Oppo 105 vs denon 3800BD

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I know there are other posts relating to the oppo 105, but I was hoping that someone may be able to give comparison with the Denon 3800BD.i am thinking of purchasing a new Blu-ray to obtain a more upto date machine, however, the main use is blu-ray & DVD playback via the in built DAC of the player as my arcam av9 (which I have never considered changing due to its superb sound) is unable to decode HD audio. The main reason to update is to see if the picture & sound (latter being the main reason) can be improved. Considering that my Denon was a high end player, I am dubious whether the purchase would simply be a side ways step for audio / video playback,but obviously upgrade for other features that I may not use often, if at all.any advice greatly received.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Since your Denon 3800BD can't decode HD audion I presume that you are using 5.1 or 7.1 multichannel analogue outputs to the Arcam AV9 receiver? If you keep that Arcam then surely you'll still have to use the 7.1 outputs of a new Bluray player. So the question is, how do 7.1 multichannel audio outputs of the new player compare with those of your Denon? I don't know the answer, sorry. I'm puzzled because surely there is an HDMI lead from your Denon to your television, and you will have to continue to use that if you keep the Arcam. I know that my existing Oppo 95 is very, very good, and I also know that the new Oppo 105 is better still, but I don't know about your Denon 3800BD. If it helps at all I also have a Denon Blu-Ray player, the 4010BD. I'm not sure where it was in the Denon heirarchy compared to your 3800BD, but I can say that, to my eyes, looking at the television picture from the Denon in the parlour compared with the television picture from the Oppo in the kitchen, I find little difference.

super

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
What a coincidence, i have the Denon 3800BD and i have just bought the Oppo 105 and i asked the same question on another topic on this forum. I have only had the oppo 105 a week now and as i understand it has to do a little 'running in' but it is lovely bit of kit and i am using it along side Denon. I am now using the anologue outs on the oppo which i used before with the Denon and it sounds and looks superb through my Naim AV2 processor and my Pioneer plasma LX5090. It may sound even better when it settles down. :grin:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
super said:
What a coincidence, i have the Denon 3800BD and i have just bought the Oppo 105 and i asked the same question on another topic on this forum. I have only had the oppo 105 a week now and as i understand it has to do a little 'running in' but it is lovely bit of kit and i am using it along side Denon. I am now using the anologue outs on the oppo which i used before with the Denon and it sounds and looks superb through my Naim AV2 processor and my Pioneer plasma LX5090. It may sound even better when it settles down. :grin:

Well that's lovely but does it sound BETTER than the Denon?

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
:) Super, please do post your opinion re audio comparison, my main concern is improving the sound primarily, & I suppose this will be down to the internal DAC quality of each player. I will continue to use 5.1 anologue output to processor( did have 7.1 but decided to monoblock all front & rear speakers & did away with centre rears & have never missed them). Incidentally, thanks for your replies.

super

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
Even though it's still early days to give a fair comparison, i'd say YES ! There seems to be more activity that can be heard more easily through the channels with more precision and sharpness to the sound. One thing i did have to do through the anologue outs (same with the Denon) is i had to increase the output to the sub woofers in the settings, otherwise it was a little bass light for my liking. But i'm still tweaking with other things in the settings and it really is starting to sing. It will really be intresting to see "whathifi" will rate it when they test it as opposed to the moderate 3 star oppo 103.

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Is the improvement worth the cost of the purchase minus whatever I get for the Denon of course? Incidentally does anyone know what the Denon 3800BD is going for these days?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
There is one on there for £250...maybe it would be worth keeping it for the bedroom,rather than giving it away? :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Saw that one too :)

Electronics will always depreciate fast. Only speakers hold their value until a new revision is released, which as you know is a few years apart.

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
GSB said:
There is one on there for £250...maybe it would be worth keeping it for the bedroom,rather than giving it away? :)

is this the one currently on a well known auction site? If so it is just a DVD player, not the Blu-ray player, saying that, the denon model that did not include DAC, which I think was 2500 model, only went for £123. If this is all it would realise, then I would keep it for upstairs, it's too good to sell for that price.

Super, if you'd keep me up to date with your opinion as you listen more, it'd be greatly appreciated :grin:

super

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
Jog3004 it's brilliant, I'm loving it. If you can afford it and you've really got your heart set on it....go for it. I'm not getting rid of my Denon, for one you won't get what it's worth. Mine sitting next to the oppo and it's duties will be used occasionally. Incidentally, HCC magazine when they tested the oppo 105 said it was the best blu-ray they have ever tested...now gives a bit more confidence.

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
We've had quite a few guys come over from the 3800 to the 105, I used to sell the 3800 and it still is a fantastic player today, a true testament to how good it was when released a few years back that only now, and maybe with the 95, do we have a worthy successor.

Personally I used to own the Denon A1UD and the Pioneer LX91, I've always been a sucker for a high end Blu Ray player, but after selling my A1UD and returning to OPPO for the 95 I have had no regrets at all.

I've always found the Denon sound a little laid back via the analogues, perhaps some would call it more musical but for me I like a fast and dynamic sound for moviesand that is what you get with OPPO, extremely detailed without being harsh or analytical but extremely engrossing.

And when you look at everything else the 105 can do, all at an extremely high level, I feel the 105 to be the ultimate BD player and a bit of a bargain if I'm honest, and it loads quicker than the 3800 :)

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The Oppo sounds fantastic, but, one question is....considering that I will only be using it as a blu-ray player & that (as far as I am aware) the DAC is the same as the 95, would I get the same upgrade buying a 95, especially as there might be some good deals on them?

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Like the 105, the 103 is a fantastic player, I've just read the WHF review, beggers believe to be honest, it is a 5 star product in my view.

It really does come down to if you feel that you will use the added features of the 105, if you just want a high end Blu ray player which will be fed into a processor/reciever then the 103 is all that is needed really as the picture quality will be identical, but the 105 with the headphone amp, digital inputs and reference analogue section is the player for me.

I did a little shootout of the analogue section of the 103 v 105 here if you'd like a read -

http://hifilounge.tumblr.com/tagged/Oppo

D

Deleted member 2457

Paul@HiFi-Lounge said:
Like the 105, the 103 is a fantastic player, I've just read the WHF review, beggers believe to be honest, it is a 5 star product in my view.

smiley-laughing.gif

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd re-visit this thread as yesterday I spent all day demoing the 105 in varous different set-ups, firstly in a high end Naim system using Unity Gain on a Naim NAC 282 so we could achive a high end 2ch system and then with the flick of a button we had a reference movie system, then moved over to the Bryston system but going straight into the 7B SST2 mono blocks, then as a headphone set-up and it worked 100% perfectly every time.

I was really impressed with the headphone side as I hadn't got round to trying this yet, I love the way that as soon as you plug in the phones it mutes the volume and you get an independent variable volume for the headphones, which is really useful and a feature many dedicated headphone amps don't have, and it drove our HiFiMan HE-500's really well so it's a pretty good head amp section considering it is a Blu Ray player primarily.

The Denon 3800 is still a fantastic player but the more time I spend with the 105 it just amazes me at its overall quality and just how damn versatile it is.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Iv'e had mine a day,it was so easy to set-up...for a novice.

Listen to a multi-chanel SACD this afternoon,Dark side of the moon,had it since release,but oh my lord...wow!!

Watched TDKR,105 decoding audio and boy oh boy :grin:

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I firmly believe the OPPO 105 to be best bluray player on the market at the moment at sub £1000, its unbeatable and more or less future proof

the analogue section is probably one of the best you could ever listen to and the reviews its recieving, and will recieve, are all founded

if anyone can think of a better machine for the money then please let me know what it is

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
GSB said:
Iv'e had mine a day,it was so easy to set-up...for a novice.

Listen to a multi-chanel SACD this afternoon,Dark side of the moon,had it since release,but oh my lord...wow!!

Watched TDKR,105 decoding audio and boy oh boy :grin:

Hi GSB,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your 105, awesome bit of kit isn't it.

Since getting our 105 I've been on a bit of a SACD buying frenzy so I just wanted to say if you can get a copy of 'Wish You Were Here' then I highly recommend it as it is a fantastic 5.1 mix and in my opinion a better album than DSOTM.

It cost me around £40 but worth every penny :)

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey Paul,can you recommend a good site for sacd....apart from amazon & flea-bay?

Wish You Were Hear is on my list,as is some Dire-Straits:)

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Now enters a new quandary in the guise of Cambridge Audio BD752. Similar spec to Oppo & £200 cheaper. Has anyone had chance to experience the CA, particularly in comparison to the Oppo, I imagine to audition both together is impossible as (as far as I'm aware) richer sounds are the only stockist of CA & are unlikely to stock Oppo due to conflict of interests.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts