Did you know?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
If it copes with that, whatever a typical owner throws at it (and however much they may be lacking in mechanical sympathy), the engine should cope.
Well, not quite. Running the engine on high revs consistently is totally different to high then low, high then low etc… and thousands of engine on & off,

totally get your point though. I’m sure they test for normal wear AND for insane wear just to prove their engineering is better than anyone else’s. The ego of the engineer knows no equal.

Bentley's (VAG's) W12 engine ceases production very soon. Piece in Autocar about it.

Every one gets tested, as you'd expect. One in a hundred gets eight hours at 6,000 rpm against 664lbs/ft. During development, they were subject to 100 hrs at full throttle plus repeated thermal shocking - full power with coolant up to 100°, then flushed with coolant at -30°, then run straight back up to 110°. 400 times. That's a hard life...

105,000 engines made over that period, producing a combined output of over 6,000,000 bhp.
Anytime anyone mentions Bentley or Rolls Royce, I always reply "Where's the skip?"

Bentley or Rolls owners tend to say, 'do you know who I am?', assuming they can get their heads out of their collective backside.

Friesiansam

Further to the above, a quote from an RAC article, about buying a used Cerbera:

“"I have amassed 2000 miles on dealer visits alone". "Thank God for the warranty is all I can say"."It has let me down on every trip over 100 miles". "Interior finish is frightening". There's no gentle way to break the news to you. The TVR Cerbera is a spectacularly unreliable car. ”

Reactions: plastic penguin
Bentley or Rolls owners tend to say, 'do you know who I am?', assuming they can get their heads out of their collective backside.
Thought about this just now, as the Bentley driver overtaking a parked car on his side of the road moved back over so slowly I had to move to the left of my lane - as if to suggest that the peasants approaching should slow down for their betters. Rules forbid appropriate word being typed.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I am old fashioned and dated. But I don't understand when car owners of eg Audi's, Bmw's , Land Rovers, Volvo's X40 and other cars in the same quality drive so slowly on the motorways... It seems such a waste of use of the car...?

jjbomber

Maybe I am old fashioned and dated. But I don't understand when car owners of eg Audi's, Bmw's , Land Rovers, Volvo's X40 and other cars in the same quality drive so slowly on the motorways... It seems such a waste of use of the car...?
At a guess:
BMW drivers are on 9 points.
Land Rover drivers are looking for a farmer's gate to go off-road
Volvos drivers are over 80 and can't see past their flat cap.

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts