Differences in sound between Hi-Fi brand

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
I really am asking as im saving for an expensive hegel h160 and i currently have a roksan kandy. Now based on the comments about hegel being neutral and roksan being bold. I think i like bold

You being a professional car tech is good in this instance. You don't have to be an electronics engineer, just take off the lid on both amps and let me know if one seems 'bolder' than the other.

Apart from all the boards etc the hegel 160 has a power supply of 550va Transformer and a 60000uf capacitor bank. the roksan i think going off memory is also 500 or 550va but not sure off the rest.

so please tell me as an professional how does the rest compare and if its similar please give me your verdict

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
so please tell me as an professional how does the rest compare and if its similar please give me your verdict.

I'm not an electronics engineer, but it's fairly obvious the Hegel has a more robust power supply, higher power output section and a top notch marketing department.

H16004.jpg

H16008.jpg

The best for last...

7.png

Strange that they haven't declared what the input sensitivity is. Hmmm...

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
so please tell me as an professional how does the rest compare and if its similar please give me your verdict.

I'm not an electronics engineer, but it's fairly obvious the Hegel has a more robust power supply, higher power output section and a top notch marketing department.

The best for last...

Strange that they haven't declared what the input sensitivity is. Hmmm...

what does input sensitivity do or mean?

Ill email them and ask - they are very open

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
wilro15 said:
Abrahamsen v2.0-UP has 1000va *diablo*
+ 100,000uF Capacitance

its like Top Trumps now there is an idea Vlad!

Ive worked out price of 2 power amps but id need also a dac and possibly a pre amp. if you price that altogether its more money so would come down to testing to compare.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
same size as h300 although thats 250 watts / channel and £3800

Not really worth comparing to Abrahamsen, they are quite mad. When you make a budget integrated amplifier capable of welding your fence, you start stacking the electronics boards like cards sideways because you are running out of room. I like how the Hegel is tidy, civilized and well sorted.
thumbs_up.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
wilro15 said:

Thats a lot of amplifier for the money though I do question the need for such a substantial power supply considering the wattage.

The basic version seems ample.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Andrewjvt said:
wilro15 said:

Thats a lot of amplifier for the money though I do question the need for such a substantial power supply considering the wattage.

The basic version seems ample.
Its makes a huge differance in sound, I dont care how, why or what the specs are, the UP is simpley vastly superior. Same tone but just faster more dynamic and rerally punchy I could not recomend the standard version in the same passionate way. To me it makes no sence given the £200 differance, though you can upgrade it to the UP. Do you think i should offer the standard version?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Ive worked out price of 2 power amps but id need also a dac and possibly a pre amp. if you price that altogether its more money so would come down to testing to compare.

And alot more boxs! I have 2 V4.0 on the way and my intention is to see if the 2 bridged v4.0 offer a considerable sonic advantage.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
wilro15 said:

At £3800 you're in the region of a Devialet 120. Lowest measured distortion of ANY amplifier (apparently) and DAC, SAM and Streamer included in the price.

http://en.devialet.com/devialet-120-en

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
I'd buy the Dev on paper and looks alone! I would have to listen to one first but i think its an incrediable product.

I didn't originally look at the specs when I bought mine. I bought it for its sound quality alone. It's so smooth it's almost Valve-like.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Ooh, that sounds interesting, especialy if you can glide around town in silence with a hybrid.
Covenanter said:
Helmut80 said:
When it comes to hifi and cars, the obvious answer is a 911 with Burmester.

I've just switched from a sports car to a big Lexus as I am now to old and stiff to get in and out of the former. The Lexus has a Mark Levinson audio system and I have to say that allied to the near silence of the Lexus it is by a very long distance the best sound I have ever heard in a car.

Chris

SteveR750

Andrewjvt said:
drummerman said:
Andrewjvt said:
Are we all saying that expensive hifi is not enjoyable?

Certainly not.

I seriously am worried to spend loads of cash on something more boring than what i had already

but as always you are the voice of reason between scientists and homeopaths ha

In your words what do you get for extra money or the more you upgrade/spend?

You wouldn't buy a car without driving it, yet you might make your shortlist up by looking at the specs. I've even let the specs almost override the driving test, that's how persuasive they can be, but that's how I think, and YMMV.

To answer your particular question, you know the specs, what's inside, now listen to it. You'll either hear a difference (and frankly its moot whether it's real or a spec induced placebo), or you won't. It's as informed a decision as you can make, and that includes being persuaded by other's opinions.

Meanwhile, read this

IMHO the end sound you hear is influenced by room acoustics. It's too easy to pigeonhole brands (which I've done in the past), but the with the right source and speakers you can manipulate the sound, slightly, almost shape a sound to match your room/taste.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

IMHO the end sound you hear is influenced by room acoustics. It's too easy to pigeonhole brands (which I've done in the past), but the with the right source and speakers you can manipulate the sound, slightly, almost shape a sound to match your room/taste.

If you've got a Valve Amp, you can also shape the sound a little by using different brand Tubes. - It's surprising the difference this can make.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
Ooh, that sounds interesting, especialy if you can glide around town in silence with a hybrid.
Covenanter said:
Helmut80 said:
When it comes to hifi and cars, the obvious answer is a 911 with Burmester.

I've just switched from a sports car to a big Lexus as I am now to old and stiff to get in and out of the former. The Lexus has a Mark Levinson audio system and I have to say that allied to the near silence of the Lexus it is by a very long distance the best sound I have ever heard in a car.

Chris

It is a hybrid and very quiet.

Chris

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Andrewjvt said:

And alot more boxs! I have 2 V4.0 on the way and my intention is to see if the 2 bridged v4.0 offer a considerable sonic advantage.
[please let us know]

SteveR750

Andrewjvt said:
iQ Speakers said:
Andrewjvt said:

[please let us know]

Instead of the H160?

It would be really interesting to put them against each other, with a variety of speakers.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Andrewjvt said:
drummerman said:
Andrewjvt said:
Are we all saying that expensive hifi is not enjoyable?

Certainly not.

I seriously am worried to spend loads of cash on something more boring than what i had already

but as always you are the voice of reason between scientists and homeopaths ha

In your words what do you get for extra money or the more you upgrade/spend?

You wouldn't buy a car without driving it, yet you might make your shortlist up by looking at the specs. I've even let the specs almost override the driving test, that's how persuasive they can be, but that's how I think, and YMMV.

To answer your particular question, you know the specs, what's inside, now listen to it. You'll either hear a difference (and frankly its moot whether it's real or a spec induced placebo), or you won't. It's as informed a decision as you can make, and that includes being persuaded by other's opinions.?

Meanwhile, read this
[i think you need to get the credit for my decision to buy the 160. I never even heard of hegel before i read your posts. I was hooked straight away. I should be able if all goes to plan to collect mine in about 10 weeks.]

SteveR750

Andrewjvt said:
i think you need to get the credit for my decision to buy the 160. I never even heard of hegel before i read your posts. I was hooked straight away. I should be able if all goes to plan to collect mine in about 10 weeks.

I hope you like it then, though if I'm honest, the ATCs are the real game changers in my house, absolutely stupidly ridiculous value given how ridiculously expensive hi fi gear is. I'd love to hear the Abrahamsen amp having a go at 100+dB driving the 40s, which the Hegel does brilliantly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts