Decided on Marantz 603 but what floorstanders to pair with it.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After extensive (online) research I've settled on getting the 603 but I need to pair it with some floorstanders (under orders o the Mrs for visual reasons).

I'm looking at spending around £300 or less but want them to be capable of playing well with my old Marantz 7200 amp, just in case the lounge gets re-arranged, again!

I've not really paid much attention to developments in the world of Hifi in a long time so my question I guess is really would I be better off going for lower end new speakers or getting something 2nd hand of a higher grade like some old Mission 75 or 73 series?

Any help would be much appreciated, my constant research is wearing a bit thin with the Mrs and I seem to be going round in circles now.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
booga13 said:
After extensive (online) research I've settled on getting the 603 but I need to pair it with some floorstanders (under orders o the Mrs for visual reasons).

I'm looking at spending around £300 or less but want them to be capable of playing well with my old Marantz 7200 amp, just in case the lounge gets re-arranged, again!

I've not really paid much attention to developments in the world of Hifi in a long time so my question I guess is really would I be better off going for lower end new speakers or getting something 2nd hand of a higher grade like some old Mission 75 or 73 series?

Any help would be much appreciated, my constant research is wearing a bit thin with the Mrs and I seem to be going round in circles now.

are you buying from new? or would you consider second hand?

A

Anonymous

I'm happy enough to go down either route, I know there are some great 2nd hand bargains out there I'm just not sure how they would pair up with the 603?

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Well maybe look at.

Acoustic Energy Neo 3. @ £359

MisSion MX3 @ 349

Wharfedale Dimond 10.3 @ 259

ex demo Castle Knight 3 but email ability might be an issue

Second Hand : Monitor Audio BR5

The Castle Knights would probably be my best of the above.

The Monitor Audios would do very well indeed if you can find them.

A

Anonymous

So long as I can find something in a black finish I'm good, although, I can probably re-finish anything wood (I'd rather not but I'm flexible) sounds like you have something deemed as quite unattractive in mind?

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, liking the BR5s and I think I've found some in my price range, I did look at the Tannoys at Richer but was a bit put of by comments on WhatHiFi review regarding needing lots of space behind, it's going to be fairly tight behind them so I'm goign to rule them out for now.

I have found a few interesting items in my hunt today, some Dali Suite 2.8s, some Ruark Templars and some Ruark Talisman II, all (currently) well within my range, they all review very well but would the little 603 be OK to drive them? Particularly interested in your views on the Dali 2.8 for the front porting

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Make sure you audition the Taliman II's very carefully, while excellent natural sounding speakers, they can come across very bass light with a lot of systems, in fact it's the biggest issue I've got right now. Maybe they'll be substantial enough with a sub

A

Anonymous

My Tannoy mercury v's are 14 cm from the wall and they sound excellent. Backed right up and the bass was not as clean but with breathing space ... Wow

A

Anonymous

OK, I can't really audition the Talismans so I'd better rule them out unless they go for peanuts and I guess the Tannoys are back on the list, I can probaby get to listen to them at my local Richer, I won't have 14cm space behind but, looking at their depth, I reckon I can get away with about half of that.

Anyone on the Dali Suite 2.8s? Really liking the the flexibilty (poisition wise) of the front porting but unfortunately they're another one I won't be able to demo.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I know the 2.8

Very nice speaker..... needs space ......great sound if given so.........huge......4 ohms ,so like it up um, so to speak.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts