Damaged LX5090 Screen, any hope?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
bigboss said:
I hope the OP's issue is sorted, now that the thread has gone widely off topic!

I'm as guilty as anyone here. We should probably discuss Panasonic plasma issues on one of the several threads dedicated to these televisions.

Likewise, I hope the OP's made some progress. (If you're reading this, post to let us know how you're getting on.)

fair point, could use a generic "Panasonic TV faults - Warrantee Problems" thread, not only to prevent subject-creep on other threads but maybe also to help someone at a future date email a simple link to their CEO that captures all the issues in one thread (he said, bathing in the naïveté of thinking they'll care. :))

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
mr malarky said:
recent forum posts would suggest that if your TV were to jump off its stand, slap you roundly across the face, sleep with your nearest & dearest before taking your car for a quick spin round the block and then kicking back with a bottle of your finest wine and a fat cigar, panasonic would respond by saying "yeah, that's within spec for that model I'm afraid sir"..

Guess what? That's exactly what happened to me. Uncanny. :grin:

"Dear valued customer,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am able to confirm that the viewing experience you describe is within specification for the panel technology you have selected.

Thank you for choosing Panasonic, we look forward to meeting your AudioVisual requirements again in the future".

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
could use a generic "Panasonic TV faults - Warrantee Problems" thread

Agreed, though a "warrantee" is a person to whom a warranty is made, whereas a "warranty" is the document or agreement itself.

Your phrasing suggests problems lie with owners rather than the manufacturer. (Admittedly I've read posts suggesting we're all unreasonable and should learn to accept our televisions' shortcomings.)

Excuse the pedantry. It's a compulsion. I'm honestly powerless to stop it.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
mr malarky said:
could use a generic "Panasonic TV faults - Warrantee Problems" thread

Agreed, though a "warrantee" is a person to whom a warranty is made, whereas a "warranty" is the document or agreement itself.

Your phrasing suggests problems lie with owners rather than the manufacturer. (Admittedly I've read posts suggesting we're all unreasonable and should learn to accept our televisions' shortcomings.)

Excuse the pedantry. It's a compulsion. I'm honestly powerless to stop it.

Point noted and granted. :)

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Roundhead 5000 said:
Thank you mate, now I know what to call it. I need to know if it will get worse/spread etc, also if this is 'within spec' according to Panasonic. I have had the set for just over a year, and I have the five year guarantee, so I will start the ball rolling.

i didn't have any to start, now I have some! No doubt it will be within spec from panasonic, hate to say it but its similar to what I'm going through, only bonus you might have is the fact you can photo it on content

if you start keep us posted

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
Roundhead 5000 said:
Thank you mate, now I know what to call it. I need to know if it will get worse/spread etc, also if this is 'within spec' according to Panasonic. I have had the set for just over a year, and I have the five year guarantee, so I will start the ball rolling.

recent forum posts would suggest that if your TV were to jump off its stand, slap you roundly across the face, sleep with your nearest & dearest before taking your car for a quick spin round the block and then kicking back with a bottle of your finest wine and a fat cigar, panasonic would respond by saying "yeah, that's within spec for that model I'm afraid sir"..

:rofl:

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Ha ha, very good mr malarky......Ok so I've spoken to my retailer who told me to speak to Panasonic who put me in touch with a local-ish place that deals with my area, who have asked for photographic evidence as a staring point. If they feel the problem is visible enough to be a distraction (their words) They will send out an engineer. I think I can see the way this is going to go already.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Roundhead 5000 said:
Ha ha, very good mr malarky......Ok so I've spoken to my retailer who told me to speak to Panasonic who put me in touch with a local-ish place that deals with my area, who have asked for photographic evidence as a staring point. If they feel the problem is visible enough to be a distraction (their words) They will send out an engineer. I think I can see the way this is going to go already.

:wall:

there not even coming out without photo evidence! Best of luck, keep us posted

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
No surprize there then looks like your be joining the queue with all the other disgruntled panasonic customers i feel for all of you i have been through the same sort of problem in the past its not a very nice experience :wall:

Walt

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
I hope the OP's issue is sorted, now that the thread has gone widely off topic!

:oops: I was beginning to feel as if nobody cared about me or my Kuro :cry: .Curse that Mr Panasonic I will never buy one of his TVs now.

Walt

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
like anyone cares:hand: Pioneer engineer wisdom (x3) states the TV should not be operated to prevent further damage and the cheapest quote so far is £1700 inv VAT to replace the panel: no such thing as just replacing the glass Awaiting verdict of insurance assessor.

It's not economical to repair.....your insurer is likely to offer you an alternative TV as replacement. Start looking at other TVs. The problem is, the insurer will offer you a like for like TV, and considering the Kuro did not have 3D, the like for like replacement offer will be a cheap TV.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Walt said:
like anyone cares:hand: Pioneer engineer wisdom (x3) states the TV should not be operated to prevent further damage and the cheapest quote so far is £1700 inv VAT to replace the panel: no such thing as just replacing the glass Awaiting verdict of insurance assessor.

Put £200 towards it and get the samsung. :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Amazing pioneer still got panels after all these years

If they did a panel replacement you would in.essence have a brand new tv

But 1700 is a lot of dollar @700 it would probs be worth it.

No brainer to get a new tv really gives you the chance to go.bigger 55, 60 or 65

Walt

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
....or Currys vouchers.

I have just doubled my dose of Citalopram. I can see the screen taking on a very red tint if your prediction comes true.

I suppose it boils down to what constitutes like for like. So far my experience of my insurers has been good in that they have reached a reasonable settlement after minimal wrangling.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
They must give at least 12 months on.work like that

Plus unlikely to need the.warranty. Kuro solid.as rock

I personally couldnt go to an LED pay the extra and go OLED

Walt said:
I suppose it boils down to what constitutes like for like. So far my experience of my insurers has been good in that they have reached a reasonable settlement after minimal wrangling.

A couple of years ago, someone on the forum was offered a cheap TV by insurers for exactly the same reason (2D TV instead of 3D) which they constituted as "like for like". I'll see if I can find the thread.

Good luck!

Walt

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Big boss, I am tempted to go bigger. Alas I have little spare cash at present and there is no TV other than the 4D Sony which tempts me, or is as reliable as the Kuro. As a result I am sticking withe the repair plan at the moment.

Walt said:
Thanks Big boss, I am tempted to go bigger. Alas I have little spare cash at present and there is no TV other than the 4D Sony which tempts me, or is as reliable as the Kuro. As a result I am sticking withe the repair plan at the moment.

That's fine, as long as the insurer agrees for repair. I do not think it's worth spending £1700 on a repair. It's far cheaper to buy a second hand Kuro and sell your current one for parts.

TRENDING THREADS