DAC Question

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts or can help out re the DAC in my system.

I currently have a Mac Mini with M2Tech HiFace RCA running into a Dac Magic and then Cyrus 7 Amp with PSXR into Monitor Audio BX5's.

I have the opportunity of using a Cyrus DacMaster instead of the DacMagic and was wondering if this would be an improvement in the set up with the other Cyrus equipment or how the specs on this would compare with the DacMagic. I realise there is a difference in years and maybe technology but the Cyrus is mint and was a top performer in its day.

Unfortunately i cant get to trial it in the system before i can get it, so would like to hear some opinions....

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Well to answer my own question, wasn't impressed with the old DacMaster, preferred even the DacMagic when compared. But have now decided to move to the rDac which has improved the system sound considerably. Better bass definition, tight, opened the mid range and soundstage up and focused the top end and lot more making it crisper. I know there has been a lot of discussions and opinions between the two but there is a big difference for me between the rDac and DacMagic considering the relatively small price difference of around £80 ....the difference in price "sounds" a lot bigger. ...still... horses for courses with different set ups.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
The rDAC certainly seems to be the one to beat!

My cousin bought one 10 days ago and is still using the shop's demo unit as the shop has no stock for two weeks which must show how well they're selling.

I'd better get one before they decide to put the price up!

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Wow, crazy!! I picked mine up new cheaper than that with the postage!
emotion-1.gif
emotion-21.gif

Definitely the one to beat, it's also enabled me to use the M2Tech HiFace to it's full potential via the coaxial as it does 192khz through this rather than the 96khz max on the DacMagic. A noticeable difference allowing Pure Music to do the 64bit 192khz upsample and send straight through rather than the DacMagic upsampling.

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
roger06:
Where did you get yours? I'm starting to think I don't need to audition one but just get one...

A certain "Not Poorer" sounds
emotion-5.gif

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
TALON1973:whats the rdac like compaired to the audiolab 8200cdq ?

Think that's like comparing apples and pears!

The Audiolab 8200CDQ is the CD player and Dac of the 8200CD with the addition of an analogue/digital Pre Amp and over three times the price
emotion-42.gif

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
garyw77:

TALON1973:whats the rdac like compaired to the audiolab 8200cdq ?

Think that's like comparing apples and pears!

The Audiolab 8200CDQ is the CD player and Dac of the 8200CD with the addition of an analogue/digital Pre Amp and over three times the price
emotion-42.gif

well the whoel product might be 3 times teh price , but i'm more concerned if the dac in the audiolab is better than the rdac

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
garyw77:roger06:
Where did you get yours? I'm starting to think I don't need to audition one but just get one...

A certain "Not Poorer" sounds
emotion-5.gif

I see Richer Sounds are now refusing to deliver this. Honestly, you'd think a company like this would move with the times and actually embrace ecommerce and consider the environment. If I'm to buy this from them I've got to spend the best part of my Saturday driving to either Southampton or Brighton and pay for diesel and parking to collect it.

Needless to say, I'd rather pay the full £299 and get it elsewhere from someone who perhaps realises that as a working man with 2 kids I've not got time to visit one of their stores...

Aaarrgghhh. Sorry - didn't mean to hijack thread into a rant... but certain companies (Ikea being another) drive me mad!
emotion-12.gif

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I see on their site they don't have for delivery, but if i was you i would have a go at phoning your most local store and explaining. When i called mine to enquire they said they only had one left and if i couldn't get in for it immediately (therefore it might be sold) they were getting some more two days later and could arrange delivery for me. I did manage to go there but the option was there and they can do it. So if you explain how difficult to go there will be and you get a decent enough guy there i would imagine they would sort something out and deliver for you. Not trying to teach grandmother to suck eggs so to speak
emotion-4.gif
...Just an idea worth trying from my experience ...good luck
emotion-1.gif
emotion-21.gif

Richer Sounds

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi roger06,

I was sorry to read you've been having difficulties purchasing the Arcam rDac from us!

This particular model is currently in short supply meaning we give priority to our in-store customers over mail order customers.

However, I can certainly appreciate the frustration this must have caused for you and would therefore be more than happy to arrange to get one of these for you asap. Therefore, if you are still in the market for one of these units, please e-mail me with your contact details so that I may put the necessary arrangements in hand. My e-mail address is john.p.clayton@richersounds.com.

Meanwhile, my apologies for any inconvenience and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many thanks,

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts