Did you know?

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Reading a book about the extremes in nature/physics etc. The one on loudness is interesting. The French Horn is the loudest unamplified instrument, and a third of players under 40 have some related hearing loss. Something like Saturn V taking off is around 200dB, whereas Krakatoa or Tunguska were reckoned to be between 300-315dB*. Above 160dB at close range is apparently 'probably not survivable'.

*Being near anything like this would not only blow your eardrums, but also pulverise organs and shatter bones.

Reading a book about the extremes in nature/physics etc. The one on loudness is interesting. The French Horn is the loudest unamplified instrument, and a third of players under 40 have some related hearing loss. Something like Saturn V taking off is around 200dB, whereas Krakatoa or Tunguska were reckoned to be between 300-315dB*. Above 160dB at close range is apparently 'probably not survivable'.

*Being near anything like this would not only blow your eardrums, but also pulverise organs and shatter bones.
I read somewhere, a very long time ago, that the low frequency vibrations generated by the Saturn V at lift-off, would cause internal rupturing in large animals, up to around a kilometre away.

I read somewhere, a very long time ago, that the low frequency vibrations generated by the Saturn V at lift-off, would cause internal rupturing in large animals, up to around a kilometre away.
It also described how sound changes above 194dB, because the acoustic energy is so high that it overcomes atmospheric pressure - which is why rocket sound is a sort of crackle.

Reactions: Friesiansam
From the same book:

If you had the visual acuity of an Eagle, you'd be able to spot an ant on the pavement from the top of a ten-storey building.

Rather than keep quoting from it, I'll give it a plug - author is nothing to do with me for clarity. And ignore the rubbish title...

Jasonovich

From Delayed Gratification's book Misc:

Between 2016 and 2023, the Electoral Commission approved the following political party names:

The Rubbish Party.
The Church of the Militant Elvis Party.
The Beer, Baccy & Scatchings Party.
The Children of the Atom Party.

Alas the rejected The Dog for Prime Minister Party.
The Monster Raving Party by comparison, sounds pretty tame :)!

From Delayed Gratification's book Misc:

Between 2016 and 2023, the Electoral Commission approved the following political party names:

The Rubbish Party.
The Church of the Militant Elvis Party.
The Beer, Baccy & Scatchings Party.
The Children of the Atom Party.

Alas the rejected The Dog for Prime Minister Party.
There's some good ones in other countries too:
The Hungarian Two Tailed Dog Party, is a good one...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts