Denon1912 + B&W684 + !!!

kathir

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Hallo Guys,

I have made decision to upgrade my appartment with a nice set of hifi potentially or possibily 5.1

As I checked for good speakers, according to the advices from members from this forum i did try to audition it.

From what I tried ( B&W, Kef Qs, IQ50 , Canton, Infinity ) limited due to availabity in this region in Switzerland.

I liked the sound delivery from B&W then I decided with 684 floorstand, as I am more into Music than movies.

B&W 684 itself is fantastic without Subwoofer.

But eventually I would need a 5.1 for Occational movies.

the complete B&W set seems quite expensive for me.

So I am thinking of getting a Harman kadron 20 and integrate with B&W684.

Can you please provide a short critical comment on this?

does it make sense. or is it a horrible idea?

And I do get some cheaper iq5 ... can I integrate these for surround?

Thanks in advance,

kathir

A

Anonymous

could you not get the matching centre and buy some cheaper rear surrounds?

How about some used DM600's second hand for the rears if you want to keep with the B+W brand?

Matt

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello

Personaly I have the BW set an it took me a year to complete it. So I don't know what your budget is....but it's supzrb set I think.

Whatever you do, try to stay in the same serie (600) to complete your system not so much for the looks but stay in the same sound coulor.

Changing would be a shame because IMO the 684's are great speakers an you would mess it up with other gear maybe (this of course if you want to keep the 684 in your HT).

Exept for the sub it doesn't matter but than again the asw 608 610 are great for the money.

For the HT amp I don't know, I didn't realy tried the 684 just a few minute's on the denon 1911 an had directly the impression it was missing air....

Again It's BW an even if the digit's don't look like it, it need enough Power.... (that'w when I decided to separate my HI-FI from HT completlyas HI-FI is way more important to me to an I decided to spent more money for the music sound I'm looking for...)

For Hifi I heard azur 650 an nad 356 paired with the 684 bothe sounded great but for me the nad had more puch. But here it depends a lot the sound yuor afther the azure was great as well an is about 200€ cheaper.

Good luck

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
If you mean occasional movies as in one a week or less and money is a real issue then do whatever gets you going cheaply.

I use Spendor front speakers with mission centre and rears.

I watch maybe two films and a few episodes of various series a month on my system and I cannot see the point in spending money on a matching centre speaker.

If I watched as many movies as I used to when I had a full matching Mission speaker set I would definitely get the matching Spendor centre speaker. A matching set of speakers does sound better. Maybe that's why I watch less films. But if cost is an issue...

kathir

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Guys,

Thanks for the reply.

I did get the 684 and Denon 1912. Sounds so sweet.

Hey Roby you want to know my budget? :) I entered the shop at first with 500 bucks ( roughly 500 $ ) looking for a Canton CD movie package . After trying out I found my music mate B&W is sweet.

I decided to build the surround, slowly step by step.

Now I do like B&W HTM62. it is also too big for my place and then I would also need new furniture to accomodate it. SO thinking about it.

but anycase you wouldnt Use Center speakers for Music right ?

My dealer is giving me some canton Center speaker Canton CD 150 for trial.let me see how does this sound in my appartment.

Cheers,

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
kathir said:
Guys,

Thanks for the reply.

I did get the 684 and Denon 1912. Sounds so sweet.

Hey Roby you want to know my budget? :) I entered the shop at first with 500 bucks ( roughly 500 $ ) looking for a Canton CD movie package . After trying out I found my music mate B&W is sweet.

I decided to build the surround, slowly step by step.

Now I do like B&W HTM62. it is also too big for my place and then I would also need new furniture to accomodate it.

Had the same problem bought the htm 61 any way also because I had a good deal. Than I ended up buying an new tv stand to fit the center ;-)

enjoy

kathir

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
HI Roby,

B&W 684 along with 686 makes fantastic sound system... but due to space and positioning in the appartment, along with my girlfriends constant complains ( she really like the "cute" M-1 better than 686 box.). I had to compremise with B&W M-1 .. which is not bad actually.. for movies. it is fine.

I am quite content with B&W 684 for music .. which is my prio.

Now i would need to put a subwoofer in ths system. and I am interested in spending lot of money on that.

can you give a suggestion what I should look for ?

my budget is around 200 $ ... let m eknow if i have to increase it.

cheers

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Nice tp know you're enyoying the system IMO 684's are great speakers ;-). Personaly I think 200$ might be a little shy. Considering I'm a bit affraid even if you go for ex 608asw (arround 400) your 684's will produce more bass than you're sub.

I choosed the 610xp only because I managed to have a great deal on it the normal 610 schould be more than enough.

But as for the sub it's theoreticly the only element you can go to other brands without screwing up your sound.

I would check out Velodyn but it's the same price class as the ASW610 + is that the Velodyne come's with a remote Personally I quite miss that one....but beside that the 610 is amazing.

A good alternative I tested If you don't want to strech the budget to much is the Hecco

I tested 2 models who sounded amazing:

Heco Victa Sub 251A it cost arround 270€ an it's great for the price

Heco Aleva Sub 25A cost arround 5400€ but if you prepared to spend that kind of money I would go for a ASW610 or a Velodyne.

Sorry I can't be more Helpfull I really didn't payed to much attention to the sub par as I knew I wanted A classic ASW610 ass all the reviews where good an it mached the rest of my system visualy :oops: . The only reason I tested other sub's is because I was already waiting 4month's for my order an I ended up with the xp almost for the price of an normal 610 as compansation :)

So to be honest I didn't really need it but no regrets it's fantastic when you watch par example Apocalyps now My feet's are trilling at every explosion :bounce:

Let my know how it go's

gtz

A

Anonymous

Kathir, noit sure if you already settled on the 1912 .. If you have not, there is maybe another possibility: If you can get a (denon) receiver with pre-outs (got a 3808 myself), you could consider getting a poweramp instead of a sub. In my experience, especially given music is the priority, that would be more useful than a sub ..

I have done that myself recently, and have found that the external poweramp has really been able to open up my CDM7s, including the bass sound from them ..

Like I said, just a thought .. Even if not going for an external poweramp, consider to go for a receiver with pre-outs, so you are not restricting yourself for possible extensions later on:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts