DacMagic 100 VS Classic DacMagic

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I'm looking at buying a DAC and the CA DacMagic seems to fit my budget. My question is; should I look at getting the new DacMagic 100 or the older more classic DacMgic (Not Plus..). I know the latter is not in production, but assuming I can get my hands on one, is one better than the other?

The diff that I see with the 100 is that it supports sampling rates of upto 192 Khz while the older version only supports 96 Khz.Also the newer 100 has a WM8742 chip while the clssic dacmagic has twin WM8740.

I mostly listen to easy listening rock and jazz music and some times classical music.My primary source of music will be an old philps dvd player and am planning to set up some kind of network music player soon. Internet radio is also on the cards.

I know that newer is not necessarily better! What would you recommend between the two.

Advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

/A

Source: dvd player, computer

Onkyo TX 8555, Sony EQ 411, Jamo S 606

A

Anonymous

I meant this one --

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=320

CambridgeAudioCare

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi avinashraj,

The answer to this is a little dependent on how you intend to connect and use the DAC. The original DacMagic is 96kHz capable but the USB connection is limited to 48kHz and does not have an asynchronous function. If you are intending to connect the DAC over USB, the DacMagic 100 is a much better bet. In the context of the system you describe, it will depend a little on the amplifier you intend to use. The balanced output of the DacMagic can give it a performance advantage connected by optical or coaxial in a system that can make use of these connections up to the 96kHz point where it cuts off.

The DacMagic Plus obviously combines the advantages of both designs.

I hope this helps

Ed Selley

Cambridge Audio customer care.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks Ed S. Some followup questions:

I guess the USB capability is fairly important aspect to have in this time and age. My current amp does not have a balanced output interface and is unlikely that I upgrade to an amp that has one.

That said, the 100 does not have the filter feature available on the classic DAC. As subjective as this may be, and with all else being equal (gear), does one sound better than the other ? As a CA insider what would your pick be ?

Thanks,

/A

CambridgeAudioCare

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I've actually got one of each...

In the context of your system, I'd go with the DacMagic 100. I don't move the filters around on the others much and the USB implementation is great. The result is compact, pretty much futureproof and I enjoy listening to it. Job done!

ATB
Ed

TRENDING THREADS