Differences in sound between Hi-Fi brand

assault

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone.

As title suggests, I'm interested in learn what are the main differences in sound between Hi-Fi brand (mainly amplifiers, but also speakers if you want). Unfortunately there aren't much Hi-Fi store in my city, but I want to learn more about the different brand in Hi-Fi world.

Also link to existing pages are accepted. I'm curious to discover the main characteristics of every (major) brand.

Thank you,

assault

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm not searching a new amplifier. This is intended to be an academical thread for people (relatively) new to the Hi-Fi world.

For example: what is the difference between Rotel and Naim sound? Or: how would you describe the sound of Nad amp? I know that this is a really generic question, but it's not too much related to money (in the same price range, the amp of two different brand sound different I think). I would like to collect some adjectives for the major amp brand.

What brand produce warm amp? And what brand has detailed amp on his catalogue? This thread should answer to questions like these.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but your academic research needs to draw out meanigful comparison hence my suggestion that you make it more specific, price being one way of doing this. Just a thought!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The question seems to be what manufacturer uses what type of voicing in order to create their own recognizable 'house sound'.

For example Naim is known for fast, energetic, foot tapping sound with excellent PRaT, but can sound harsh and 2D in its soundstage. For NAD people say it sounds dark and bassy, even slow, but very pleasant and musical. Similar to NAD is Harman/Kardon, only bit more neutral. Marantz is deemed warm, rich, organic and musical, with well sorted soundstage, but can sound congested when pushed loud. Etc. etc. etc.

The question is not if there is a house sound (it's presumed there is one) and how it's done, just what are its characteristics. It's as academic as telling jokes about asian drivers or blondes.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
This is likely to be quite controversial, whether because people will disagree whether most brands of electronics do in fact have a house sound (they all sound the same, don't they? -- except for a couple of obvious outliers such as Naim), or because people disagree what the house sound of each brand is (Musical Fidelity = 'smile' FR [hides behind sofa]).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Here are my subjective assessments, which are personal and not everyone will agree.

Forward / Bold / Exciting / Analytical

Chord

Cyrus

Cambridge Audio

Clean / Detailed / A little uninvolving

- Linn

- Bel Canto

- Digital Nad

- Moon

- Primare

- Densen

Neutral

- Griffon

- Bryston

- Hegel

Fairly Neutral / Hint of warmth

- Plinius

- ATC

- Classe

- Mark Levinson

Bold / Musical / Fun

- Rega

- Creek

- Roksan

- Exposure

- Leema

- Naim

- Krell

- Nad

Slightly Warmer / Darker

- Musical Fidelity

-Electrocompaniet

- Arcam

- Audio Analogue

- Unison Research Unico

- Quad

- McIntosh

Rich / Clear / Engaging / Euphonious

- Accuphase

- Luxman

- Pathos

- Sugden

- Audio Research

Musical / Delicate

- Ayre

- Aesthetix

- Coda

Good effort but I don't agree with all of that. Where would you put Audiolab?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:

I would be surprised if you did. Something like that list is always going to be simplistic, as well as subjective.

FWIW. I would put Audiolab along with Chord and Cyrus.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BigH said:

I would be surprised if you did. Something like that list is always going to be simplistic, as well as subjective.

FWIW. I would put Audiolab along with Chord and Cyrus.

Yes I agree. I would say speakers make more difference to the sound anyway. If I did blind test with amps of similar power I doubt I could tell many apart.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
This is not meant to be controversial I think it's an excellent thread apart from some glaring omissions *mail1* Has anybody lined all these up and found this or is it just a reputation that the brands have developed on the way?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Cno, where are the big Japanese brands on your list? You seem to have completely overlooked Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Rotel, and Onkyo...

It was quite deliberate.....I haven't listened to those brands since the 70s/80s. You would be much more qualified to give decent insight...so I was hoping you might do the honours. *smile*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
@cno sorry op could not remember the thread, how are you feeling?

A bit rough, as after they zapped the stone, they inserted a stent (for about 2 weeks)....this gives kidney and bladder pain, as well as bleeding and a constant need to P (which stings). *sad*

matthewpiano

CnoEvil said:
matthewpiano said:
Cno, where are the big Japanese brands on your list? You seem to have completely overlooked Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Rotel, and Onkyo...

It was quite deliberate.....I haven't listened to those brands since the 70s/80s. You would be much more qualified to give decent insight...so I was hoping you might do the honours. *smile*
:) A couple of years ago I might have done so, but I'm not as sure about the differences as I used to be. I think they tend to be fairly subtle in the end and that it is too easy to get carried away with finding differences. I think all the Japanese brands I mention are very good at making extremely competent all-rounders which are well engineered, decently featured, and in the main decent value for money. I'd add Pioneer to that list as well.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Even within brands there are no fixed house sounds, differences to do with price, product range but also over time different products change and new technology has an impact.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
A bit rough, as after they zapped the stone, they inserted a stent (for about 2 weeks)....this gives kidney and bladder pain, as well as bleeding and a constant need to P (which stings). *sad*

p!sser!

I hope you feel comfortable soon. In the meantime some nice music therapy perhaps.

*good*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:

p!sser!

I hope you feel comfortable soon. In the meantime some nice music therapy perhaps.

*good*

Perhaps from Pisano, Pisendel and Pistocchi. *biggrin*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:

p!sser!

*good*

Perhaps from Pisano, Pisendel and Pistocchi. *biggrin*

Or maybe The Stone Roses, Rolling Stones, Stone the Crows, Joss Stone or Sly and the Family Stone?

Glad you're on the mend!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I will now try and do something similar for speakers

Slightly foward of neutral

- Focal

- Triangle

- Monitor Audio

- Elac

Fairly Neutral

- ATC

- PMC

- Previous Kef Ref

- Gamut

- Tannoy

- Acoustic Energy

- Neat

- Usher

- Focal (Aria)

- Totem

- Vivid

Slightly Warmer than neutral

- Dynaudio

- Kef

- Proac

- Diapason

- Newer Spendor

- Q Acoustics

- B & W

- Dali

- Audio Physic

- Linn

- New model Sonus Fabers

More Old school (smoother / richer)

- Harbeth

- Spendor Classic

- Older Sonus Faber

- Opera

- Audio Note

- Rega (about to be replaced)

- Epos

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
So with a warmer type of amplifier like my Marantz it is recommended to audition a more forward style of speaker like Focal or Monitor Audio right?

Is that why the Marantz / B&W combo is said to be a lesser match. I know it's all about auditioning, but this could be a good way to reduce the amount of options I need to listen to...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts