Demoing....Spendor.

audipheonix

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Its was quite surprising when I got a sms from a local dealer for a invitation to come and listen to a pair of Spendors S3/5R2 (cause I am from Kolkata,India). In here you dont have so many brands let alone demoing. So I was very egerly looking forward for the demo. I took some of my fav CDs

1, Dark Side of The Moon

2. Dire Straits.

3. Enigma

4. Some Jazz Music

5. Enigma MCMXC A.D.

6. And some local Country Music.

Equipment Used:

Exposure 2010 amp and cd,Marantz CD5004, Ayon Tube Amp( Made in Austria),Line Magnetic Tube amp.

Spendor s3/5r2, Q acoustics 2020i, Usher S520, User Dancer Mini One Diamond DMD, Usher V640, Paradigm Monitor 9.

Spendor: Firstly the look from this speaker was not very convincing as it was smaller than my Kef Q100. But boy when they started to play they were a treat to listen to. I could place every source of the sound in the presentation and where they are coming from. I started with dire straits - romeo and juliet and it was exquisite. Knopfller's voice was coming from behind the speakers and all the instruments were playing to his left and right. The presentation was clean and clear with details I havent heard before . The imaging and soundstage was precise and huge coming from a small speakers. The only thing that was a bit lacking was the bottom end extensions was not that deep enough, but the speakers will let you forget that as you will start to flow with the music. Over and all I was emencely satisfied with the demo and thought that I will never be able to hear a speaker with this calibre.

I was also impressed with the Exposure amp performance it is a very neutral amp andagile too. The spendor are not that sensitive only 84 db but the amp drove it well with excellent scale and dynamism. Then the ower was happy enough to offer me a demo of usher s02 and 2020i. As I heard good things about 2020i so I wanted to listen it first . After the spendor it was expected that i will be dissapointed with them . They are good budget speakers but has some limitation in sounstaging and the overall clarity. This could also be a case as the 2020i where fresh out of the box as they open it in front of me. So I moved on to Usher s502 which I honestly never heard of but the owner insisted that I do Give them a listen. So 2020i was replaced by s502 and Oh! bay was I surprised , It was wonderful .Soundstage , Imaging ,Bass extension was excellent. The top end was crisp and clear the mid were fluent and it has got some good puch also . I was Listening to Enigma and felling as I was sitting in a big Church.This are definitely good budget speakers.

I have never listen to vinyl before but always wondered what it was like , especially when going through the fomur entries for various vinyl lover that this is altogether a diff experience. So when the owner asked me if I would like to hear them I couldnt resist. So he played John Laughling Live performance through his tt I couldnt remember the name but i could see it was solidly built with a big mettalic platter . connected to the Ayon Amp and Usher Diamond. The Sound was simply out of this world . It knocked the socks of me. As if they where playing in front of me. And with each record he played the experience was enriched. Next it was WYWH and then Diana Krall live. The sound stage was so big that When I closed my Eyes it felt that the walss around me has dissapeared. It Was most satisfying.

As for the Paradigm They are not worth mentioning as they wher poor against the spendors and the ushers.

Sorry if you got bored by the long post couldnt control my excitement after the audition.

Thank You.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi and thank you for sharing your experiences... a very good review.

Will you be buying any of the equipment? if so, home demo if possible, before spending any money.

Mac

audipheonix said:
The Sound was simply out of this world . It knocked the socks of me. As if they where playing in front of me. And with each record he played the experience was enriched. Next it was WYWH and then Diana Krall live. The sound stage was so big that When I closed my Eyes it felt that the walss around me has dissapeared. It Was most satisfying.

Hi audipheonix

The sound of vinyl. Black gold :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

audipheonix

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Macspur..

Very much tempted to buy the Usher S502 as it is within my budget. Home demo is not possible in here but the ower has assured that he can look into it. Will it be a upgrade in sound from my present Kef Q100, that I dont know. What are your thoughts?

P.S. Read the WHFReview of the Usher S502. Suprised as it was totally diff. from what they found. May be it was a out of box speaker,but what I heard was beautiful.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
audipheonix said:
Read the WHFReview of the Usher S502. Suprised as it was totally diff. from what they found. May be it was a out of box speaker,but what I heard was beautiful...

... and that is what matters in the end!

If a home demo is not feasible, maybe you could go back to the shop and take your own amp with you. See if it drives the Ushers equally well. What amp do you use, btw?

audipheonix

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Well I am running my Kef q100 on a Yamaha as500. Some tracks sound fabulous while other not so good. This could be the fault of my source as I use a 3.5 mm phono to connect the amp and computer.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
audipheonix said:
Well I am running my Kef q100 on a Yamaha as500. Some tracks sound fabulous while other not so good. This could be the fault of my source as I use a 3.5 mm phono to connect the amp and computer.

Unless your computer has a hifi-grade soundcard, you surely have some room for improvement there, indeed. A DAC with USB-input in between will probably give your music a great leap forward. And IMO you needn't spend big money on it. Others on the forum are far more knowledgeable to give you some specific tips; you might start a new thread if they don't pop in here. Or search the DAC section of the forum, cos that question has been raised before (more than once).

So I would take the amp to the shop, and leave the source up to the dealer.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I use S520's (I assume thats what you meant by S502) and other speakers and they are indeed lovely creations imo. Beautifully made they sound much bigger than they look, something they have in common with many well designed small speakers.

I also find them well balanced. Not to much treble, not to much bass. They don't fart like some boxes do and they dont take my ears off.

I really find them very, very nice and a couple of years ago I would have struggled to find anything else at the price which I would have whole heartedly suggested. - There have been new speakers since then so I can't really compare them with the latest ones unfortunately.

If there are weak spots (and what speaker doesn't, no matter what the price) its the front port. - I can hear it and it can be a little obvious at times. Time smear and audible internal reflections. - I have internally re-wired mine but left them otherwise alone. The cabines are well built/damped and there wasn't much to be gained other than moving the port (or block/part-block it, as I do).

If this sounds damning, I've heard much worse offenders in that respect; Hello Rega and hello Kef. But it is also worth mentioning that both these are imo excellent speakers in other respects.

I say it again, imo... if you must have a port, either put them on the back or, better, fire downward. - Transmission lines are not the perfect solution either, before anyone thinks they are.

regards

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
:clap:

it is so much fun to demo, isn't it???

The Usher S520 some one said that they are most well kept secret in Hi-Fi, never heard them though!

Exposure 3010 is on my short list if I deside some day to upgrade my Rega Brio R,now you just sharped my curiosity...

It is so nice to be surprised with equipment that don't cost an arm an a leg!

Nice wrighting!

Thanks!

:cheers:

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
:clap:

The Usher S520 some one said that they are most well kept secret in Hi-Fi, never heard them though!

Exposure 3010 is on my short list if I deside some day to upgrade my Rega Brio R,now you just sharped my curiosity...

It is so nice to be surprised with equipment that don't cost an arm an a leg!

That may of been me who mentioned that, as I'm quite a fan of Usher speakers.

I've heard the Exposure 2010 amp and CDP (not at the same time) and was very impressed by the make, especially the 2010S CDP. Still one of my fav sub-£1000 CDPs. IMO it betters the original Apollo.

audipheonix

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking what if I change my Kef Q100 for the Usher s520? Will it be an upgrade or a sideways move.

To HiFi Outlaw: The exposure 2010 amp and cd was a stunner. Solid build with great sound, more so because it sounded good with almost every speakers present.

PS: Seems like good day are comming just heard Focal has opened a Excl.Showroom. Will try to demo some Chorus and Electra series. :bounce:

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi audipheonix

I share your impression of Spendors - although they tend to lack a bit of bass welly, they make up for it with their sheer musicality in other areas. I've found Spendors to be very unfatiguing speakers to listen to - they may not grab your attention when you first listen to them but they really grow on you.

Cheers!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
audipheonix said:
I was thinking what if I change my Kef Q100 for the Usher s520? Will it be an upgrade or a sideways move.

To HiFi Outlaw: The exposure 2010 amp and cd was a stunner. Solid build with great sound, more so because it sounded good with almost every speakers present.

PS: Seems like good day are comming just heard Focal has opened a Excl.Showroom. Will try to demo some Chorus and Electra series. :bounce:

Looks like a sideways move, WHF review is not very good either, I would try the Kef R100s.

audipheonix

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes the Usher S520 did sound good and I am definitely going to compare them with my kef before jumping in,on a second thought i could save up some more and go for better ones in the future.But to answer why I was asking is I am getting a good deal from a customer who is looking for the kefs so I could sell those and replace them with the usher with spending any from my pocket. :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts