upscaling questions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am trying to get the best out of my kit, I believe my weak link is the br of which i am looking into small upgrade probably denon 2500 as it seems great for money and i watch the film not the extras so not really worried about bdlive etc.

I have pioneer 5090h,yamaha rx765 amp,sky hd,LG370 br

When watching blurays i put br to 1080p, dvd br to 576i hdmi setting ycbcr for both

My amp has always been on 1080p should i put this to through and leave pio to upscale,

Reason i am doubting is my old pio in daughters playroom played UP today on DVD which i struggled or think looked better than the Bluray version we played on my set up!!! Old pio is hd ready approx 4yr old lovely picture,

5090h and setup is maybe 5 months old

When i change channel tv tells me 576p when on sd is this correct

I have skyhd box put to auto so tv will upscale, but why does my amp if on straight only play 2.1 sound even on HD I have to use sound fields for surround. Sky is connected with hdmi and optical.

Sorry for so many questions hopefully someone out there will help

Thanks in advance

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Id have the tv upscale everything ~ 576p is fine (That said, sky boxes are quite odd, try 1080P with the box scaling too to compare)

Sky wont output 5.1 down hdmi, you need to fit ether an optical or coaxial digital cable

A

Anonymous

Thanks for quick reply.

I do have optical out from sky to opt in amp, As well as hdmi Is this not correct to carry 5.1

A

Anonymous

Your pioneer Tv has probably got one of the better inbuilt scalers around, the one in your Yamaha will not be as good, so you need to set this to Through.

If not your Amp will scale anything it receives to 1080p, then your pioneer tv will will just accept that signal and do nothing with it.

Also set your Sky HD to auto, and let the TV do the processing for that, as the scaler in the sky box is really bad.

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks it is as i am doing then,

How about when i play a br should i set br to 576i as i do with DVD and leave for tv or set as 1080p

A

Anonymous

I would try it both ways and see which you prefer, I have not seen the LGBD370 in operation so it would be difficult for me to point you in the right direction.

If however you do go for the DVD-2500BT, then let that do the scaling, as I previously owned one and I know it is an awesome upscaler.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
iamthetimberman:

Thanks for quick reply.

I do have optical out from sky to opt in amp, As well as hdmi Is this not correct to carry 5.1
Sounds to me like the amps using the sound from the hdmi and not the optical

A

Anonymous

Is there anyway of finding/correcting this, I have taken opt out and red light is showing and also sound was still on tv so yeh reckon the amp not picking up opt,

So again anyone help please??

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I dont have your amp so cant give precise instructions

But basically all amps are generally the same

So for example ~ if selection '2' was for sky then youd need to designate whatever hdmi input sky uses and whatever optical input sky uses to '2'

That said, I believe not all amps will allow you to do that, which means id personally have the hdmi direct to the tv and the optical to the amp

A

Anonymous

Hi again

My amp is yamaha rx765 my sky is in input 4 as is opt input 4, So i can put sky hdmi direct to tv for picture and opt through amp for sound and this will all work as norm

Sorry for all questions not well into but slowly learning this av stuff

Thanks again

A

Anonymous

will try in the morning see what i can do thanks,

I have just put up another post on tv, A channel keeps changing screen size hopefully something i have been playing with!!!

Thank you aliEnRIK for your help

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts