DENON DVD1940 v Toshiba HD-EP35

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm not sure if this question was covered elsewhere in the forum relating to purchasing a good upscalable DVD player versus a good HD DVD player
I have just purchased a Panasonic 42-PZ70 TV with Sony STR-DA1200ES wired to Celestion AV501 speakers.

I have not purchased a DVD player yet and was considering purchasing the Toshiba HD-EP35. However, given the recent news about HD-DVD loosing to Blu-Ray, I am now considering buy a good upscalable DVD player like the Denon.

Do you think I should buy the Toshiba HD given that is can upscale normal DVD? Will the picture quality be better than the dedicated Denon upscaler?

Or should I go for the cheaper option of buying the Denon?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Rob2007"]I'm not sure if this question was covered elsewhere in the forum relating to purchasing a good upscalable DVD player versus a good HD DVD player

I have just purchased a Panasonic 42-PZ70 TV with Sony STR-DA1200ES wired to Celestion AV501 speakers.

I have not purchased a DVD player yet and was considering purchasing the Toshiba HD-EP35. However, given the recent news about HD-DVD loosing to Blu-Ray, I am now considering buy a good upscalable DVD player like the Denon.

Do you think I should buy the Toshiba HD given that is can upscale normal DVD? Will the picture quality be better than the dedicated Denon upscaler?

Or should I go for the cheaper option of buying the Denon?

[/quote]
Go for the Tosh hdvdvd from Amazon UK £270 with 7free hddvd films or wait a few days because i think Tosh is reducing the prices even further.
As for a dvd upscaler ( hd-ep35 sd dvd playback is more or less as good as the Denon 1940)mentioned in WHFSAV magazine.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the clarifications burhan. I think I'll wait a little and see if the Toshiba price comes down a little.

A

Anonymous

If I had a full HD Tv like your Panasonic, I'd definitely buy a player capable of Full HD output from the native disc. In the current climate that means a Blu Ray player, be it a PS3 or other. That's my view.

I was about to buy a HD-EP35 as well, but there's no point if you plan to keep it 10 years as I did. There's also no point if you're in the market for a player, buying an SD-DVD player. That's like a step backwards. Put the money in BD and if you can, wait a little for the market to mature, maybe 2 to 3 more months. That's not long!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice Will

I was looking into the PS3 deal offered on Amazon actually. I agree with the blu ray option being more future proof.

My only problem with is that PS3 does not adequately upscale normal DVD movies. I may just buy PS3 now and save up for a good DVD upscaler for later on

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd wait for news on the Tosh price-cuts - you could pick up an excellent upscaling player (and some cut-price HD DVDs to enjoy in months to come) for a bargain sum. They promised us news yesterday, but nothing to date - frustrating all round...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Please don't!
emotion-45.gif

This has been the price for some time - expected price cuts will trim a good deal off that. You've got to remember that the equivalent player in the US has just been slashed to $199....

A

Anonymous

And here's more good news for hddvd.
Hddvd.org .com
Hddvd.com

A

Anonymous

a good upscaling dvd player is the OPPO. check it out. but right now the tosh HD-A3 costs the same as the oppo 980, so...

A

Anonymous

I'm going to buy the EP35 and i'm trying to explain in my best english (because i'm from the Netherlands) why!!

The HD EP35 uses the ABT1018 chip from Anchor Bay Technologies. That chip is a much better upscale en de-interlacer then the Genesis Faroudja chip that's used in the Oppo and Denon 1940 (or the Sigma Designs chip in the BD palyers). You can compare the ABT1018 chip with the Silicon optix Reon (also used in the Denon 2930) chip. I've seen the difference between the Denon1940 (converting SD to HD : 720P), Panasonic DMP-BD10 (converting SD to HD : 720P) en the HD-EP35 (also converting SD to HD: 720P), the EP35 is much better in converting your SD DVD to the HD-DVD standard. Oh i used the great dvd of a well know english guitar player.... David Gilmour - "Remember that Night"

The Blu-Ray players that are available at the moment just suck in playing (upscaling) sd-dvd's, otherwise i would buy a Blu-Ray player ( i think Blu-ray will win the "war"). The Blu-Ray players use the Sigma Designs SMP8635 chip and that chip isn't so great in upscaling sd to hd.

I'm going to buy the EP35 for 250 euro because i own a lot of sd-dvd's and i don't want to throw them away or buy them in the new format. And in a few months i'm buying a network player (DVICO Tvix M6500 that will play hd formats)

Greetz Nils Groters

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts