Oppo 105 vs denon 3800BD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
From another site:The DAC approach and analogue stage design is very different between the 752 and Oppo 105.For those wanting DSD direct to internal DAC or wishing to avoid asynchonus sample rate conversion there appears to be no way to acheive this with the CA.

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm collecting the oppo 105 tomorrow a to try for a couple of weeks. After reading reviews/opinions of this & CA 752, it appears the oppo is more exciting with action scenes etc on blu ray, which is what it will be predominantly used for, I will be using the internal DAC of the Oppo as my Arcam AV9 doesn't convert HDsignal. Here's to a thoroughly enjoyable weekend of testing & comparing against my BD3800 :grin:

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I have got my oppo 105 for close to 3 weeks now. and its stil improving.. This machine is tech marvel. It does so much & does it excellently.. Am very imppress. I have used it with my laptop, & my solid state harddrive to playing music throught its anlanouge outputs. Even the headphone amp is very good. Am a music producer so i got a lot of flie types on my hard drive & it played just about everything.

Also using it as transport for my Audio lab M-dac.. My M-dac has never sounded so good. I have even plugged my GTX 690 graphics card throught the oppo 105 into my main screen.. YOU KIDDING ME.. THE PICTURES OUT THE THIS WORLD..

Music wise its got a very clean sound & very musical.. But the sound is not one bit hard. It depends on what am listening to.. most of the time i use my M-dac to do the convertion.As am speaking now am goin to settle dwn to see how this machine deals with 3D movies.

I would recommend this machine to anyone.

Edit: Oh i forgot to mention networking.. that way as easy as A B C to setup.. & its working beautifully.

surroundman

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

is really worth it to spend 1000 £ for oppo 105 compare to e.g Pioneer BDP-450, Sony BDP S 790, Panasonic DMP-BDT500 ?

Can you really hear much sound improvement in oppo 105 compare to cheaper players ??

Because I am not sure at all. I have read avforums review of oppo 105 one of the positive was 7.1 Analogue audio outputs.

I do not Get it , is year 2013 what is advantaGe of 7.1 Analogue audio outputs ??????

If somebody have 1000 £ to spend for just Player I am sure that this person have 400-1000£ to spend on quality receiver so , no need for 7.1 Analogue audio outputs ?

If I am wrong then sorry guys, prove me it, Please ! What kind of any reason would be to spend 1000 £ for just player ?? Is your ears different to my , becasue my are very sensitive, but if there is massive difference between oppo 105 and other cheaper 5 stars players, then I WILL BUY IT honestly.

Many thanks

Basically, Oppo 105 employs an ESS Sabre32 DAC for its analogue connection, which is supposed to result in superior audio performance. Whether it's worth the extra spend or not, only you can decide. Definitely demo before purchase. When I demoed, I did not think the small improvement was worth the extra outlay for my use.

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Surroundman, you are entitled to your opinion, just as others are, like me, to choose to spend £1000 on a piece of equipment. I have always maintained that hifi/home cinema is subjective & different people hear differently. I chose the oppo because of the quality of the 7.1 anologue outputs as I don't want to swap my much loved av9 &P1 power amps, so this was the best option for me. Others may have other reasons. My purchase was justified because that's what I wanted to do, you choose the best route you want, as you are entitled to do, the Oppo for me is noticeably better than my previous denon 3800, both on sound& picture. With all hifi/home cinema diminishing return has always been an issue & a modern £400 blu ray player may have less difference compared to the Oppo than my ageing denon, but I chose what I wanted to spend & purchase, just as you are entitled to.

super

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
I have the oppo 105 and the Denon 3800BD side by side used on a Naim AV2 processor. I have no desire to replace the processor as i think it still sounds better (with a lot of others) than a lot of todays AV's. It has no hdmi inputs so the analogue section was important to me, that's one of the main reasons why i went for the Oppo 105 and gentlemen it sounds superb.

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I would encourage you to go have a listen surround an to the oppo & compare it with some cheaper players, the oppo for me has improved clarity & helps the processor steer effects better, most likey picture isn't improved but compared to the denon 3800 I think there is slightly better picture in terms of sharpness & detail in darker scenes. Even if your not buying, I find auditioning the best part of my kit upgrading, problem is once I buy new kit, I immediately think what next ;)

surroundman

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi jog,

I have the same problem after I buy something I immediatelly think what next :) :roll:

I should slow down and enjoy my life more, but now after your opinion about oppo well I am thinking about it , maybe :)

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I think bearing in mind all what the oppo can do its a real steal. I use it as transport, movies, blueray & suround music as well as playing music from my hard drive.. Sounds Excellent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts