Amp for Bowers 684 S2

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have B&W 684 S2 5.1 package powered with AVR Marantz SR6008. Overall I am very happy with the sound, especially for movies and gaming, music is also good, but I think those speakers can sound better in stereo...

I am thinking to add a integrated amp to setup for music, on radar I have:
- Rotel RA-12
- Rotel RA-1570 (very expensive.. is it an overkill for 684? ..there should be very good reason to pay double the price of RA-12)
- Marantz PM7005 and PM8005 (7005 has DAC which is great benefit, but will it control 684?)
- Naim 5si (have good SH offer)

I listen to really wide range of music, from jazz vocals, johnny cash, classical, deep house,..

I am planning to use my sub B&W610 for music if I add stereo amp because I dont expect that 684 can cover bottom very well because of their size.

Any expiriances with listed amps and Bowers 685 or 684 S2 speakers? Any other suggestions to listen to?

Thanks!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I thought they sounded really good with the Marantz PM8005. Very smooth and natural.

I'd definitely give that pairing a more extended audition if I were in your situation.

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
ID. said:
I thought they sounded really good with the Marantz PM8005. Very smooth and natural.

I'd definitely give that pairing a more extended audition if I were in your situation.

Thanks, will have it on my demo list..

J_P_P

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
If you want to use a AVR...

You can try also a Pioneer AVR...it works fine with the 684 s2, should give you a more "forward" sound than with the Marantz. But maybe not the best choice for music.

You can try maybe a Anthem AVR , it should work well with the 684 s2. And Anthem AVRs are also pretty good with music.

Never had any experienced it myself, but the Denons are often considered a good combination with the B&Ws

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts