DAC/pre with volume control and analogue input?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
chebby:Audio-T (Quad dealer) cannot find any on their database for any branch so no chance of listening first
emotion-6.gif

Here you go. Everything they stock can be auditioned in-store.

They also have the 9L Active.

Gopi

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
The Cambridge Audio NP30 seems interesting.

I also came across this second hand unit from Musical Fidelity - CD Pre 24 - interestingly has - CD player, DAC, Pre with analogue inputs as well and even an Analogue to Digital convertor.

http://www.audiooasis.co.uk/en/prodinfo.php?productid=SH-MUS-CD-CD-Pre%2024

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Interesting topic for me as I'm currently looking for the same. http://cypeurope.com/store/store/app/product/AU-D250 The above might be of interest.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If its not too contentious. There's a very similar thread running at the forum everybody loves to hate. I've only read a little bit as its not really of any interest, but there looks to be some options there.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
Interesting topic for me as I'm currently looking for the same. http://cypeurope.com/store/store/app/product/AU-D250 The above might be of interest.

As would THIS one.

It looks like this DAC is a generic rebranded model, probably an off the shelf product from some large Chinese manufacturer.

The Lindy LDAC and CYP AU-D250 look identical.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Peachtree NovaPre looks interesting. I think it's fair to say that while the power amp section of the iDecco, say, was good, the pre-amp section was very good, and so was the DAC, not surprising given it was designed by John Westlake at about the same time he was working on the Audiolab 8200CD, M-DAC, etc. so if the reports are correct that the NovePre comfortably outperforms using the pre-outs on the iDecco as well as the latest Decco and Nova models, it looks like a bargain. And Peachtree offer a slightly different house sound than some of the alternatives, like Benchmark, a bit fuller and more fluid, so good to have that option, which is bound to suit some. Also, I persomally quite like the Peachtree look.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have heard a few bad things about Peachtree and they look expensive for what they are, in UK it costs £800? The DAC is not meant to be that good and tubes only 6 month warranty and reviews say best not to use anyway.

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have an Audiolab 8200CDQ. it has a built in pre-amp of an excellent quality. the connectivity is great, anything you may wish. the built in DAC is also top qualty and overall produces a great sound. check all the reviews of audiolab 8200CD. It is same plus the pre-amp. volume controlled in digital domain. it also features xlr connections. on top of all it can play CDs. comes with a beautiful remote control too.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
I have heard a few bad things about Peachtree and they look expensive for what they are, in UK it costs £800? The DAC is not meant to be that good and tubes only 6 month warranty and reviews say best not to use anyway.

Each to their own, of course, but there have been a lot of very positive reviews of Peachtree products too, eg Hifi World's review of the iDecco a couple of years ago. The DAC is a John Westlake design using the same chips as in Audiolab's 8200 CD and CDQ and certainly when I heard the IDecco being used as a DAC a couple of years ago it stood up very well against an 8200CD - not better, but genuine competition.

There are other options, of course, but I woud want to audition the NovaPre if I were looking for a DAC/ pre with an analogue input at that price. With a decent pair of actives it might be just the ticket.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
That doesn't look like it's a pre-amp (despite what the description says), it only has a line out.

The bottom but one button is labled 'P Line' and allows you to select fixed or variable output.

Never been available in the UK through regular hi-hi type dealers, mostly online sales. It has a good reputation on sites like Headfi and others as a good low cost option as a dacpre/headamp.

Nicely made and finished but as I said above smaller than you might think, more flexible than anything near the price and a decent overall performance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts