Damaged LX5090 Screen, any hope?

Walt

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I

I have just discovered an 8cm high impact 'spider' in my beloved Pioneer LX5090 plasma. With the TV off the fracture looks deep when examined with a halogen light but apparently there is no pixel loss, just a prism effect along the fractures. Thankfully it is not in the centre of the screen but it is pretty upsetting . Standard forum advice appears to be replace the TV but since this is not possible on a like for like basis is it possible to have the TV repaired perhaps with a salvaged panel/glass or original parts? The Pioneer is the centre of my home cinema which took considerable blood sweat and tears (all my own unfortunately) and so I may be willing to pay an unreasonable amount to have it restored to its former self.

I am trying to convince myself that it does not detract massively from the viewing experience but I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has lived with such damage and whether the crack will worsen since I fear it started from a tiny chip in the screen.

All sensible advice gratefully received.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I think the last of the 5 year warranties Pioneer were offering have yet to run out, so they should still be providing full support, might be worth ringing Pioneer and asking for a quote for the glass to be replaced, assuming that's the only damage.

D

Deleted member 2457

It is going to be expensive, might as well buy a Panasonic plasma.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I think the last of the 5 year warranties Pioneer were offering have yet to run out, so they should still be providing full support, might be worth ringing Pioneer and asking for a quote for the glass to be replaced, assuming that's the only damage.

Yup, my warranty still runs till November this year, so spare parts should still be floating about.

D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
gel said:

What, so he can spend the next two years sending that back for repair instead?

Not everybody has problems, this year has been quite good. If he buys from John Lewis, he will be fine.

jolls

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Whereabouts are you? I recently purchased a 2nd hand Kuro from a Pioneer repair centre in Harpenden, Herts. The amount of spare parts they stock included glass for screens as I saw this with my own eyes. HTH.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gel said:
The_Lhc said:
gel said:

What, so he can spend the next two years sending that back for repair instead?

Not everybody has problems, this year has been quite good. If he buys from John Lewis, he will be fine.

Not necessarily.

I for one wouldn't touch another Panasonic product with a bargepole, their attitude to their customers sucks, and it's going to bite them hard in the future.

Back to the OP. Have you thought about Autoglass, apparently they have a special resin etc. etc.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Best of luck with your Kuro, a damn fine television.

D

Deleted member 2457

A new screen for a Kuro is going to cost about £1600 based on the quotes I have seen.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm presuming that the OP doesn't have insurance that would cover accidental damage to the tv, but then again, the insurance company wouldn't want to cough up £1600 for a repair when a cheaper replacement is possible would they?

If I was the OP, I'd ring around as many repairers as possible to get a quote, I'd also ring Pioneer to see if they can help, and if none of this proves fruitful, I'd try and source an affordable 2nd hand Kuro. I definitely wouldn't consider a Panasonic plasma.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
A new screen for a Kuro is going to cost about £1600 based on the quotes I have seen.

Where?? A second hand Kuro is cheaper.

A member on AV paid that, and we are going back a couple of years. I think his name is Wobbly or something like that.

I'm sure a 2-year old price won't hold true today. Worth ringing and checking. Cheaper to get a faulty Kuro from eBay and get a TV service person (with Kuro experience) to replace the screen. Obviously, get quotes for repair first.

Personally, I would get a new TV (I share BBB's sentiments of avoiding Panasonic).

Walt

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks guys. The advice was all helpful, even the bit about buying a Panasonic at least made me laugh. In honesty I have thought about going with the current WH Best Buy Panasonic but I am reluctant to 'ditch' a 2.5k TV with the potential hassle of a mounting a new TV with different cable points which are buried in the wall.

The info on Pioneer service centres was spot on and it will be interesting to see how much a repair may cost rather than people just spouting that it is cheaper to buy a new TV. I was hoping that someone might come forward with some experience of trying to have screen damage repaired since it seems so common but thanks again.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Walt said:
Thanks guys. The advice was all helpful, even the bit about buying a Panasonic at least made me laugh. In honesty I have thought about going with the current WH Best Buy Panasonic but I am reluctant to 'ditch' a 2.5k TV with the potential hassle of a mounting a new TV with different cable points which are buried in the wall.

The info on Pioneer service centres was spot on and it will be interesting to see how much a repair may cost rather than people just spouting that it is cheaper to buy a new TV. I was hoping that someone might come forward with some experience of trying to have screen damage repaired since it seems so common but thanks again.

And have you called Auto Glass yet? :p

Walt

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Walt said:

And have you called Auto Glass yet? :p

[/quote]:grin: :grin: you were wasted in carry on

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Why is it with all the issues with panasonic plasmas and the amount of posts on these forums from unhappy owners people still insist on recommending these useless tvs |(

D

Deleted member 2457

3937edwards said:
Why is it with all the issues with panasonic plasmas and the amount of posts on these forums from unhappy owners people still insist on recommending these useless tvs |(

Because the experts recommend them too, and I wasn't aware of many issues with this years!

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Strapped is having problems with his VT65, ellisdj has had his VT65 replaced. Only the ZT60 owners haven't reported problems on this forum so far.

That is not too bad.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gel said:
bigboss said:
Strapped is having problems with his VT65, ellisdj has had his VT65 replaced. Only the ZT60 owners haven't reported problems on this forum so far.

That is not too bad.

How many replacements and repairs have you had on Panasonic plasmas gel?

You also have to avoid rolling news programmes don't you gel, so how can a tv be great, when it limits the amount of time you can watch anything with fixed, prominent logos?

My Kuro never had this problem, and the Samsung's don't seem to have a major problem with it, so why do more recent Panasonic plasmas still suffer from screen burn and image retention?

The way Panasonic are dismissing faults with their tvs as within spec is almost criminal. There is no mention of all these "within spec" problems in their literature, or on their website, and the sales people of their authorised dealers never mention any of these problems when you buy a Panasonic plasma from them, yet this information is spouted by Panasonic once yout tv has developed one of these faults.

I'm not denying that the 2013 Panasonic plasmas have less problems, but they shouldn't have any problems at all, and if they do, they should be dealt with as a fault of Panasonic's, and not as a fault of the purchasers.

As I've said before, Panasonic have lost me forever.

TRENDING THREADS