Denon AVR2113 or Sony STRDN1030

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've been considering both too, amongst others.

The Sony probably has the better sound, the Denon is more future proofed, and possibly easier to use.

To my eyes, the Denon is far better looking, the Sony doesn't look good to me.

I have a Sony currently, so I do like Sony, but if it was a straight choice between the two, I'd go for the Denon.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with either for the money though.

I use banana plugs, makes things easier.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I use relatively cheap ones with two small side screws to hold the wire firmly in place. Others may say it pays to go the expensive route, but mine have been fine.

Can't remember how much they were, but I think they were from ebay. Just check the sellers feedback, see if you can see any for the banana plugs.

rjb70stoke

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Denon AVR-2113 and am absolutely delighted with it.

It is now in constant use whenever the TV is switched on, as with using the ARC function, we still only need to use the Sky remote to adjust the volume and it automatically turns on with the TV, and goes to sleep 30 mins after the TV has switched off. If you used the Denon app, you could easily lock this thing away in a cupboard and almost forget it was there, it fits in so seamlessly to the rest of your system. The streaming services are simple to set up and sound as good as the movie soundtracks.

Im sure if What HiFi were to re-review this amp now at its new price point, it would award 5 stars. No doubt the Sony, has the same functionality but from my experience with the Denon I recmmend it whole heartedly.

As for banana plugs, I bought these, and they do the job just fine. Much neater than bare wires, easier to handle, and as far as Im concerned no degradation in sound quality http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00369BWOA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

rjb70stoke

Can I just ask if the 2113 is your first av receiver, and if it isn't, what did you have before?

I'm sure what you say is true about the 2113's quality of sound, but I'd just like to know if you have had anything to compare it with.

My only worry about buying it, is that it won't sound as good as my current Sony.

Thanks in advance.

Always cut the red wire!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
My first, ah I was 17...wrong forum!, my first amp was the onkyo hrt538 or summit like that.

Pit was the amp from the onkyo home cinema in a box.

This will be my next amp. I'm a tight git so will only spend £300 tops.

My point is this, some1 on this forum said, judge everything that is 4* as a 5 once the price is dramatically reduced, as this is.

Glad I can use the sky remote to control the volume!

rjb70stoke

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi BBB,

No the 2113 isnt my first receiver. I had a Sony STR-DB925 from the early days of Dolby Digital, when all multi channel amps had the obligatory blue LED, to signify the 5.1 input.

I was always very happy with it, and only decided to change when I renovated the lounge and put the TV on the wall. My biggest reason for changing was for the HDMI switching and ARC, but now I have it, the difference is remarkable, I'd even go as far as to say that the DTS Neo 6 processing actually sounds better than the true 5.1 did on the Sony.

Musically I have always liked the Denon sound, and for music the 2113 blows my old Sony completely out of the water. Add in the network features inc. Spotify, ease of use, and for me it makes for a great all round system.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Thanks rjb70stoke

Will seriously consider this now, especially at it's current price at RS. I was thinking of either Yamaha RX-A810 or RX-A1020, but the 810 isn't as future proofed as the 2113, and the 1020 is perfect for me, but at this moment in time, too expensive.

Thanks for your help, I might well go for it this weekend.

TRENDING THREADS