Denon purchase, run-in?

gripchimp

May 30, 2016
Visit site
Good Morning :)

Having GREATLY helped in the past, I wonder if I dare pick your combined brains again?

Have purchased a Denon DM41 DAB Micro DAB CD FM system for someone as a gift, and would like to run it in for them

if possible. I don't want to speak to a dealer, its usually painful :)

Could you advise the kind of run-in time I'm going to need, please and thank you.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
gripchimp said:
Good Morning :)

Having GREATLY helped in the past, I wonder if I dare pick your combined brains again?

Have purchased a Denon DM41 DAB Micro DAB CD FM system for someone as a gift, and would like to run it in for them 

if possible.  I don't want to speak to a dealer, its usually painful :)

Could you advise the kind of run-in time I'm going to need, please and thank you.

Is absolute b s so don't waste your time.
If you do believe in run in regardless then please also change the oil after 100 hours.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Some people believe certain solid state components only operate properly after having been switched on for a while from cold, same as valves/tubes. I really can't see that being the case in 2018, least not any component likely to be used in a mass-market microsystem. Maybe there's some lifesupport system or iron lung out there which mustn't be used until it's been switched on for an hour because its readings might be 0.00001% wrong. It certainly doesn't apply to mass-produced hifi.

Samd

I would have certainly opened the box and its insulation; let it air out any condensation and then run it just to check you haven't got a 'dead on arrival' package.

woodbino

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, agree with the above posts. "running in" is a load of rubbish on solid state devices. It makes absolutely no sense at all and is not needed.

Nice unit though. I'm sure your friend will be really pleased.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Then again if you're talking about speakers not electronics, some drivers (usually huge bass speakers) can take a while to soften-up their suspension and surrounds from brand new. So as usual there is a modicum of truth in something that's otherwise 99% myth, in so far as some specific things benefit from being 'run in'. But if anyone tells you eg a CD player sounds better after 48-72 hours continuous running to 'burn in' the electronics, just smile and humour them.

Good advice about at least opening it up and testing it though, I hadn't thought of that.

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Then again if you're talking about speakers not electronics, some drivers (usually huge bass speakers) can take a while to soften-up their suspension and surrounds from brand new.

That's correct.

The suspensions (spiders) of all woofers will loosen up within the first couple of hours of use. If you measure the T/S parameters of a woofer straight out of the box, then again after 2 hours 'break-in', the resonant frequency will have dropped by typically 5%, but hardly at all after that.

woodbino

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Then again if you're talking about speakers not electronics, some drivers (usually huge bass speakers) can take a while to soften-up their suspension and surrounds from brand new. So as usual there is a modicum of truth in something that's otherwise 99% myth, in so far as some specific things benefit from being 'run in'. But if anyone tells you eg a CD player sounds better after 48-72 hours continuous running to 'burn in' the electronics, just smile and humour them.

Good advice about at least opening it up and testing it though, I hadn't thought of that.

Good point, I didn't think about the speakers. But I guess if the speakers needed breaking in, the manual should tell you?

Having a read of this, it seems break in only takes about 10 seconds or so, and probably occured during testing at the factory...

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/speaker-break-in-fact-or-fiction

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts