Denon 2500Bt Playback issues

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi, Just in case anyone's interested, I've been on the phone to the Denon support desk today. According to them, the firmware upgrade 1113 should have no effect whatsoever on whether Universal discs such as Wnated and The Hulk will play or not. They did however say that they have FIXED the problem in the UK and sent the results to Japan for final verification. I asked if he anticipated another firmware upgrade in a couple of months then, and he said it should be considerably sooner. So hold on for a little longer and all should be well! Good news indeed!

A

Anonymous

Hi Davo. I've just dowloaded the latest firmware this evening and the number of it suggests it's 1115 and it's dated 19/01/2009. Hope this is it! Cheers.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Davo2008:Hi, Just in case anyone's interested, I've been on the phone to the Denon support desk today. According to them, the firmware upgrade 1113 should have no effect whatsoever on whether Universal discs such as Wnated and The Hulk will play or not. They did however say that they have FIXED the problem in the UK and sent the results to Japan for final verification. I asked if he anticipated another firmware upgrade in a couple of months then, and he said it should be considerably sooner. So hold on for a little longer and all should be well! Good news indeed!Thats different to what Denon just recently told a friend of mine as he contacted them & he was told that firmware 1113 "would" solve the problem with the universal BD LIVE titles.

I can see this being Pioneer all over again, everytime i contacted them they used to say "oh yes this firmware will solve the freezing issues" but it never did ! Then when id call them back theyd then say "if you just wait for another couple of weeks theres a new firmware thats coming out that "should" solve the problem, yet again, it never did.

Ive just lost faith in these damn firmwares but i hope Denons proves me wrong !!

So if version 1113 would have no effect on whether or not the universal titles would play properly then is it worth it installing this firmware? As the Denon only seems to have problems with these titles, would it be worth just by passing it & just wait for the one that does solve the problem??

mmmm just a thought?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Dougie G:
Hi Davo. I've just dowloaded the latest firmware this evening and the number of it suggests it's 1115 and it's dated 19/01/2009. Hope this is it! Cheers.
Could you let us know Dougie if this firmware 1115 solves the problem? I take it you have a BD LIVE universal disc you could try it with?

Thanks

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Apparently it's not. The Denon guy reckons it's still being tested in Japan. Although that could mean that this IS the one that fixes the problem and the guy just doesn't have a clue! Please let us know!

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Davo2008:Apparently it's not. The Denon guy reckons it's still being tested in Japan. Although that could mean that this IS the one that fixes the problem and the guy just doesn't have a clue! Please let us know!Exactly !

It could be a case of one dept doesnt know what the others doing, i think its just gonna have to be a case of whatever firmware comes out to install it & hope it solves the problems, if i had a quid for everytime Pioneer told me that the latest firmware "is" gonna solve the certain problems well? i wouldnt be sat here at work !

Half the time when you tell Denon, Pioneer etc that you have a certain problem with freezing, crashing & so on they always sound surprised that your having such issues, they say "oh we havnt heard of that peticular problem, i bet the staff dont even own a Denon 2500bt?

Anyway rambling over with & fingers crossed !

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Jase, I'm glad you're on. Have YOU done the side by side SD upscaling test with your 2500? What's best? On board or off-board upscaling? What Hifi says SD pictures are "scintillating" whereas other forums are full of people saying they're rubbish! Just in case you've been through it and have an opinion.....

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Davo2008:
Jase, I'm glad you're on. Have YOU done the side by side SD upscaling test with your 2500? What's best? On board or off-board upscaling? What Hifi says SD pictures are "scintillating" whereas other forums are full of people saying they're rubbish! Just in case you've been through it and have an opinion.....

Hi Davo

In a word "onboard" if you just leave the Denons video resolution set to AUTO which is the default setting anyway then the Denons own upscaling is active ok mate.

And SD pictures are absolutely amazing i cant get over how good they are, ive just recently watched HANCOCK on standard dvd & it almost approaches HD quality. i even look forward to watching DVDS through this player & thats saying something espec when comparing to blurays.

Hope this helps

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Davo2008:Yes, it helps a lot! So leave the amp out of it and let the Denon do it's stuff. Thanks!Spot on,

Its like the Denon is just gently pushing the amp to one side & saying thankyou for wanting to help but i can manage alone, to many cooks & all that ha

I dont know about your Amp Davo but with my Pioneer i can actually turn the video scaling off as it was recommended i did that as the faroudja scaler used in it wasnt very good, i tried it & it wasnt really so i turn mine off so i just bypass it completely.

A

Anonymous

Morning. Right, I tried to update the player last night but kept getting a 'Disc Error' message. I think I'm doing everthing right, maybe someone who's done this could let us know how they did it. The problem is that there is only a .BIN file in the download and no .CUE file which you need for certain programs to be able to burn onto disc. I tried various methods - and discs! - but to no avail. I will try again this evening.

Jase, I do have a Universal disc, Hellboy II. We chatted about the problems I had with freezing on another thread! I will try that if and when I get my machine updated. One thing I did notice however is that the title of the update mentions Region B, am I right in saying our machines are Region A? Maybe that's the problem, who knows!

Cheers.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Dougie, UK is region B, I believe. USA is region A. Have you tried burning with Nero? Hopefully you'll have some success, as I can't wait to here if Hellboy plays ok on your machine....

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Davo2008:Hi Dougie, UK is region B, I believe. USA is region A. Have you tried burning with Nero? Hopefully you'll have some success, as I can't wait to here if Hellboy plays ok on your machine....This is correct Davo,

To what dougie has just been going on about i had the same trouble with it being a BIN FILE anyway my mate has just recently ordered the lastest firmware direct from denon they said they posted it out on monday so he should be getting it anytime now, so it therefore should download with no problems with it being from denon, ill let you know how we get on with it.

Just a thought to both you & Dougie do any of you have MSN messenger of any sort? if you have itd be nice to keep in touch with some one who has the same player & you can talk alot quicker on there & keep ea other up to date as sometimes you can miss posts on here, my address is jasefox@hotmail.co.uk if you wish to add, if not no problem at all.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys. Davo, I'm using Nero and got some tips from another site so will see how I get on later. I got through Hellboy II, I've got to say the PQ is superb although the new amp I've got wasn't set-up properly so wasn't getting HD audio. Got that sorted so I'll have to watch it again once the firmware is done
emotion-2.gif

Jase, interested to see how you get on with the disc from Denon. I'll send some contact details so we can keep in touch. Cheers.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Dougie, what did you do to get the amp to accept HD audio? What amp is it? Does it not accept it by default? Make sure you let us know when you get the firmware done! I can't find anyone that's successfully done it yet!

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Dougie G:
Hi guys. Davo, I'm using Nero and got some tips from another site so will see how I get on later. I got through Hellboy II, I've got to say the PQ is superb although the new amp I've got wasn't set-up properly so wasn't getting HD audio. Got that sorted so I'll have to watch it again once the firmware is done
emotion-2.gif

Jase, interested to see how you get on with the disc from Denon. I'll send some contact details so we can keep in touch. Cheers.
Hi Dougie,

Yes as soon as my mate gets it hes gonna download it & ill let you know how it goes.

Davos sent me an email so we can now keep in touch which makes it easier so if you want to send your details go ahead, no problem.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Davo2008:Dougie, what did you do to get the amp to accept HD audio? What amp is it? Does it not accept it by default? Make sure you let us know when you get the firmware done! I can't find anyone that's successfully done it yet!The amp should just accept whatever settings youve set in the BD players audio menu.

Like i think ive mentioned before that in the Denons audio menu the default setting is "audio mix" but its best to set that to HD audio therefore it bitstreams HD audio & the amp should then just simply decode the sound without you having to do anything to the amp.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Dougie G:
emotion-2.gif

When you say Dougie that you got through Hellboy 2 i take it you mean without any freezing issues? And is that without any firmware upgrades?

A

Anonymous

Cheers Jase, I'll be in touch later.

Davo, I decided to upgrade my kit as it was 8 years old and to beat the imminent price rises. After getting advice I plumped for the Yamaha RX-V3900. Watched The Dark Knight and was very impressed by the PQ and sound although the amp wasn't showing True HD. A wee bit of tinkering sorted that so I watched the first 20mins again last night and was blown away by the difference. Never thought it would be as noticeable as it was. Next purchase; sub-woofer
emotion-2.gif

Cheers.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Dougie G:
Cheers Jase, I'll be in touch later.

Davo, I decided to upgrade my kit as it was 8 years old and to beat the imminent price rises. After getting advice I plumped for the Yamaha RX-V3900. Watched The Dark Knight and was very impressed by the PQ and sound although the amp wasn't showing True HD. A wee bit of tinkering sorted that so I watched the first 20mins again last night and was blown away by the difference. Never thought it would be as noticeable as it was. Next purchase; sub-woofer
emotion-2.gif

Cheers.
Your gonna be even more blown away with sub inc Dougie,

I have 2 !! & its absolutely amazing ! Whilst i were watching The dark knight i felt that i was riding his bike with him , its a fantastic bluray espec the IMAX shots.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
and if you're playing a dvd does it default back to audio mix? Or does it take the best audio off the source and use that? And then when you stick a BD in, does it still come out as HD audio by default? I'm even confusing myself now!

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Davo2008:and if you're playing a dvd does it default back to audio mix? Or does it take the best audio off the source and use that? And then when you stick a BD in, does it still come out as HD audio by default? I'm even confusing myself now!It can get confusing but its not as bad as you think mate.

In the AUDIO menu of the Denon theres two different audio settings, one for bluray which is under BD AUDIO MODE & another for your standard dvds which is under HDMI AUDIO OUT.

Now under BD AUDIO MODE (bluray) the default setting is "mix audio output" what its best to do is change that & set it to "HD audio output" & in that mode it outputs True HD & DTS master in bitstream if however you were to leave it as "mix audio output" it will then output LPCM

And under HDMI AUDIO OUTPUT (dvds) you just leave it at the default setting which is "HDMI multi (normal)" as it then just decodes the primary audio, DTS, Dolby digital etc

So when youve set all the above you dont have to alter anything else, just sit back & enjoy the audio.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
cool. People are saying that uncompressed PCM is the best audio to use if it's available on the disc. Does that still apply with your advice above? Is Uncompressed PCM the same as LPCM?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Davo2008:cool. People are saying that uncompressed PCM is the best audio to use if it's available on the disc. Does that still apply with your advice above? Is Uncompressed PCM the same as LPCM?LPCM is what you set it to if your amp isnt able to decode the primary audio, for eg dolby digital or DTS lets say on older amps etc nower days most amps do.

As for uncompressed PCM ? Well, all the HD audio is uncompressed like True HD & DTS master audio its all down to personal preference really Dave? I mean they all sound fantastic in there own right, it also depends how good the film as been mixed, for eg ghost rider on bluray sounds absolutely great in uncompressed PCM however there isnt a True HD option to compare it with, now if you get a movie like (3.10 to yuma) thats mixed in 7.1 uncompressed PCM to me that sounds better than a regular PCM track, but like ive just said its all down to what you think is best, just like in the days of DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 & DTS that was always a good opinion divider, this is just the same.

But?....... if i had to choose between True HD, DTS master audio & uncompressed PCM id 1st go with DTS master then True HD then PCM.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts