Is DVD picture better on Panasonic BD35 than Denon DVD-1940?

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking into buying a blu-ray player, but I will not compromise on picture quality of my old collection of DVD's. They look stunning with my Denon DVD-1940 connected to my Panasonic PT-AE900E Projector with QED HDMI cable. I do not use the upscaler on the 1940, but let it output 576p instead. I find the picture much more deep, detailed and 3D like that way. The upscaling to 720p takes place in the projector who does a mighty fine job at that.

But, will I get the same beautiful DVD picture from the Panasonic BD35? I'm pretty convinced that the sound will improve as the 1940 is not very good at that point. But the picture is the most important part to me.

I'm not interested in both the DVD player and the Blu-ray player in my rack. The Blu-ray player will replace the DVD player entirely.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Peter Larsen:
I'm looking into buying a blu-ray player, but I will not compromise on picture quality of my old collection of DVD's. They look stunning with my Denon DVD-1940 connected to my Panasonic PT-AE900E Projector with QED HDMI cable. I do not use the upscaler on the 1940, but let it output 576p instead. I find the picture much more deep, detailed and 3D like that way. The upscaling to 720p takes place in the projector who does a mighty fine job at that.

But, will I get the same beautiful DVD picture from the Panasonic BD35? I'm pretty convinced that the sound will improve as the 1940 is not very good at that point. But the picture is the most important part to me.

I'm not interested in both the DVD player and the Blu-ray player in my rack. The Blu-ray player will replace the DVD player entirely.

I used to have the Denon 1940 and now have the Sony S550 (similar league as the Pana you mention). The Sony gives me a better picture with dvds for sure - and I loved the Denon.

A

Anonymous

I have just made exactly this swap! Had the same concern and currently still have both players. The answer is that the Denon is now on ebay! Tried the same DVD in both players on a Panny 42" PZ85 with the 1940 outputting at 1080p through HDMI (never thought of leaving it at a lower setting) and then in the BD35. I couldn't detect any difference. Whether you will through your projector I can't say but I was trying to be deliberately fussy. Sound was also the same as far as I could tell.

And the Blu-ray (only have Wall-E at the moment) is stunning! Makes you wish all TV broadcasts would switch to HD immediately! This is definitely the way forward!

Would have thought as well that if you have a HD projector it would be best to go to Blu-ray for all new discs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts