Denon 1940 1080P upscaling juddering

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys and gals! Need some advice please.

I connected my Denon 1940 DVD player to my friends 37 inch Samsung LCD tonight ( I usually use componant into my CRT )

It played fine connected via HDMi set to both 576p and scalling up to 720p BUT when I selected either 1080i or 1080p the picture went mental! It went blurry and juddered or vibrated up and down very rapidly and was unwatchable!!

I tried two different DVD's and two different HDMI cables, same thing 576p and 720p were fine, 1080i or 1080p awfull blur and rapid juddereing up & down.

Any thoughts?

Thankyou in advance!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi there

We've had a number of posts on the same subject from other users, so we're investigating the issue in our test rooms. It only seems to happen with the Denon DVD-1940 when hooked up to certain Samsung sets, and only when the Denon is upscaling to 1080i or 1080p, which would suggest there's a conflict betwen the Denon's internal scaler and certain Samsung TVs.

We'll be testing a mix of Samsung TVs with the Denon and a variety of other DVD players over the next few days. We'll post something as soon as we have the results.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Clough"]
Hi there

We've had a number of posts on the same subject from other users, so we're investigating the issue in our test rooms. It only seems to happen with the Denon DVD-1940 when hooked up to certain Samsung sets, and only when the Denon is upscaling to 1080i or 1080p, which would suggest there's a conflict betwen the Denon's internal scaler and certain Samsung TVs.

We'll be testing a mix of Samsung TVs with the Denon and a variety of other DVD players over the next few days. We'll post something as soon as we have the results.

[/quote]

Thankyou Andy your comment is much appreciated!! At least i know that my Denon is functioning ok. Please can you tell me, when you get the results of the tests you're going to do, where will you be posting the results?

Thankyou

A

Anonymous

Anxiously waiting for the excuse of not properly testing an alleged "Award Winner".

A

Anonymous

[quote user="susanoo"]
Anxiously waiting for the excuse of not properly testing an alleged "Award Winner".

[/quote]

I really don't see your reasoning here, what hi-fi test kit sure, but using reference kit, they cant be expected to test every player on every tv! And they sure cant be expected to be aware of every possible incompatable issue! And considering they provide a free service here on the forum and don't actually HAVE to help us out here, I think your comment was a little unreasonable, they do not owe us any excuse. In all other aspects I am extremly happy with my Denon 1940

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Post will be up here first - we'll make it nice and clear in the subject line!

[/quote]

Much appreciated Clare thx! Quick question.

When this happened I was comparing my Denon dvd playback/scalling againts another DVD player. The other player upscalled 1080p fine onto the samsung, the best i could do was 720p and let the tv do the rest, 720p to 1080p. My player still looked better outputting 720p as opposed to 576p so I assume my Denons scaler is better than the TV's. However because the TV HAD to scale a little on top of that I assume, that would have degraded my DVD's player picture quality potential a little due to having to be upscalled twice, 576p-720p (player) 720p-1080p (TV)

In other words is it reasonable to assume that HAD my player worked ok at 1080p then my Denons picture would had been better than it was due to a better scaler and the signal being upscaled just the once?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="susanoo"]

[/quote]

Did you like your Christmas present?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="susanoo"]

[/quote]

What a stupid comment!

A

Anonymous

I rang denon and was told they are aware of the issue and said that when tis happens set the TV type in the Denon to NTSC. Yes I know it a PAL disk, I said this to them but they said for some reason when this issue occurs, setting the Denon to NTSC instead of MULTI should sort it.

A

Anonymous

If you output PAL disc contents as NTSC, the picture quality would be downgraded in theory.

ie 576i 50Hz is converted to 480 i/p 60Hz frame and resolution-wise.

Do you notice any degradation ? If you do I would have thought it's a product defect.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="garethwd"][quote user="susanoo"]

[/quote]

What a stupid comment!
[/quote]
Fare comment, an "award winning" product shouldn't have failing characteristics like this as alot of people see these "award winning" stickers as gospel.

In defence its really the company that makes the product to thoroughly test to ensure you receive the same quality no matter what equipment you use alongside and I believe the mag states alside all reviews the equipment they tested the products with and that the review is based on that test.

A

Anonymous

so the what hi fi team should test every combination of dvd and tv and amplifer in all there various settings ie: 480i&p 576i&p 720i&p 1080i&p with only several dozen dvd playes(if not over a hundred of each)it should onlytake about about 500 man hours to write a review of given equipment!

A

Anonymous

To get the ball rolling, I did some tests tonight on my Samsung LE37R87BDX 37" set with the Denon set to 1080i and 1080P. The Denon DVD1940 is connected to the Samsung TV's HDMI1 input.

The Samsung TV correctly went down to its maximum 1080i resolution (it's not a 1080P set) and everything I threw at it, whether it be stuff in 4:3, region 1, region 2 etc, all played properly without any juddering. The TV type was set to MULTI, which is the default.

Might be worth specifying the Samsung model numbers if you get the juddering so that it'll help the WHF team when they do their tests? Help them to help us, so to speak.

In any case, if the testing does mean a firmware update is required, I'd like to see them put an option for optical audio out delay in - after all if the 2930 has it...

A

Anonymous

Seems to be more of a Samsung LCD thing because this doesn't seem to happen with the Samsung Plasma's

A

Anonymous

My model is a Samsung LCD, which is why I thought it mentionable to note that it doesn't have that issue.

A

Anonymous

Well I recently bought the Samsung LE40N87BDX LCD set to support the Denon DVD-1940 and I get the same juddering you describe when I set this to 1080I or 1080P mode. I tried all HDMI sockets and I messed around with different region disks. NTSC disks work perfectly, but when using PAL disks, thats when I get the juddering.

If there is solution to this problem that would be great as I love both the telly and the player and would hate to get my money back on either!

A

Anonymous

I've done some further research as nobody here has replied to my thread as yet (should I really bother with this?!!)

I have contacted Denon Customer Support and they suggested the following setting alterations:

In the Setup menu of the player under custom and then
Video, Set Display Type to NTSC as apposed to Multi. Prog
Mode to Video 3 and change HDMI out from Y Cb Cr to RGB.

This seems to sort the juddering, so I compared my original picture with the PAL version of Revenge of the Sith and NTSC 1080P seems very blurred compared PAL 720P. I then changed the DVD player picture setting to HDMI advanced and set the picture controls to: Brightness +2, Gamma Corr +3 and Sharpness +3.

This improved the picture marginally, but still not as good as PAL 720P.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

blakenhall

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
We have the Denon 1940 connected to a Panasonic Full hd TX-37LZD70 with a 1mtr QED HDMI-P cable, we have not experienced any problems with upscaling judder playing PAL dvd's and also AVI files with the Divx. The picture has been amazing.

The setup display settings are default apart from TV = 16.9, Vid out = Component P.

HDMI setup = 1080p.

Picture Controll = all as default.

A

Anonymous

If the Panasonic works okay, then it could be fault with the television (Denon did suggest I test my player on another telly). I have contacted Samsung in case they have any further thoughts on the subject.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="smeg4brains"]
I've done some further research as nobody here has replied to my thread as yet (should I really bother with this?!!)

I have contacted Denon Customer Support and they suggested the following setting alterations:

In the Setup menu of the player under custom and then
Video, Set Display Type to NTSC as apposed to Multi. Prog
Mode to Video 3 and change HDMI out from Y Cb Cr to RGB.

This seems to sort the juddering, so I compared my original picture with the PAL version of Revenge of the Sith and NTSC 1080P seems very blurred compared PAL 720P. I then changed the DVD player picture setting to HDMI advanced and set the picture controls to: Brightness +2, Gamma Corr +3 and Sharpness +3.

This improved the picture marginally, but still not as good as PAL 720P.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

[/quote]

You're not the only one doing their homework, Iv already stated in this thread (10th post from start) that I rang denon and they told me, set TV type to NTSC to stop juddering. Its gutting that the picture loses quality when you do this. Moral of the thread, avoid Denon 1940 and Samsung LCD 1080p panels.

A

Anonymous

Yep I think you're right. I'll bite the bullet on this one and go for a different upscaling player as Samsung cannot help me as well.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="smeg4brains"]Yep I think you're right. I'll bite the bullet on this one and go for a different upscaling player as Samsung cannot help me as well.[/quote]

What did Samsung say about the problem smeg?

A

Anonymous

Not much I'm afraid, although they did ask me (due to the 'technical nature' of my query) that I speak to a member of the Product Support team. I have not done so as yet though, but I'm not holding out much hope.

A

Anonymous

I wondered, have the what hi-fi staff got to testing various players with Samsung TV's as of yet?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts