Damn sales people - lg 55eg960 OLED vs Samsung 55ks9000

Henryjames

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
So I went in to curry sauce today to narrow down my choice,

'had a look at the 58" pana which was pretty good, but then perused the new Samsung 8 series,

and 9 series, Currys had the latest 55ks9000 on display at £1999 next door to the older LG 55eg960 OLED, (was £2500 now £1999) so the same price, (the 8 series was £1800)

'and the comparison was interesting, the new Samsung blew the older 4K screens out the water, that were looking decidedly 'Simpsons' in comparison (overly vibrant colours etc), all screens were playing the same content at the same time so made for a good comparison. But the older OLED LG I think gave the best picture, much deeper blacks and a better more natural image, with increased contrast. Sure not the latest most exciting new tech etc, and maybe it's my love of a bargain, but it seems better to go for a slightly older model and get this for a good deal?

question now is (assuming I bump my budget up to £2K) is it better to get the older OLED than the latest Samsung?

D

Deleted member 2457

Henryjames said:
So I went in to curry sauce today to narrow down my choice,

'had a look at the 58" pana which was pretty good, but then perused the new Samsung 8 series,

and 9 series, Currys had the latest 55ks9000 on display at £1999 next door to the older LG 55eg960 OLED, (was £2500 now £1999) so the same price, (the 8 series was £1800)

'and the comparison was interesting, the new Samsung blew the older 4K screens out the water, that were looking decidedly 'Simpsons' in comparison (overly vibrant colours etc), all screens were playing the same content at the same time so made for a good comparison. But the older OLED LG I think gave the best picture, much deeper blacks and a better more natural image, with increased contrast. Sure not the latest most exciting new tech etc, and maybe it's my love of a bargain, but it seems better to go for a slightly older model and get this for a good deal?

question now is (assuming I bump my budget up to £2K) is it better to get the older OLED than the latest Samsung?
Really hard question to be honest. What about the Panasonic 58dx902 for £1999? You can get John Lewis to price match.

Henryjames

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Argh another option, but sadly I have to have a central stand so that one is out.

ive come to my senses and had a look in the wallet and its either the lg 55EG960V (£1500)

or the pana
TX58DX750B (£1189)

''so the smaller more expensive LG but with OLED and arguably the better picture

or the larger Panasonic with a worse picture, but a £350 saving......

gel any thoughts here?

D

Deleted member 2457

Henryjames said:
Argh another option, but sadly I have to have a central stand so that one is out.

ive come to my senses and had a look in the wallet and its either the lg 55EG960V (£1500)

or the pana

TX58DX750B (£1189)

''so the smaller more expensive LG but with OLED and arguably the better picture

gel any thoughts here?
I am a massive OLED fan so would go with the LG. Can you get the LG on discount then? Ta

With the LG make sure you get the ZD model because that has HDR on and 4K via HDMI. There was an earlier ZA model you don't want that. It's says on the box and on the back of the TV ZD.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Henryjames said:

or the pana

TX58DX750B (£1189)

gel any thoughts here?

the panasonic is not even better than the JS8500 from last year, 8 bit panel and lower peak brightness compared to the samsung. you'd be better of going for last year's JS9000 (if anywhere still has one available)

Henryjames

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Amazing! Just ordered through Currys with code for £1900,

Always good getting a TV that was £3800 for £1900!

will let you know thoughts upon set up, thanks gel

D

Deleted member 2457

Henryjames said:

No probs, great deal. Nice one!

D

Deleted member 2457

Ask for a refund then do a price match at John Lewis for £1800 and then add your code TV100 to get it for £1700!

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Remember most TVs these days have a store Demo mode that is brighter than the normal ones and is designed to sell Brand A's TV rather than Brand B's.
Worth asking them to turn all that off and let you do side-by-side comparisons in "normal" mode, preferably with a DVD or Blu-Ray you're already familiar with.
Just sayin'....

D

Deleted member 2457

You can still price match with John Lewis at £1800 for 7 days after purchase.
thumbs_up.gif

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Henryjames said:

I'm just coming to this thread after several days away. In your post above, you don't actually say which television you ended up buying?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Henryjames said:

I'm just coming to this thread after several days away. In your post above, you don't actually say which television you ended up buying?
So not only me then.

Son_of_SJ said:
Henryjames said:

Based on the price, it's got to be Panasonic 58dx902. Price matched Panasonic store's price with Currys for £2000 and got further £100 off.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts