Dali or Rel subwoofer

Steelmonkey

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm putting together a new cinema/hifi system, and I'm after some advice regarding subwoofers. I'm pretty set on a Dali Zensor setup with 3's at the front, Vokal in the centre and 1's at the rear, but I'm undecided on the sub. The Dali E12F seems logical (budget £500), as I really like some of it's features and it will integrate perfectly, however WhatHiFi always give it a bit of grief, making me look for alternatives. Recently in Sevenoaks Sounds I came across REL's T-5, and I was curious to hear your thoughts on either please? Music is an important part of the setup, so would this musical sub be the better bet?

I'm looking to get a Pioneer SC-LX58 (or it's immediate replacement) to run the system, and an Oppo 103D to spin the discs. Any guidance or words of wisdom gratefully received? Thanks

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Steelmonkey said:
I'm putting together a new cinema/hifi system, and I'm after some advice regarding subwoofers. I'm pretty set on a Dali Zensor setup with 3's at the front, Vokal in the centre and 1's at the rear, but I'm undecided on the sub. The Dali E12F seems logical (budget £500), as I really like some of it's features and it will integrate perfectly, however WhatHiFi always give it a bit of grief, making me look for alternatives. Recently in Sevenoaks Sounds I came across REL's T-5, and I was curious to hear your thoughts on either please? Music is an important part of the setup, so would this musical sub be the better bet?

I'm looking to get a Pioneer SC-LX58 (or it's immediate replacement) to run the system, and an Oppo 103D to spin the discs. Any guidance or words of wisdom gratefully received? Thanks

if your budget is £500 then my advise would be to look at the BK Subwoofers. no contest at that price point imo

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Personally i would go with either the Rel, BK or B&W, the last one i used with Dali Ikons 6's Vocal 2 & Ikon 1's and found very musical. it matched the Dali's very well indeed. So i kept it as you can see with my current system. Best option is to see if you can get a demo on any, or all of your chosen subs..

Regards . f1

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
When I decided back in 2012 to go with a MA Bronze set up, the Bronze sub was more expensive than the BK XXLS400 which had a much better spec and loads of great reviews. And speaking to BK they recommended the XXLS400 for a 50/50 setup (music/hc).

Compare the specs versus the prices.

Steelmonkey

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help and insight. Really helped me focus.

I managed to test several subwoofers at Richer in Cambridge. The Dali, A Cambridge Audio Aero, and a Rel T-7. The Rel beat them both by miles. And after talking to BK, I've decided to go for their XXLS400-DF. They are even going to fit the new auto power on/off circuit for me - a feature of their new P12. Result!

TRENDING THREADS