifi arena. But I do NOT discount the effect of different cables, sources, platforms etc., etc., which is probably why I am driving the speakers with a £45 Samsung dvd player over a massive and expensive Denon. This is because the Samsung sounds better to me, much better in fact. When I have learnt more about my wonderful speakers and their interaction with the room they are in I shall also try out different digital cables to see if they make a difference. If I find a difference then I shall keep the changes, to not do so would be bizarre.

My search for that ultimate high would be hugely supported if magazines did ABX testing because then I could risk spending more money out on experimentation. But they don't, so I won't waste my money on something that may only be praised because of its cost or because if there really is NO demonstrable difference then the future of the magazines could be put in jeopardy. I suspect there is no market for a magazine that just lists product and then just reminds us that there is no benefit in investing in a £300 cable over a £2 one

I shall continue to experiment to get the very best out of my speakers because if anything is going to reveal differences and preferences then these babies definately will.

One can not argue against whoever wondered why you get involved in threads that you seem to despise and decry; you are happy with your beliefs in your purchases. So why go bursting a blood vessel?

Happy Easter

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
2192582.jpg

T

the record spot

relocated said:

People will come on here and decry sighted testing of digital cables because WHF continues to praise one cable over another without having the time, facilities, people or bottle to ABX test them.

You seem to be having a little problem now with AVI ADM 9T product linking to this digital cable lark.

I have a pair of AVI ADM 9T actives and they are the finest thing I have ever purchased in the hifi arena. But I do NOT discount the effect of different cables, sources, platforms etc., etc., which is probably why I am driving the speakers with a £45 Samsung dvd player over a massive and expensive Denon. This is because the Samsung sounds better to me, much better in fact. When I have learnt more about my wonderful speakers and their interaction with the room they are in I shall also try out different digital cables to see if they make a difference. If I find a difference then I shall keep the changes, to not do so would be bizarre.

My search for that ultimate high would be hugely supported if magazines did ABX testing because then I could risk spending more money out on experimentation. But they don't, so I won't waste my money on something that may only be praised because of its cost or because if there really is NO demonstrable difference then the future of the magazines could be put in jeopardy. I suspect there is no market for a magazine that just lists product and then just reminds us that there is no benefit in investing in a £300 cable over a £2 one

I shall continue to experiment to get the very best out of my speakers because if anything is going to reveal differences and preferences then these babies definately will.

One can not argue against whoever wondered why you get involved in threads that you seem to despise and decry; you are happy with your beliefs in your purchases. So why go bursting a blood vessel?

Happy Easter

If you want to spend your money on a £3 cable or a £3000 one, then that's your prerogative. I imagine Ashley will be trying to contain himself with the thought that his already revealing and detailed speakers apparently need yet more detail extracting thanks to a bit of wire. It's a free country, but you'd be better off spending the time and investment thereof getting better and more revealing recordings than the bit of wire that connects your source to your speakers.

Merry Christmas when it comes.
small-logo.png

SteveR750

the record spot said:
relocated said:

Happy Easter

If you want to spend your money on a £3 cable or a £3000 one, then that's your prerogative. I imagine Ashley will be trying to contain himself with the thought that his already revealing and detailed speakers apparently need yet more detail extracting thanks to a bit of wire. It's a free country, but you'd be better off spending the time and investment thereof getting better and more revealing recordings than the bit of wire that connects your source to your speakers.

small-logo.png

I'd probably be thinking about spending the money first on a dedicated air supply / purifier to get the density just right....

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
the record spot said:
relocated said:

Happy Easter

small-logo.png

No further purchases, just use the cables I have already.

A little time to optimise what you have is no burden, not to me. I have no need to make the speakers more revealing etc., I am interested in knowing if changes will make a difference given that I have stuff to use. I may find no difference, I may find I don't like any changes I hear but I might hear and like a change. My ear has always driven me to experiment and in the past that has been rewarded with a more satisfying experience.

"Better and more revealing recordings" is a whole new ball game that no doubt has its own absolutest town criers.

Merry Christmas to you too.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
the record spot said:
relocated said:

Happy Easter

small-logo.png

I'd probably be thinking about spending the money first on a dedicated air supply / purifier to get the density just right....

Oh Steve you are a wag, in the old sense of the word not footballers humanoid hand baggage. I bet you must turn down countless offers to write one liners for all our leading comics and satirical publications. Oh my aching cheeks and sides.

SteveR750

relocated said:
Oh Steve you are a wag, in the old sense of the word not footballers humanoid hand baggage. I bet you must turn down countless offers to write one liners for all our leading comics and satirical publications. Oh my aching cheeks and sides.

So you think I wasn't being serious?

You do a better line in sarcasm than I could ever manage :)

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Steve,

How very nice of you to say so. One just can't avoid it with the content of some posts, excepting you here by the way.

:cheers:

T

the record spot

relocated said:
"Better and more revealing recordings" is a whole new ball game that no doubt has its own absolutest town criers.

Pop over to the Steve Hoffman site, or check out the Loudness Wars via Google and take it from there. Any number of great mastering engineers, aside from Hoffman himself, see also Barry Diament, Joe Gastwirt, Bernie Grundman, Vic Anesini and many others, wholly distance themselves from some of the crud that passes itself off as a credible CD release today.

Limited to hell, EQ'd to death; no, this isn't about absolutism, it's about clear differences based on good practice and not some miniscule difference between different wires that give minimal returns.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
relocated said:
the record spot said:
you'd be better off spending the time and investment thereof getting better and more revealing recordings than the bit of wire that connects your source to your speakers.
small-logo.png

Here's a thread that may be of interest to you if you're looking for some good quality recordings.

http://hddaudio.net/viewtopic.php?id=4687

Devondave

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Honest answer, YES

To those who poor scorn on this can you actually afford to buy one? as it seems to be the anti brigade are fuelled by lack of ability to buy one or their systems are just very low level.

I am a high end system owner taken 35 years to get to my system as it is now and the biggest improvements per £ came from cables such as Chord Indigo....

Enough said

T

the record spot

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum, careful how you go about opening cans of worms that have been opened many times before...and yes, I can afford to buy one.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Devondave said:
Honest answer, YES

To those who poor scorn on this can you actually afford to buy one? as it seems to be the anti brigade are fuelled by lack of ability to buy one or their systems are just very low level.

I am a high end system owner taken 35 years to get to my system as it is now and the biggest improvements per £ came from cables such as Chord Indigo....

Enough said

Not at all elitist, arrogant or misinformed!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Devondave said:
To those who poor scorn on this can you actually afford to buy one? as it seems to be the anti brigade are fuelled by lack of ability to buy one or their systems are just very low level
Does that include Rick@Musicraft who owns a £30k+ system but has feely admitted on this very thread that he sees no point in using anything but decent cheap interconnects and manufacturer-supplied mains cables?

By the way, welcome to the forum. Just curb the perhaps-unintended pretentious c**kiness, less of the generalisations about what other forum members can and can't afford, and I'm sure you'll fit in fine. I for one would love to see your system. Get some pictures up.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Devondave said:

Enough said

I think that deserves an 'Enfield' award.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts