New REL vs old REL subwoofer

BlueMoon

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I have an old REL R-505 subwoofer running with Monitor audio GS60 setup and Yamaha RX-A2040 AVR but I feel I need to upgrade the sub. I mainly use my setup for music and wanted to know are the new REL's worth the upgrade. Alternatively, can somebody suggest a decent sub.

Thanks!

BlueMoon

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
It's all open a bit like a studio flat. But my system is in an area 5m x 5m. It's not an enclosed space. If you know what I mean.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What is the full size of the open area?

Do your speakers have any loss of bass as a result this area?

Are you looking for real depth and slam, or just a bit of filling in of the lower register, from a tight sounding sub?

BlueMoon

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much for that. Which are the single subs? I'll probably sell a kidney for it.*lol* Also, will the two subs you suggested, make a considerable difference. Thank you once again.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Sub you already have, is a 1k sub from a decent manufacturer.....so 1k subs won't bring substantial improvement.

It is possible that 2 subs might work better than one, depending on the size and awkwardness of your room...but I can't say for sure. For 2 channel, having 2 subs can work better.

Subs that should give a small, but noticeable step up would be:

- SVS SB 13 Ultra

- Velodyne SPL 1200 Ultra

Going up a level again:

- JL Audio Fathom F113

- Velodyne DD Plus 15 (or 12)

You could give the guys at BK Electronics a call and pick their brains...they are a good bunch.

I won't tell you what to do, but throw out some thoughts. You have a half decent sub, so need to tread carefully, or you could feel disappointed if you don't get this right.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
A BK XLS400 is pretty much the same as what you have now so depending on why you think you need a new sub adding a second one might not have the effect you want.

Why do you feel you need a new sub, I can guess but its actually important to know please?

Sorry if I missed it if you have written it already

BlueMoon

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
A BK XLS400 is pretty much the same as what you have now so depending on why you think you need a new sub adding a second one might not have the effect you want.

Why do you feel you need a new sub, I can guess but its actually important to know please?

Sorry if I missed it if you have written it already

Hi, thank you for your reply. I haven't auditioned many subs and feel that a better sub could probably improve the sound. I had a revel concerta B120 in the past with a different setup and that sounded well blended. This one has lots of base but its just base. It doesn't sound very crisp and does not blend well with the two gs 60's at the front with a matching centre and two GS20's as rears. Thank you once again.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If your issue is you want better bass rather than more bass it might not be the sub on its own.

It might well be the subs interaction with your room - from my knowlegde YPAO in Yamaha receivers doesnt manage bass

Auddessey does a decent job of managing your bass. So it could be related to this first then sub quality second.

BlueMoon

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
If your issue is you want better bass rather than more bass it might not be the sub on its own.

It might well be the subs interaction with your room - from my knowlegde YPAO in Yamaha receivers doesnt manage bass

Auddessey does a decent job of managing your bass. So it could be related to this first then sub quality second.

Do you reccomend a better AVR? Also, should I stick with the sub I have? Thanks

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Depends on what the real problem is.

If you have a freq issue caused by the sub placement / your seating position in the room another sub will be the same.

If before audessey in the denon was doing a better job of bass management than ypao in the yamaha you can replace it or just add some bass management to the system in the form of an antimode or a mini dsp unit.

However ideally it would help to know what the yanaha 2040 does and doesnt do in regards to bass management and eq? Do you know?

BlueMoon

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Depends on what the real problem is.

If you have a freq issue caused by the sub placement / your seating position in the room another sub will be the same.

If before audessey in the denon was doing a better job of bass management than ypao in the yamaha you can replace it or just add some bass management to the system in the form of an antimode or a mini dsp unit.

However ideally it would help to know what the yanaha 2040 does and doesnt do in regards to bass management and eq? Do you know?

I'm afraid this has started to sound too complicated for me. LOL. BTW I love your amazing setup.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BlueMoon said:
I'm afraid this has started to sound too complicated for me. LOL. BTW I love your amazing setup.

I don't get into the technical quagmire that Ellis so enjoys....but if giving advice to someone who may spend a lot of money based on that advice, it's important to understand, as much as possible, what the OP really wants/needs.

So, the advice will be different depending on:

- How important music is and what percentage of time is spent listening to it.

- How big the entire area is and whether 2 subs would work better....which is why I suggested ringing BK.

- How much you are prepared to spend (if you sell a kidney) and what that will bring to the party, especially if the better sub comes with its own decent EQ.

- Really getting to grips with why you want to change the sub.....and are there any measures you can take to improve the sound of your existing one....for example, if it's on a suspended wooden floor.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Thats my whole point - you might buy another sub and it be the same - then you have spent money not fixing your problem.

Its possible to add an easy to use device such as an antimode to eq your bass. If this is the problem I am trying to help you solve it.

Let me explain - if where you sit you have a 50hz peak in your bass.

50hz might be below the threshold of the yamaha receiver YPAO bass management and that is what you are hearing as A the cause of the "a lot of bass" and B the bad integration between your speakers.

Buying a much better sub you will still have this - doesnt matter what sub you buy.

However if you manage your bass better it might fix the issue then you can buy a better sub for better performance - not better integration.

All subs can be integrated perfectly with any speaker - its their outright performance that seperates them not their integration with speakers

BlueMoon

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Thats my whole point - you might buy another sub and it be the same - then you have spent money not fixing your problem.

Its possible to add an easy to use device such as an antimode to eq your bass. If this is the problem I am trying to help you solve it.

Let me explain - if where you sit you have a 50hz peak in your bass.

50hz might be below the threshold of the yamaha receiver YPAO bass management and that is what you are hearing as A the cause of the "a lot of bass" and B the bad integration between your speakers.

Buying a much better sub you will still have this - doesnt matter what sub you buy.

However if you manage your bass better it might fix the issue then you can buy a better sub for better performance - not better integration.

All subs can be integrated perfectly with any speaker - its their outright performance that seperates them not their integration with speakers

Anti-mode looks interesting. Should I go for one? Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts