Differences in sound between Hi-Fi brand

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Andrewjvt said:
i think you need to get the credit for my decision to buy the 160. I never even heard of hegel before i read your posts. I was hooked straight away. I should be able if all goes to plan to collect mine in about 10 weeks.

I hope you like it then, though if I'm honest, the ATCs are the real game changers in my house, absolutely stupidly ridiculous value given how ridiculously expensive hi fi gear is. I'd love to hear the Abrahamsen amp having a go at 100+dB driving the 40s, which the Hegel does brilliantly. 
[would you go for the h300 if you could go back in time a few months? I mean you said in another post that youd only consider changing amps in the future if you needed more power.]

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Its amazing that you are just taliking about Abrahamsen, and comparing to Hegel a brand i really like and respect. The Chap picked his V4.0UP yesterday he replaceing his broken Electrocompaniet AWS120 and stand in Quad amps, he said its as good if not better and that it really bought his Sonus Faber Vener 2.5's alive. He still wants me to drop off a pair of IPL S2TLK's though.

All I need now is to get Mrs boggit to pose with an ipad next to a V2.0 with a Yukka plant and we are away! Unfortunatly I dont think it will have such an impact!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
We could try and arrange, where are you in the country? The other thing is "bakeoffs" HiFiWigwam guys get together with there kit, drink beer and woffle, we could try that?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
All I need now is to get Mrs boggit to pose with an ipad next to a V2.0 with a Yukka plant and we are away! Unfortunatly I dont think it will have such an impact!

Oh I dunno, let's try it :)

Can I do the make-up?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Andrewjvt said:
iQ Speakers said:
Andrewjvt said:
Ive worked out price of 2 power amps but id need also a dac and possibly a pre amp. if you price that altogether its more money so would come down to testing to compare.

And alot more boxs! I have 2 V4.0 on the way and my intention is to see if the 2 bridged v4.0 offer a considerable sonic advantage.

[please let us know]

Instead of the H160?

It would be really interesting to put them against each other, with a variety of speakers.

[do you think youl need more poer though than the hegel 160?]

SteveR750

iQ Speakers said:
We could try and arrange, where are you in the country? The other thing is "bakeoffs" HiFiWigwam guys get together with there kit, drink beer and woffle, we could try that?

We could, but in the absence of the more usual forum features, such as private messaging it's a bit difficult.

Andrew, no I wouldn't get a 300, nor probably an H30. If I wanted more power, I'd probably change to active SCM50s, I can't see the point in separates any more. Even if the H160 is a better match than ATCs own amp as a separate box, I doubt any separate box is going to be as good (let alone as elegant aesthetically) as active speakers. The challenge would be to replace the H160 with an equally capable DAC preamp. I don't think I'd have to look far.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
iQ Speakers said:

We could, but in the absence of the more usual forum features, such as private messaging it's a bit difficult.

email me at colin@iqspeakers.co.uk i will arrange, any body interested give me a shout. It would be nice to have a Dev Matt49 some different streamers as thats a hot topic of interest, and a turntable or 2? Cheltenham is a fantstic place to visit as well. We could arrange a Pub/meal visit as well. You never know we all may get on!

CnoEvil said:
Here are my subjective assessments, which are personal and not everyone will agree.

Forward / Bold / Exciting / Analytical

Chord

Cyrus

Cambridge Audio

Clean / Detailed / A little uninvolving

- Linn

- Bel Canto

- Digital Nad

- Moon

- Primare

- Densen

Neutral

- Griffon

- Bryston

- Hegel

Fairly Neutral / Hint of warmth

- Plinius

- ATC

- Classe

- Mark Levinson

Bold / Musical / Fun

- Rega

- Creek

- Roksan

- Exposure

- Leema

- Naim

- Krell

- Nad

Slightly Warmer / Darker

- Musical Fidelity

-Electrocompaniet

- Arcam

- Audio Analogue

- Unison Research Unico

- Quad

- McIntosh

Rich / Clear / Engaging / Euphonious

- Accuphase

- Luxman

- Pathos

- Sugden

- Audio Research

- Croft

Musical / Delicate

- Ayre

- Aesthetix

- Coda

- Lavardin

Although very good and agree with a number of your conclusions, it's a little anal. My alternative of amps over recent years is as follows:

Snoggable

Arcam; Creek; Leema

Fancy a pint?

Marantz; Roksan; Rega Elicit-R; Bryston; Moon; Pioneer

Assam or 'Red Label'?

Primare; Cambridge Azur 840; Rotel; Nad; Yamaha; Naim; Audio Analogue

Ma! The wheelie bin's overflowing!

Cyrus; Audiolab; entry-level Cambridge Audio; Early Musical Fidelity (sorry); Sherwood.

Can't beat a little levity on a Sunday. *music2*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Although very good and agree with a number of your conclusions, it's a little anal. My alternative of amps over recent years is as follows:

Snoggable

Arcam; Creek; Leema

Fancy a pint?

Assam or 'Red Label'?

Cyrus; Audiolab; entry-level Cambridge Audio; Early Musical Fidelity (sorry); Sherwood.

I believe anal was what the OP was looking for....but I prefer your catagories (which is why I've missed your input over the last while).

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
PP you only came back for advise on a telly! As you may have seen the Abrahamsen has been a roaring sucsess, Its an incedibale thing. I had a Audio Analouge Maestro thingy V2 and yes it was a dull as ditch water!

iQ Speakers said:
PP you only came back for advise on a telly! As you may have seen the Abrahamsen has been a roaring sucsess, Its an incedibale thing. I had a Audio Analouge Maestro thingy V2 and yes it was a dull as ditch water!

This is twooo.

My lighthearted take on the above list is purely on amps I've heard, hence the omission of brands such as Electrocompaniet, Linn, Lavardin etc etc.

You know (as we all do) that hi-fi is very personal when it comes to choices. In the 4 month sabbatical I've never enjoyed my system as much. The only change will (probably) be made is a Tucana at this stage.

Pleased you love the Abrahamsen, but after 5 years of owning the Pulse my enthusiasm hasn't dimmed one iota.

iQ Speakers said:
Your welcome to hear one, I owe you one. Glad you enjoyed your time off, hows the business going?

Business going really well, Ta. You don't owe me anything. Pleased your business wheeze is going well.

Due to an imminent house move (unsure of exact date), I'm clearing the attic and boxing various non-essentials.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:

email me at colin@iqspeakers.co.uk i will arrange, any body interested give me a shout. It would be nice to have a Dev Matt49 some different streamers as thats a hot topic of interest, and a turntable or 2? Cheltenham is a fantstic place to visit as well. We could arrange a Pub/meal visit as well. You never know we all may get on!

I'd certainly be up for this and am also happy to host (in London or Glos) at some point in the future. I'm sure everyone would get on fine. In fact I think the most controversial thing is likely to be the choice of music!

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
not sure i agree with brands having a house sound with all their components ,they do deviate, I once had a rotel rcd965bx cd player , which was one of the most laid back digtal sources i have heard, laid back is not a rotel trait , but obviously they go that way sometimes

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I think the "house sound" thing is just in the minds of people. I am susceptible to that as anybody else, I like Marantz kit, but I am aware that this might partly be in my head.

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I think the "house sound" thing is just in the minds of people. I am susceptible to that as anybody else, I like Marantz kit, but I am aware that this might partly be in my head.

Chris

It's just as likely that I am talking myself into the house sound, as you might be talking yourself out of it.

FWIW. I have heard enough kit to be satisfied, at least in my own mind. eg. You only need to compare Chord with Arcam, or Cyrus with Sugden.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Strange that they haven't declared what the input sensitivity is. Hmmm...

[Ive emailed them for the figures so you can see for yourself but if I understand correctly The input sensitivity is set correct or not to high as when i demoed the amp i could turn it all the way up to 80/100 and no sign of stress at all. on my roksan kandy i listen at 9 o clock and then up to 10 and its very loud but because of my next door neighbours, i have not gone higher ]

On another note - i am not looking for another amp to replace the kandy because i was unhappy with the performance - I was going to spend between 600 - 1000 on a dac so thought i could get a better amp with a dac for about the same money if i sold my older equipment. Im still a roksan fan and love the sound.

SteveR750

matt49 said:
iQ Speakers said:

I'd certainly be up for this and am also happy to host (in London or Glos) at some point in the future. I'm sure everyone would get on fine. In fact I think the most controversial thing is likely to be the choice of music!
Me too, though the wine list might be the sticking point :)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
Here are my subjective assessments, which are personal and not everyone will agree.

Forward / Bold / Exciting / Analytical

Chord

Cyrus

Cambridge Audio

Clean / Detailed / A little uninvolving

- Linn

- Bel Canto

- Digital Nad

- Moon

- Primare

- Densen

Neutral

- Griffon

- Bryston

- Hegel

Fairly Neutral / Hint of warmth

- Plinius

- ATC

- Classe

- Mark Levinson

Bold / Musical / Fun

- Rega

- Creek

- Roksan

- Exposure

- Leema

- Naim

- Krell

- Nad

Slightly Warmer / Darker 

- Musical Fidelity

-Electrocompaniet

- Arcam

- Audio Analogue

- Unison Research Unico

- Quad

- McIntosh

Rich / Clear / Engaging / Euphonious

- Accuphase

- Luxman

- Pathos

- Sugden

- Audio Research

- Croft

Musical / Delicate

- Ayre

- Aesthetix

- Coda

- Lavardin

Snoggable

Arcam; Creek; Leema

Fancy a pint? 

Assam or 'Red Label'?

Good to have you back, plastic penguin.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Plastic, the early Musical Fidelity amps you'd assign to the bin. Would that include the A1, buy any chance?

It's just that I've recently read something interesting about the history of that amp that would explain why it was not very good.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Snoggable

Arcam; Creek; Leema

Fancy a pint?

Assam or 'Red Label'?

Let me know when and I'll lurch around your wheely bins ...

SteveR750

iQ Speakers said:
SteveR750 said:
iQ Speakers said:

Colin, you have mail.

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts